It’s time to boost immunity in whatever ways we can…school is back in session. Last month we recommended three supplements kids could take to boost immunity for the long year ahead. But staying healthy isn’t just for kids! Here are a few of the best ways for us to ward off contagious critters this cold and flu season and beyond. All three can be taken preventatively (silver is best taken at the first inkling of a chink in the immunity armor)…start now for protection you can count on.
- Sovereign Silver Colloidal Silver: Silver has been used for more than 2,000 years to help safeguard human health. A natural element that can be found in whole grains, edible and medicinal mushrooms, mammalian milk, spring water, sea water, and tap water, silver has been considered since ancient times to be an effective antimicrobial. The Sovereign Silver formula contains greater than 98% bio-active silver ions and silver nanoclusters, making it more powerful than other brands.Take 3 times a day for natural immunity support at the first sign of a cold or other virus or when you’re feeling particularly run down.
- Oregon’s Wild Harvest Astragalus: This mild, adaptogenic herb is perfect to take for long-term, deep immune support, and gentle enough for the elderly, kids…even your pets. In Chinese medicine, Astragalus is thought to protect against both mental and physical stresses. For best results, take regularly before cold and flu season hits. Orengon’s Wild Harvest is made right here in the U.S. from organic astragalus.
- Jarrow – Dophilus EPS Probiotics: Did you know some 80% of your immune system can be found in your gut? In the bid to stay healthy, it’s important to balance the good and bad bacteria in your body. Ongoing digestive and immune support can be found in these shelf-stable probiotics by Jarrow, featuring 8 different probiotic strains and 5 billion organisms per serving. Probiotics are safe to take every day, most effectively on an empty stomach; for an extra boost, you can also consume probiotic-rich foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kombucha.
The start of a new school year brings with it many exciting changes, Confinement indoors much of the day also brings with it the inevitable colds, flu and other viruses passed from one well meaning child to the next.
Children are exposed to millions of germs at school, resulting in 8-12 colds per year for children in day care or elementary school. It’s only a matter of time before these germs turn into a day off spent home sick in bed, and possibly spreading the illness to the rest of the family. Days off from school and work cost the US economy nearly $576 billion per year, according to Forbes.
There are ways to prepare for another school year and protect your kids from the germs they will encounter at school. Rather than reaching into the medicine cabinet to treat your child’s symptoms, here are a few ways to boost your child’s immune system and prevent illness.
1. Natural Factors Vitamin C Fruit Chews: Vitamin C is vital to the body’s maintenance of overall health. This easy-to-take chewable formula by Natural Factors—with 500mg of 100% Vitamin C in every chew, plus citrus bioflavonoids, rosehips and rutin for increased absorption—it’s one of our top-sellers. Available in 4 kid-friendly flavors: Blueberry, Raspberry and Boysenberry; Jungle Juice; Four Mixed Fruit Flavors, and Peach, Passionfruit and Mango. $13.99, 30 chewables
2. Probiotic Garden of Life: Like the rest of us, kids need probiotics to build a healthy microbiome and support digestive and immune health. We love the Dr. Formulated Chewable Probiotics from Garden of Life. Designed by David Perlmutter, M.D., an expert in the human microbiome, a board-certified neurologist, Fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and an expert in brain health, this USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified probiotic has no added sugar, contains vitamin C from the organic Amla berry (30mg), vitamin D (400IU), and prebiotic fiber to help maintain healthy immunity. Available in 3 delicious flavors including Berry Cherry, Strawberry Banana and Watermelon. Everyday low price $18.99, 90 chewables
3. Wiley’s Finest Fish Oil: Fish Oil delivers nutrients that support the development of young bodies, including healthy eyes, healthy brain function, and vital immunity. This liquid fish oil for kids is easy to mix into applesauce or mild enough to take right off the spoon. Begninner’s DHA (ages 1+) has 400 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per serving; Elementary DHA for school-age children (ages 4+) has 1000 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA per serving. Everyday low price $23.99, 4.23 fl oz
Moms-to-be have choices to make when it comes to treating various conditions—major and minor—that afflict them during those precious 40 weeks. According to Aviva Romm, well-known midwife, medical doctor, and herbalist, approximately 45% of women use some type of herbal remedy during their pregnancy. But even herbal remedies aren’t without their potential drawbacks; be sure to get your herbal 411 from a trusted source with an in-depth knowledge of herbs and pregnancy.
