The best, most nutritious eggs come from free-range, cage-free chickens. That’s why all Organic Valley chickens have access to green, organic pastures, where they spend their days clucking, strutting and pecking at bugs and earthworms. On rainy days, the chickens stay in the coop, but keeping them happy and healthy is still Organic Valley’s highest priority. And possibly the best thing about Organic Valley is that they’re not a giant corporation, but a cooperative made up of over 2,000 family farms (some right here in NY State), all pooling their passion and resources to bring organic food to the tables of people across the country.
OV eggs are tough to crack:
- Each egg contains 6g of organic protein
- Organic Valley eggs contain NO antibiotics, synthetic hormones, toxic pesticides or GMO anything
- Organic Valley goes beyond organic standards to provide extra outdoor space for foraging and exercise, more room for perching indoors, and guaranteed shade outside for the hot summer months
**ON SALE ALL MONTH**$3.99 (Reg $5.99)
You may have noticed, our health and beauty department is undergoing a renaissance. While we’re still carrying the tried and true brands that we know you love, we recently cleared some space for exciting new brands that really speak to our mission and values. Evanhealy is one such brand.
Evan Healy is a holistic aesthetician, a recognized pioneer and skin care expert who has worked in the natural personal care industry for over thirty years. With her eponymous skin care line, the focus is on three ingredients: oil, clay and water, time tested ingredients used by our ancestors to care for and beautify their skin for millennia. Oil-water-clay has always been and always will be the foundation of skin health.
A Beautiful Union
The hydrofoils that make up the backbone of the evanhealy line are gentle remedies that offer many benefits to all skin types, including toning, plumping, balancing pH, and delivering therapeutic compounds from the plant into the skin. A hydrosol is a union of oils and waters; a water-soluble compound from a plant paired with micro amounts of essential oils. Integrating a hydrosol into your daily protocol completely transforms the efficacy of your skin care, elevating it to the next level.
At Rising Tide, we carry a wide range of Evanhealy products, including two different kits that allow you to sample 14 days of their transformative skin care. The Rose Face Care Kit is for combo skin; the Blue Face Kit, for sensitive skin. Each contains five products that will allow you to see the effect they have on your skin. As Evan Healy said in Michael Pollan’s new book Farmacology, “Everyone’s taking about anti-aging. No one talks about beauty anymore.”
Evanhealy has sparked a conversation about natural beauty, and we are beyond thrilled to support that conversation and this new line.
At the farmers markets in Santa Monica, CA and Union Square, NY, SoCal native Tracy Stoloff discovered a healthier, more nutritious and creative approach to nourishing and feeding her family. It was here that she discovered naturally fermented, wild yeasted bread. Not only did she love the flavor and texture, this fermented sourdough became the vehicle for improving her gut health.
After re-locating to Montauk, she began her journey as a baker, committed to making bread the way it was made centuries ago, with three pure ingredients and lots of time and love. With plenty of trial and error, she created a bread that met her standards for taste and optimum health. Her bread had become a staple of her family’s diet, and she wanted to share it. Today she offers Night Owl True Sourdough throughout the Hamptons and Long Island, in Manhattan, and available to ship nationwide.
RT: What’s the origin of your name?
NOB: The process of feeding my leavens and fermenting the dough takes days, literally, so I decided to call it Night Owl and see how it would do at the local farmer’s markets. The response has been amazing, especially among professionals in the wellness community who appreciate the health benefits, and of course the wildly delicious taste.
RT: What is Night Owl’s mission/philosophy?
NOB: I am dedicated to offering a truly triple fermented true sourdough product. I am committed to the 86-hr fermentation in an effort to obtain a natural wheat bread with the most degraded, hydrolyzed gluten content. This means that the human gut can easily digest the trace gluten that remains. I am committed to this slow ferment, slow-rise bake that never relies on instant baker’s yeast.
RT: Who are the people behind Night Owl?
NOB: It’s a family affair. Mainly me , support from my partner in Night Owl and life, commercial Fisherman Chris Winkler, and my daughter Ella Stoloff. I am at the point where I need a full-time employee.
RT: What sets Night Owl products apart from other breads on the market?
NOB: All the flours used are triple fermented. We never use raw flour for anti-stick, kneading etc. There are no traces of “green”, “fresh” flour, ever.
RT: What’s the latest from Night Owl Baker? Anything new and exciting in the pipeline?
NOB: We are currently test-baking a line of fermented sourdough super thin crackers, and charcoal crackers made from the same dough—triple fermented, no raw flour.
RT: How would you describe the role sourdough plays for those pursuing a clean, healthy lifestyle?
NOB: True sourdough bread provides optimum, natural gut health via the naturally produced lactobacillus.
RT: When you’re not noshing on delicious sourdough bread… what are you loving to eat right now? What are your go-to’s?
NOB: We live off fresh bread, fresh fish, good cheese, whatever is in season at the East End farms. We’re eating radishes with everything right now. Fresh pesto is the highlight of summer treats.
RT: What’s your favorite recipe to make using your bread?
NOB: I really enjoy some Night Owl toasted thin, a little olive oil, hummus, thin slice of tomato. Avocado toast happens at least once a day. I love the bread with meat and cheese. Many of my customers enjoy sharing with me how they like the bread and I get a lot of great ideas from them.
RT: Rising Tide loves local! What has it been like to start and run a company in Long Island?
NOB: Pretty challenging. Space is at an absolute premium in the Hamptons. I was lucky enough to team up with Holly Gosman of Gosman’s Retail Gourmet market a few years ago. We cooked and prepared the foods for the market together and she has allowed me to use her ovens year around.
RT: What is something FUN most people don’t know about Night Owl Baker?
NOB: Prior to my bread obsession, I worked as an interior decorator. I had a vintage, homewares boutique back home in Topanga, CA.
RT: So many in this community dream of starting their own business. What’s your best piece of advice for launching a successful local biz?
NOB: Slow and steady, and have a back-up plan and a deep affection and belief in your product. Passion is a requisite.
Find Night Owl True Sourdough bread in the freezer section at Rising Tide.
Alden’s Organic Ice Cream is sensational, standing head and shoulders above other ice creams. And more importantly…it is so very clean, made at their own facility in Orgeon with only ingredients your grandmother would recognize. Plus it’s organic, so there are no GMOs, and no antibiotics or growth hormones (rBST).
Alden’s Round Ice Cream Sammies virtually scream SUMMER. Rich and creamy with a soft but firm cookie and a full inch of organic ice cream, this ice cream sandwich simply outdoes itself.
Try all three flavors:
- Vanilla (made with real organic vanilla)
- Chocolate Chip (made with real organic cocoa)
- Strawberry (made with real organic strawberries)
****ON SALE all month at Rising Tide!****
If you’re like most of us, you’ve been hearing a great deal lately from friends, family and the news about Cannabidiol, or CBD. Might CBD be for you? If you’re a science person, you may have noticed that much of the research being done on the benefits of CBD has been done overseas. Until now, that is. The passage of the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp farming here in the U.S., and ushered in a new era for CBD. Today, the sky’s the limit for research and potential uses for CBD, and we are beyond excited to see what this next stage will mean for natural health advocates and consumers alike.
Click here and here for additional background information on CBD and its potential uses.
One point that cannot be disputed…CBD is HOT! Products claiming to contain CBD oil are everywhere you look, even your local gas station. How can you know if you’re actually getting what they are purporting to sell? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved CBD products–leaving them largely unregulated–and companies that manufacture and sell CBD products have a great deal of liberty as to what they can put on (and leave off) their labels. As a result, many products either contain far less CBD than the label states, can contain myriad fillers, or aren’t CBD-infused at all.
Put Your Trust in Us
As a community leader in health and wellness, Rising Tide is committed to offering only agricultural hemp-derived CBD items from highly reputable companies, carefully vetted by our wellness and grocery experts with input from other independent natural food retailers in our INFRA co-op.
Here, you can experience CBD in various ways. First, we have CBD supplements, including those from CV Sciences, a nationally recognized pioneer in CBD supplements. Other CBD brands we carry include Green Gorilla, made from certified organic hemp; Medterra, and Upstate Elevator. (Check out these sites for dozens upon dozens of consumer reviews praising the positive effects of CBD.) Unlike products you’d find in a vape shop, all our CBD is 100% transparent, traceable from seed to shelf. In addition, every product you’ll find here makes available to consumers COAs (Certificates of Analysis) that indicate precisely what’s in their products.
In addition to the supplements, we carry CBD beverages, organic CBD kombucha, and organic chocolates made with CBD. Lastly, in our Health & Beauty department, we have soothing bath bombs and lotions made with CBD and essential oils.
Speak with our knowledgeable Wellness staff; they will share what they know about CBD, and how it’s helped so many of our customers. This is a great time to see what CBD can do for you. **Our entire line of CV Sciences products is ON SALE throughout June.**
Note: As with any other holistic approach, it can take time to see results with CBD preparations. While some will have instant results, for others it will take time to establish a baseline and see significant changes.
As more and more consumers explore natural ways to thrive, one ingredient has separated from the pack as a true “it” supplement: collagen. According to recent data, sales of collagen exploded in 2018, with more than $94 million in the U.S. supplements market and almost $7 million in the food and beverage market.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, our digestive system, and our tendons. As we age, collagen production in our body declines (think: wrinkles, joint pains and other pesky byproducts of getting older). Taking a collagen supplement has been shown to strengthen nails, hair and teeth, improve the health and appearance of skin, reduce joint pain, help heal leaky gut, boost metabolism, and more.
Ready to boost your body’s available supply of collagen? Incorporate gut-friendly Vital Proteins Collagen products into your daily routine.
*Vital Proteins Collagen products ON SALE thru May, $22.99-$34.99**
- Collagen Peptides: Toss into hot or cold liquids (coffee, or a smoothie) or use in baked goods.
- Collagen Creamer: Rich in energy-boosting MCTs, a type of healthy fat found in organic coconut milk. Whole 30-approved, these versatile creamers contain no artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, dairy, or gluten, and are great in teas, baked goods, and desserts.
- Beauty Collagen: Hyaluronic acid plus the essence of organic fruits helps bring the glow back to your skin while strengthening brittle hair and nails.
Color your Easter the natural way with Easter egg dyes made from herbs and plant colors. This fun kit from ColorKitchen comes with three colors (yellow/orange, purple, and blue) made from cabbage, radish and annatto extract; use to make an endless rainbow of color combos. BONUS: the box makes an egg drying tray. Kit includes a mixing brush and enough dye to make 1-2 dozen Easter eggs.
This kit is Earth-friendly in every way:
* Naturally sourced
* Artificial dye free
* Plant colors
Stumped for creative egg designs? Click here for inspiration.