1. Stress relief/Sleep: Boiron Sedalia temporarily relieves nervousness, hypersensitivity, irritability and fatigue due to stress. Wishgarden Herbs Stress Relief contains a gentle combo of herbs to nourish and refresh your nervous system and help you put stress in perspective.
2. Morning sickness: Calm-a-Tum by Wishgarden Herbs is a tincture containing a carefully selected blend of traditional southwestern herbs (peach leaf, peppermint leaf and wild yam root) to relieve normal nausea associated with pregnancy. If you’d rather sip some tea, try soothing Traditional Medicinals Ginger with Chamomile whenever you’re feeling queasy. And if its your prenatal vitamins that are the culprits, Garden of Life Raw Prenatal is a capsule featuring a tummy-soothing combo of organic ginger root and probiotics.
3. Cold & Allergy: Wishgarden Herbs Kick-It Allergy is a unique combination of herbs designed to support healthy immune response, and to assist lymph, eyes, nose and throat naturally.
Bonus: Once the baby is born, many women look for ways to enhance the quality and volume of their breast milk to keep baby satiated and well-nourished. When It comes to post-partum milk production we recommend both Gaia Lactation Support and Wishgarden Herbs Milk Rich; both use age-old breastfeeding herbs including raspberry leaf, fennel seed, fenugreek seed and goat’s rue (Milk Rich only) to promote healthy and ample breast milk.
As more and more consumers explore natural ways to thrive, one ingredient has separated from the pack as a true “it” supplement: collagen. According to recent data, sales of collagen exploded in 2018, with more than $94 million in the U.S. supplements market and almost $7 million in the food and beverage market.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, our digestive system, and our tendons. As we age, collagen production in our body declines (think: wrinkles, joint pains and other pesky byproducts of getting older). Taking a collagen supplement has been shown to strengthen nails, hair and teeth, improve the health and appearance of skin, reduce joint pain, help heal leaky gut, boost metabolism, and more.
Ready to boost your body’s available supply of collagen? Incorporate gut-friendly Vital Proteins Collagen products into your daily routine.
*Vital Proteins Collagen products ON SALE thru May, $22.99-$34.99**
- Collagen Peptides: Toss into hot or cold liquids (coffee, or a smoothie) or use in baked goods.
- Collagen Creamer: Rich in energy-boosting MCTs, a type of healthy fat found in organic coconut milk. Whole 30-approved, these versatile creamers contain no artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, dairy, or gluten, and are great in teas, baked goods, and desserts.
- Beauty Collagen: Hyaluronic acid plus the essence of organic fruits helps bring the glow back to your skin while strengthening brittle hair and nails.
You may not have felt it yet…but it’s coming. Allergy season is nearly upon us, and according to the folks at Patch.com, it’s set to be a particularly intense one for New Yorkers. (Excess moisture has given the grass and trees lots of fuel to create the dreaded pollen…lucky us!)
Are you or someone you love a seasonal allergy sufferer? If you get hold of these natural allergy fighters now, you may be able to head the spring pollen peril off at the pass…naturally, with no groggy/foggy feeling or other side effects.
1. Oregon’s Wild Harvest’s Aller-Aid with Quercetin. For more manageable allergies in springtime, this verified non-GMO herbal formula contains freeze-dried nettle and quercetin to support the body’s normal histamine-producing response, and N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) to break down mucous and increase antioxidant activity.