We’re thrilled to introduce you to High Mowing Organic Seeds, Rising Tide Market’s valued source for organic seeds since 2015. What began with just 28 varieties in1996 in founder Tom Stearns’ backyard has since grown exponentially—a one-man operation now a thriving business making available to home gardeners and commercial growers over 600 heirloom, open-pollinated, and hybrid varieties of vegetable, fruit, herb, and flower seed. True to its roots, High Mowing Organic Seeds continues to grow many of the varieties they sell on its 40-acre farm in northern Vermont, setting them apart from the majority of other seed companies.
We’re just weeks away from the ideal time to plant your backyard garden—come in and check out our collection of Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified seeds, *coming soon* to the seed racks at the front of the store.
If you’ve tried it, you might be wondering…what makes Rising Tide Pumpkin Pie so incredibly delicious? Three important things, according to Rising Tide’s own Chef John.
- The uber sweet taste of condensed milk in most pumpkin pies is swapped out for the clean, fresh taste of organic heavy cream. We love this.
- Granulated sugar is tossed in favor of coconut sugar (lower on the glycemic index!).
- There’s no overpowering pumpkin spice here…just a subtle flavor of the season in a creamy, decadent filling with a delicious, flaky organic crust.
Let our Pumpkin Pie grace your Thanksgiving table…order from our Catering Menu today.
Make the last days of summer count! Hit the pool, barbecue wth friends and family, catch fireflies…and treat kids to colorful icy creations that light up their late-season smiles.
Forget about the freezer pops of your youth, with their long list of artificial everything. Deebee’s Organics Superfruit Freezies are 100% organic (and 100% fun!), freeze-at-home juice bars with no refined sugars, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives, and free of the top 8 allergens: peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy and wheat.
Bursting with real, organic fruit, Deebee’s Organics Superfruit Freezies help health-conscious parents give their little ones refreshingly delicious, icy sweet treats that everyone can feel good about.
Each box of Deebee’s Organics Superfruit Freezies contains 3 juicy flavors: Tropical, Strawberry and Grape.
Those of you who are true connoisseurs already know that July is National Ice Cream Month (yay!), and July 15 is National Ice Cream Day (double yay!). We have President Reagan to thank for this most creamy of holidays, as it was during his tenure that Congress passed a joint resolution inaugurating the day and the month, and signed it into law on July 2, 1984.
At Rising Tide, we love our ice cream, especially when it’s organic and made from minimal ingredients (like grandma used to make!). Two of our favorites are ON SALE for the occasion. If you’re not going to make your own, you cannot lose with one of these:
Alden’s Organic Ice Cream: Classic American ice cream made with hormone-free cream and milk, organic fruit and no ingredients you need a science degree to decipher. Clean and amazing and one of our all-time faves. (Available in: vanilla bean, mint chip, vanilla chocolate swirl and chocolate chocolate chip). Reg. $8.99, ON SALE $7.49/48 oz
Slim Twin Organic Ice Cream: With 24g of protein and just 240-320 calories/pint, organic Slim Twin ice cream is a cleaner, greener answer to those other low-cal, high-protein frozen desserts. (Available in: vanilla, mint chip, chocolate, mint chip, cookies and cream). Reg. $5.79, ON SALE $3.99/pint
With so much talk these days about opioid addiction and the side effects of many popular over-the-counter pain relievers, it’s more important than ever to have a safe, effective, natural pain squasher when you really need it.
Curamin Extra Strength—on sale at Rising Tide all month—combines natural pain-reliever Curcumin (the bioactive ingredient in turmeric) with anti-inflammatory Boswellia, mood lifter DLPA and the enzyme Nattokinese (helps ingredients move through the bloodstream so they get where they need to be!) for a potent nutrient combo that helps alleviate pain, with none of the negative side-effects of aspirin and other conventional pain relievers.
Highlights of Curamin Extra Strength:
* Shortens recovery time
* Helps you stay in the game, doing the things you love
* Fights inflammation throughout the body
Curamin Extra Strength is rarely on sale, so take advantage of this great June deal.
30 count, reg. $24.99: ON SALE: $19.99
60 count, reg. $59.99, ON SALE: $35.99
120 count, reg: $83.99, ON SALE: $66.99
Now when you order hummus at the Rising Tide Deli, you’ll enjoy the special recipe concocted by our very own Chef John. This fresh, creamy dip is notable as much for what Chef leaves OUT of it as what he puts in. (Hint: there’s NO cumin…for many of our customers, this is a huge plus!)
* Lemon juice
* Olive oil
* Sea salt
* Black pepper
We’re thrilled to introduce you to High Mowing Organic Seeds, our valued source for organic seeds since 2015. What began with just 28 varieties in1996 in founder Tom Stearns’ backyard has since grown exponentially—a one-man operation now a thriving business making available to home gardeners and commercial growers over 600 heirloom, open-pollinated and hybrid varieties of vegetable, fruit, herb and flower seed.
True to its roots, High Mowing Organic Seeds continues to grow many of the varieties they sell on their 40-acre farm in northern Vermont, setting them apart from the majority of other seed companies. Come check out our wide assortment of Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified seeds on the racks at the front of the store. We’re just about a month away from the ideal time to plant your backyard garden. Start planning now!
Assorted seeds: $2.75/each
***New for 2018*** We’ve got an entire rack of High Mowing Organic microgreens seeds! Studies show that microgreen plants contain up to 40 times higher levels of vital nutrients than their more mature counterparts. Choose from Red Beet, Russian Kale, Broccoli, Green Chard and more.
Microgreens seeds: $5.99/each
We’ve had great breads in the store before, but that doesn’t stem the excitement we feel at bringing our customers hand-crafted artisanal breads and scones—baked fresh daily—from Essential Baking Company
. All Essential Baking Co. breads are made using traditional artisan techniques combined with the best local, organic, and natural ingredients.
Great bread should not be complicated. Each Essential Baking Company recipe begins with just four basic ingredients:
*Unbleached Wheat Flour
*Naturally occurring yeast. (Essential Baking Co. uses its own sourdough starters, which allows its dough to go through a long, natural fermentation process that encourages naturally occurring yeast.)
Come check out these wonderful breads for yourself:
- Tuscan Baguette (Certified Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified) $3.99/each
- Fremont Sourdough (Certified Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified) $4.99/each
- 5oz Ciabatta buns $1.69/each
- Currant Scone $2.99/each
**Make GREAT Valentine’s Day Gifts!**
Diffusing fragrant, high-quality oils makes any room smell amazing. Essential oil devotees may also diffuse their favorite oil or combo of oils with the hopes of alleviating stress or anxiety, depression and insomnia.
Using an ultrasonic aromatherapy diffuser like the ones we’re featuring from Spa Room makes adding aromatherapy to your life easy and convenient.
The Aroma Pod: GREAT FOR KIDS (available in pink and blue). This palm-sized ultrasonic diffuser is the perfect tool for the littlest oils lovers, or for any small space. Requires no heat or chemicals for worry-free diffusion in kid-friendly spaces. A USB plug makes it easy and convenient, and great for travel. $19.99
HerbalAir: PERFECT FOR ON THE ROAD. This aromatherapy diffuser has a natural wood finish…and fits in your car’s cup holder! USB plug for portability, wherever you’re off to. $29.99
Spirale: ELEGANCE MEETS AROMATHERAPY A sleek white corkscrew design is a chic addition to the most stylish rooms. A soft white light mixes with the aroma mist for ultimate relaxation. $29.99
Cascade: WITH COLOR-CHANGING LIGHTS. The modern outer shell embraces the inner textured accent piece providing serenity for your senses. The beautiful, flowing design of the Cascade™ will mesmerize as the color-changing lights filter through the step-ladder inlay. $49.99
The new year is a great time to reassess different aspects of our lives, including our fitness and nutrition regimen. What’s serving us? What could be tweaked to help us meet our workout and weight-loss goals? All-important protein—a metabolism booster and muscle builder—is a great place to begin that review.
Garden of Life protein powders and bars are ON SALE for the entire month of January. Try out a few and see which best meet your needs. Garden of Life is an innovator in organic, non-GMO whole foods products, and a company we have always relied on for traceable, science-backed formulas that are as clean as anything on the market.
- Organic Fit High-Protein Weight Loss Bars (Green coffee bean extract to burn fat; Ashwagandha to fight cravings)
- SPORT Performance Protein Bars (20g of organic pea and rice protein)
Raw Organic Meal (Shake & meal replacement)
Raw Protein and Greens (Combo protein & greens)
Raw Organic Fit (Fat burning/weight loss)
Organic Whey Protein (Creamy grass-fed whey protein)
Organic Plant Protein (Grain free)
Check out what Garden of Life
is up to and decide what’s right for you. If you have questions about any of the GOL products we carry, feel free to ask Jen or any of our staff in the Rising Tide Wellness department.
For many bakers, food coloring plays an important role in making holidays prettier, more festive and a lot more fun. If you hesitate to use commercial food coloring filled with artificial food dyes, you’re in good company; consumer watchdog CSPI says artificial food dye can cause everything from hyperactivity and allergic reactions to cancer. (The group is actually calling for the government to ban three of the most common dyes. See how Europe took steps back in 2010 to rid its food supply of the toxic dyes.)
This year, choose food coloring you can feel great about. We’re so excited about the beautiful Holiday Tree Sprinkle Set from Color Kitchen Foods, along with their toxin-free icing in green, yellow, blue, orange and pink. All Color Kitchen products are made with simple ingredients, including pigments from vibrant plant sources like turmeric, spirulina, beet, radish, cabbage, and annatto. Plus, they’re vegan, gluten free, non-GMO and contain no hydrogenated oils. Just good, clean colors to magically transform all your holiday baking.
Here are some treats you can make this holiday season with your Color Kitchen Foods icing and sprinkles. YUM!
Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies (recipe from the photo on this post)
Candy Cane Mousse
Hanukkah Cutout Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies with Royal Icing
Red Velvet Cheesecake
Bone broth has been touted far and wide for its many health benefits. Better hair and nails? Check. Increased immunity? Check. Reduced joint pain/inflammation? Check. Improved digestion and a healthier gut? Check, check.
Now the healing power of bone broth can be yours every day of the week at Rising Tide Market. Our customers are over the moon for our NEW RT Broth Bar, which features Hormone- and Antibiotic-free Chicken Bone Broth every day, along with an Organic Mushroom Broth option for our vegan friends. Add-ins are free (have it your way!), and include Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric, Organic Scallions and more. As the cold weather creeps in, our Broth Bar will be the one place you want to be. See you there…
We’re thrilled to bring you the entire EO line of hair and skin care products. What started in Brad Black and Susan Griffin-Black’s garage back in 1995 has grown into a full array of products covering everything from bath, body and hands, to face, hair and baby, and their wildly popular, budget-friendly Everyone line. Everything EO does, including becoming the first personal care company to be certified non-GMO by the Non-GMO Verified Project in 2011, is driven by how Brad and Susan can most authentically impact the personal care industry.
What We Can’t Get Enough Of
We love the top-quality EO products for their gorgeous scents (all essential oil-based, they’re soothing but not overpowering). Plus they are really effective—the conditioner leaves hair super manageable, the hair gel is light (but holds!) and the moisturizing lotion gives us baby-soft skin all over.
**All EO and Everyone products are 20% off for Grateful Card members for the entire month of September**
Start the school season right, with personal care products you can feel grateful about!
Inspired by a customer who, along with her husband, collectively lost more than 20 pounds drinking Apple Cider Vinegar, several of us on staff have joined the ACV craze. We dove into the research around ACV and found the key to the vinegar’s success as weight loss tool: Acetic acid. It seems the acid blocks the absorption of starch, so any starches (read: carbs) you eat are not digested. Hence, the weight loss! An added ascetic acid bi-product: if the starches are not being digested, your blood sugar is not being spiked, which can help control appetite.
Wanna join us?
(Note: much of the research around ACV indicates that you need to be patient if you want to see improvements. This is not an overnight fix…but we would be skeptical of if it was, wouldn’t you?!)
To Shoot or Swig?
There are many ways to take your ACV, but those of us on staff are divided between these two:
- Take a 1oz shot of the stuff 30 minutes prior to each meal. (This can be hard on the gut for some; experiment and see what it does for you.)
- Mix anywhere between a tablespoon and an ounce of ACV with 6-8oz of water and sip it 30 minutes before each meal
If you give it a try, post on Rising Tide’s Facebook or Instagram and let us know how it goes. We can’t wait to hear what ACV does for you!
A mild, rainy winter has led to an extra tick-y season here in Long Island and other places around the country. Unfortunately, ticks bring with them the possibility of contracting conditions such as Lyme Disease (which can be treated if caught early) and Powassan virus, which currently has no treatment.
Our resident Wellness guru, Jen, has some important tips to help you stay tick-free this summer.
1. Wear lightly colored clothing to make ticks more visible.
2. Tuck pants into socks to minimize skin exposure.
3. Run a lint roller over your body and clothing before heading outdoors.
4. Take/eat garlic, Brewer’s yeast, and Vitamin B6 to make you less appealing to ticks.
5. Use DEET-free insect repellents. Otherwise known as N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, DEET has been shown in studies of rats to kill off the neurons in the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory and concentration when treated with a dose equivalent to that a person would use. Children could be at a greater risk here, as their skin absorbs the DEET more readily. Opt instead for essential oil-based repellents containing powerful oils such as lavender, lemongrass, rose geranium, eucalyptus and citronella.
Rising Tide’s TOP PICKS for Avoiding Ticks:
- Nantucket Spider:
Bug Repellant for People, 8 oz., $12.99
Summer Camp Repellant for Kids, 8 oz., $12.99
Extra Strength Bug Repellant for People, 8 oz., $12.99
Tick & Bug Repellant for Dogs, 8 oz., $12.99
Buzz Away Extreme, 4 oz., $9.99
- COMING SOON: Woodstock Herbals Hikers Guard Spray and Lotion
If you DO find a tick on yourself or someone else, follow these tips for removing it.
See what the Town of North Hempstead is doing to manage their tick situation (naturally!) this summer.
Now you need look no further than your favorite natural foods store for great prices on cases of premium bottled water.
Stock up this summer when it’s HOT and HUMID out there, and the need for really good hydration is a must. While all fluids count toward your total H2O intake (yes, even your morning cold-brew coffee), nothing beats good old fashioned water for keeping you looking and feeling your best on steamy summer days.
- Mountain Valley Water: 12 1 liter glass bottles, just $24.99
Naturally alkaline, unique blend of minerals, and a remarkably refreshing taste.
- Waiakea Water: 12 1 liter bottles, $19.99; 24 500ml bottles, $24.99
The first Hawaiian volcanic water…and a certified CarbonNeutral company with its eye on people and the planet.
Look for more great deals on cases of water, coming soon!
Hemp has long been a darling of the environmentally conscious consumer. What many people DON’T know is that hemp contains no significant amount of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and as such, it’s impossible to get high from it. Despite this reality (and hemp’s many redeeming features), hemp is still considered a Schedule 1 Narcotic under the Controlled Substances Act.
This year, the 8th annual Hemp History Week celebrates America’s rich history with industrial hemp BEFORE it was outlawed (the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp!), and educates consumers about the barriers to hemp farming in the United States.
More Facts About Hemp:
* Hemp seeds are an amazing source of sustainable protein (more protein than even chia or flax seeds…add to smoothies, or sprinkle on cereals, yogurt and salads), are anti-inflammatory, great for your skin (thank you, amino acids!), can balance hormones and even reduce pain. And hemp seed oil–the oil derived from pressed hemp seeds–contains the most heart-friendly essential fatty acids of any nut or seed oil.
* The cultivation of environmentally-friendly hemp yields more protein while requiring significantly less of each natural resource (land, water, fossil fuel) and producing fewer emissions than protein that comes from animal sources.
* Hemp crops pay. In Canada, hemp nets $200-$400 per acre, while just across the border, U.S. soy and corn typically net less than $160 an acre, according to the USDA.
* Millions of U.S. cars made by Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, and Tesla Motors are already being built with interior hemp-composite panels. If these companies could source U.S. grown hemp it would create long-term jobs in all sectors, strengthen regional economies, and maximize supply chain efficiencies. It’s a win-win-win!
At Rising Tide, we’re getting behind hemp all week by discounting hemp products from one of our favorite vendors: Nutiva. Check out the end cap all week and add some hemp into your life!
For more information about hemp and what you can do to help change Federal policy on hemp farming in the U.S., click here, and join Hemp History Week on Facebook.
May is all about the WOMEN. Women’s Health Week kicks off on May 14th, which is (not coincidentally!) also Mother’s Day. What a great time to show the moms in your life how much you care.
At Rising Tide, our whole mission is to nourish our community with the products we sell and the knowledge we share. Who better to nourish than the mamas in the community we love? Here are our Top Picks for Mother’s Day gifts this year, many of which we’ve put on sale just for the moms:
1. GIVE A PLANT. Fresh from L.I.’s North Fork, Marion Gardens organic plants are the perfect gift for anyone with a green thumb. (Get extra props for doing the actual planting with your mom…the gift of quality time!). We’ve got all kinds of herbs ($5.99-$7.99) and veggie/fruit plants ($3.99).
2. GIVE GOOD SOAK. We’ve got amaaaaaazing Himalayan Salt soaks (and a Coconut Salt Scrub) from Evolution Salt Co. (ON SALE $10.19-$12.79). Himalayan Salt is said to be the cleanest salt on the Earth, with the most health benefits (among them: promoting healthy pH balance in the cells, regulating sleep, preventing muscle cramps, and supporting respiratory health…all great stuff.) We’ve also got Evolution Salt Lamps (ON SALE $33.99), perfect for Mom’s bedroom or anyplace she could benefit from improved air quality (and a warm, orange glow!).
Equally delicious, EO Products makes an Epsom Soak (in lovely scents like Eucalyptus & Citrus, Geranium & Sweet Orange and Juniper & Cedarwood, all with the healing power of Epsom Salt to help mom relax and unwind. (ON SALE $10.59)
3. GIVE GOOD SCENTS. Diffusing essential oils will transform a mom’s very surroundings. The SpaRoom AromaMist aromatherapy diffusers (ON SALE $50.99) pair perfectly with and Body Care blends (Renew, Comfort, Freshen, Love Potion) by essential oil masters Aura Cacia (ON SALE $7.69-$9.39).
4. GIVE THE GIFT OF YOUTH. We all want to look as young as we feel, and to get there using the cleanest ingredients. The Age Defying Kit by Andalou Naturals–the first Non-GMO Project Verified beauty brand–is packed with super antioxidants to support skin wellbeing and give skin a softer, smoother appearance. Contains 5 skin essentials: Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk, Blossom + Leaf Toning Refresher, BioActive 8 Berry Fruit Enzyme Mask, Super Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream and Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair Cream. (ON SALE $16.99/kit)
5. GIVE A GIFT CARD. A Rising Tide gift card will gift your mom access to all the healthy foods, supplements, and clean personal care products she needs to look, feel and BE great. There’s no better gift for every mom in your life.
We’re excited we’ll soon be carrying the latest in eco-entertaining products from Preserve: compostable Cups and Straws. These single-use products—ideal for picnics, birthday parties and special occasions of all kinds—are made from plants and return to the soil when the party is over.
Preserve 12 oz cups come in packs of 8, and are suitable for hot and cold beverages, are non-toxic, manufactured in the U.S. from renewable resources (can be composted in a commercial composting facility). The Straws (come in packs of 50) are also made from plants, completely non-toxic and can actually be disposed of in a backyard composter—right next to all your veggie scraps and grass cuttings! Both Cups and Straws come in bright colors and stylish patterns and will be the eco-friendly star of any gathering.
The new star of our Meat department is the Certified Organic Beef from Bartels Farms. Raised on ranches in seven western states on a 100% organic diet, all Bartels beef is raised WITHOUT ANY:
- herbicides or pesticides
- artificial hormones or antibiotics
Plus, Bartels meats are processed in a facility using designs created by world-renowned expert on animal behavior, Temple Grandin. The result is tender, more flavorful meat.
Rising Tide’s new Bartels Farms organic meat offerings:
- Organic Domestic Grass-Fed NY Strip Steak $13.99/10oz.
- Organic Grass-Fed Tenderloin Filet Steak: $17.99/8oz.
- Organic Ground Beef: $8.99/lb.
Come check it out, and see what all the buzz is about!
With all those well-fed cows and sheep roaming the Irish countryside, it’s no surprise that tangy artisanal cheeses are a staple of the Irish diet. Kerrygold cheese is made in Ireland from grass-fed, pasture-raised cows, each one with proprietary Irish flavors—perfect for a St. Paddy’s Day cheese plate. Serve like they do in Ireland alongside some good chutney, toasted nuts, and a bit of fresh or dried fruit.
We’ve got the sharp, distinct flavor of Kerrygold Cheddar in our Dairy Case and will be sampling it this month. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay abreast of sample days….
This is serious business. We have found the creamiest, most delicious vegan yogurt alternative from Forager Project (the same guys who brought us those amazing organic veggie chips we were raving about this summer—and are STILL addicted to). We promise you do NOT have to be Vegan to enjoy this.
Available in 5 delicious flavors (plain, vanilla, lemon, strawberry and blueberry) with a mouth feel that is…well you have to try it to believe it. Organic, non-GMO and made from cashews, this “cashewgurt” , as they call it, is the BEST dairy-free yogurt alternative we’ve tasted (and we’ve tasted a LOT). Plus it’s got a whole bunch of probiotics, so you’re doing a good thing for your gut while you’re making the rest of you super happy.
Try it today, and let us know what you think…
Shopping for the ones you love is easy at Rising Tide Market. We’ve got a wide array of gifts that everyone can feel good about. Here are some of our top picks:
- Big Dipper Wax Works candles $2.99-$29.99
- John Masters Organic Soy Candles in Blood Orange & Vanilla w/ a warm, sultry, citrus scent, $23.95
- Aura Cacia Discovery Kit including the four most popular essential oils (Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Tea Tree) $24.99
- Aura Cacia Love Potion (oh yeah!), featuring Jasmine and Sandalwood, $10.99
- River Path Incense Gift Set from Shoyeido, $7.99
- Aromafier Classic essential oil diffuser ($13.95) and Signature Sensory 3-Pack—Savory Chai, Citrus Blossom and SpaRoom Blend ($24.95) by SpaRoom
Give Great Skin:
- Everyman Jack Beard Oil, Shave Cream and a Manual Chrome Razor ($ -$)
Sweets for Your Sweet:
At Rising Tide Market we love OATMEAL! So we are so excited to bring it to you all—hot, organic, and super tasty—every morning of the week. You won’t find a better, healthier breakfast for these chilly winter mornings.
Besides it’s obvious charms, oatmeal is itself a superfood, with tons of studies to back up its benefit as part of a whole foods diet. First, oats are loaded with all kinds of nutrition—vitamins, minerals and anti-inflammatory antioxidants—and are a great source of healthy carbs. Filled with soluble fiber (making you feel fuller, longer), your morning oatmeal can also reduce your levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut. If that is not enough (!), oats can also reduce blood sugar levels, lowering your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
WOW! We always liked the taste, but now we know oatmeal is the real deal.
Plus we make it extra specially delicious by providing a whole collection of organic superfood toppings:
- dried cranberries
- shredded coconut
- toasted walnuts
- coconut sugar
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- cacao nibs
Style your oatmeal as you like it, and enjoy. It’s here waiting for you.
Want a new bevy to ward off the winter blues? Gin Bao Long Brewed Teas bring the benefits of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to the Rising Tide drink case. For centuries, ginger bao (broth) has simmered in kettles across Asia, and served as the base for traditional herbal tonics and remedies. The Chinese drink ginger bao daily to aid digestion, increase vitality, and strengthen the immune system.
Mr. Mak’s Gin Bao was started by Mr. Mak to aid in his own health journey. When creating Gin Bao Teas, he sticks closely to the traditional recipe, using only simple, organic ingredients and a long brewing process. The result is a clean, refreshing drink with a powerful punch of ginger—the perfect way to kick your carbonated drink or too-much-coffee habit.
Here at Rising Tide Market, we’ve got it 3 ways, each with a base of Ginger to support circulation, digestion and immune function, and Ginseng puree, to boost immunity and increase natural killer cell function. This is a winter immunity duo if there ever was one!
Original Dynasty: Just the basics, with a hint of lemon.
Harmonizing Queen Bee: With added honey, for a subtle sweetness. In China, honey is said to restore chi (life force) and support digestion.
Energizing Dragonwell: Naturally caffeinated with green tea extract—great energy, no crash.
All Gin Bao drinks are gluten free, vegan and contain 70 calories/serving or less. Come in and see what the Chinese have been relying on these many millennia.
At Rising Tide, we’ve been juicing for as long as we can remember. Then Jerry and Ashley went to Denmark last fall and fell in love with a new kind of juicing—concentrated health shots, bursting with nutrition in a super compact package.
These shots tasted—and made them feel—GREAT (you’ve gotta love the Danes!) and plans to bring them to Rising Tide were under way. Our resident health mixologist (A.K.A. Brian) concocted three SuperShots power packed with Antioxidants, Anti-Inflammatories and Immunity Boosters like GINGER, TURMERIC, BEET, CAYENNE, ORANGE, LIME, APPLE and PEAR—each one delicious, 100% Organic, and a mighty addition to a wholesome, whole foods diet.
Choose from these pure SuperShots of vitality at Rising Tide Market:
- Sweet ‘n Hot SuperShot: beet, ginger, apple & lemon
- Hot A.F. (hot and fabulous) SuperShot: turmeric, ginger, orange juice, lemon juice and cayenne pepper
- Serenity Now! SuperShot: turmeric, pear, carrot & lime
Throw one back today. You’ll be happy you did! Now available in the Deli case. $3.99-$4.99/2oz shot.
Prepping, cooking, cleaning…stressing! It’s easy to get We can’t do much about the bugs we’re exposed to—but we can strengthen our immune systems to protect us against annoying offenders. When it comes to blasting bugs, naturally, we defer to our resident supplement guru, Steve Josepher. These are Steve’s immune-boosting Go-To’s for the winter months:
- Oscillococcinum (“Oscillo” for short) by Boiron is the best choice flu symptoms like body aches, headache, fever and chills. This homeopathic flu fighter has none of the side effects of Tamiflu (nausea, vomiting) and REALLY works. Steve recommends 6 full vials in a 2-day period, as soon as your symptoms start. Good for ages 2 and up.
- When it comes to the flu or any other nagging illness, Elderberry Syrup works like a charm. Elderberry is the queen of berries, shown to boost immunity, decrease mucous production during colds, and fight the flu. We like Black Elderberry Syrup by Gaia—gentle enough for kids but potent enough for adults. Or try Elderberry Force by New Chapter. These capsules sourced from an Austrian elderberry are made into a simple, pure, highly concentrated product.
- We get Vitamin C year round from fruits and veggies, but this time of year, you’ll want an extra slug of the stuff. Do you bring a water bottle to work? Do your kids bring one to school or after-school sports? Steve swears by Truly Natural Vitamin C Powder by Healthforce. Each 1.5 tsp dose added to water imparts just a hint of flavor, but packs a full 302 mg of food source, naturally occurring, absorbable, vitamin C complex made from acerola berries.
- You can’t underestimate the role Vitamin D plays in maintaining our immune system. Since we absorb our Vitamin D from the sun, our levels are dramatically lower in the cooler months, when most colds and flus hit. We’ve got all kinds of D products, for kids and adults. One of our favorites is from Bluebonnet Nutrition, and is available in drops, chewables and softgels. Click here for more on Vitamin D and how much we need for optimum health.
- Mushrooms are awesome! Of the 140,000 species of mushroom-forming fungi, about 100 are being studied for their health-promoting benefits. This is mainly due to their high concentration of beta-glucan, a powerful antiviral agent and immune system modulator. A mushroom devotee, Steve chooses Host Defense by MyCommunity, a 17-species formula that features some of the Top 10 health-stimulating mushrooms out there (maitake, reishi, cordyceps and more). Take two a day for killer immune support.
As always…if you have any questions about how to stay healthy this winter (or anytime!), just ask Steve or any of our other Supplement experts. There is always someone here to help!
Ask Steve, one of Rising Tide’s Supplement Buyers, how to minimize stress over the holidays and he’ll tell you to take two minutes to stop and BREATHE. Excellent advice, for sure, and we should all be doing a whole lot more of it. This is especially true when the pace of life picks up around the holiday season. Shopping, cleaning, cooking, parties, visiting with family–these can all amp up our stress quotient to the point where we’re fatigued, irritable and even physically ill with colds and other bugs.
In addition to remembering to breathe, there are a whole bunch of other tools to help you mitigate stress levels when things get loopy. Adaptogenic herbs should be way at the top of any stress-busting list. These botanicals (Rhodiola, Holy Basil and Ashwaganda, to name a few) improve the health of your adrenal system, the system that’s in charge of managing your body’s hormonal response to stress. They’re called adaptogens because of their unique ability to “adapt” their function according to your body’s specific needs, strengthening the body’s response to stress and enhance its ability to cope with anxiety and fight fatigue – slowly and gently. We’ve got adaptogens both in single herb varieties or as more broad-based adaptogenic formulas (our favorites are Gaia’s Adrenal Health and Stress Care by Himalaya).
Another great stress reducer is the amino acid L-theanine, a derivative of green tea (minus the caffeine). Known to increase the levels of dopamine and GABA in the brain (without any of the agitation caused by caffeine), l-theanine is safe to use for both kids and adults, and the feedback we get from customers is remarkable. Stuck on line at the mall? Pop an L-theanine with lemon balm by Life Extension and feel a wave of calm wash over you. Really!
L-theanine can also get your mind in the right place for sleep–something we can all use a bit more of if we want to keep stress at bay. One of our top-selling sleep formulas is Tranquil Sleep by Natural Factors. A combo of L-theanine and melatonin (the hormone that controls your sleep cycles), Tranquil Sleep will help you fall asleep quickly, sleep soundly through the night, and wake up feeling refreshed, without any of the potentially harmful side effects caused by pharmaceutical sleep aids.
Whenever you need a hit of peace, you can also look to Bach Flower Remedies. A safe and natural method of healing discovered by Dr. Bach in 1920s England, the flower remedies gently restore the balance between mind and body. Rescue Remedy, the most popular of the Flower Remedies, is actually a combo of five remedies, uniquely designed to help us get through stressful situations by helping us to relax, get focused and CALM DOWN!
As you can see, we are full of ideas to help you de-stress naturally this holiday season. A couple of other tips you can tackle on your own: spend some time outdoors (the sunlight is a mood elevator), say no to too many obligations (that cookie swap can happen without you this year) and don’t squeeze in more holiday than you can handle (less is more!). When you need a little crutch, your natural medicine chest will have everything you need to make this holiday season the most chill one ever.
One of our favorite brands for super healthy, wholesome and delicious snack foods and more is Sunfood. Their mission—to help you discover the healing, energy and longevity power within you—fits in nicely here at Rising Tide Market…and their nutrient dense, raw, organic, Non-GMO products taste PHENOMENAL, which makes us feel even better about supporting them in whatever way we can (their Jungle Peanuts once saved Jerry and Ashley from death by starvation on a long hike…but that’s a story for another time!)
This month, we’ve thrown our support behind Sunfood by bringing in a whole bunch of their raw & organic nuts, berries and nutrient-packed powders.
Some of the newest additions to our Sunfood inventory (all RAW & ORGANIC) include:
NUTS & BERRIES
- Goji Berries…potassium, iron, selenium, B vits—even protein. Side effects may include longevity, vitality, and energy!
- Berry Adventure…goji berries, golden berries and cashews—tart, sweet & creamy
- Heirloom Pumpkin Seeds…rich in magnesium and phosphorous, zinc and iron
- Heirloom Almonds…great for snacking or making homemade almond milk
- Jungle Peanuts… an heirloom peanut variety with the a pure, rich peanut flavor
- Cacao Butter…make your own chocolate!
SUPER POWDERS—for supercharging your smoothie and more!
- Maqui Berry… calcium and iron, plus vitamins A, C, B1 and B3 and a taste like blackberries
- Moringa…Vit A and calcium and a nutty flavor
- Camu Camu…packed with Vits C and B3 and Potassium
- Acai…a favorite with athletes, filled with Vits A and C and omega-3s
- Goji Berry…with Vits A & C and potassium, considered one of the most nutritionally-rich foods on the planet!
Look for Sunfood snack items near the Bulk section; the powders are near the protein powders. We love having them in our lives, and think you will too.