2. Kick-Ass Allergy from Wishgarden. This potent blend of traditional Southwestern herbs (Yerba Santa leaf, Echinacea, Nettle, Orange Peel) supports a healthy respiratory system and helps bring allergy sufferers back into balance. We love the Wishgarden line, family-owned and women-run, making small-batch artisanal products with only the cleanest ingredients.
3. Y.S. Bee Pollen. High in protein, antioxidants and vitamins, bee pollen is one of nature’s perfect superfoods. Great for both seasonal allergies and energy, you can find the Y.S. Bee Pollen granules in our refrigerated case (with the probiotics).
BONUS: If you can do only one thing to prevent allergies, Rebekah from the RT Wellness Department recommends getting a daily dose pf nettles tea; Traditional Medicinals makes one she really likes. In addition to curtailing seasonal allergies, nettles have been used for thousands of years to support joint health and promote whole body wellness. Happy Spring!
Note: As always, we recommend consulting with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement program.
March 8th is International Women’s Day, and we’re honoring the women in our lives by introducing them to WomenSense by Natural Factors: a complete line of natural, non-GMO products carefully formulated to target the specific needs of women as they journey through life.
1. In your 20s-30s: EstroSense is our choice for promoting regular monthly cycles. It also assists with painful periods, PMS, and non-cystic acne. We love that this formula includes turmeric for inflammation and milk thistle, DIM, and Calcium D-Glucarate for detoxing harmful environmental hormones.
2. In your 40s-50s: The intensity of work and family life can lead to fatigue, trouble sleeping, and increased cortisol levels. AdrenaSense helps reenergize your body, supports healthy cortisol levels and adrenal function, and promotes uninterrupted sleep. Featuring adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha, shisandra, rhodiola and eleuthero, it’s also our pick for recovery from physical and mental stress.
3. In your 50s-60s: MenoSense supports women through menopause with the help of known herbal hormone regulators such as dong quai, chasteberry, black cohosh and more. It’s one of our top choices for reducing some of the most common symptoms of menopause: night sweats, hot flashes, irritability, and nervousness.
Additional products we recommend to help balance women’s hormones include Vitex (or Chaste Tree Berry) by Gaia, safe for teens and others with more sensitive systems. Women’s Balance, also by Gaia, is an effective all-around hormone balancing product, ideal for symptoms of both PMS and menopause, and frequently recommended for both bloating and women who are experiencing moodiness and/or sadness.
In honor of Heart Month, we’ve compiled a quick primer on some of the healthiest ways to regulate your body’s cholesterol levels.
1. Ubiquinol. If you’re on a statin (like 25% of American adults) you must take ubiquinol—the form of CoQ10 your body uses for energy production—to add back the CoQ10 the statins have depleted. If you don’ take a statin, you’re also in luck: there is evidence to show that ubiquinol can raise levels of good, HDL cholesterol and lower some of the biomarkers that are risk factors for heart disease. We like Ubiquinol by Bluebonnet. Available at Rising Tide Every Day Low Prices.
2. Wiley’s Finest Omega 3 with Plant Sterols. For those with a sensitivity to statins, or who have tried without success to use red yeast rice to control cholesterol, we’ve got the thing for you. Wiley’s Finest Omega 3 with Plant Sterols is a fantastic choice for promoting healthy cholesterol levels. Unlike other plant sterol products on the market made with corn and/or soy, Wiley’s are made from non-GMO North American pine tree sterols. All Wiley’s products are third-party tested from the boat to the shelf, and Wiley’s standards and methodology are beyond reproach. Fished in Alaska and manufactured in Ohio, Wiley’s Finest products are American through and through.
This and all Wiley’s Finest products are available at Rising Tide Every Day Low Prices.
3. Citrus Bergamot. There are some remarkable studies confirming the efficacy of this cholesterol product. It’s all about the flavanols! Bergamot can be used in conjunction with the Wiley’s Omega 3 with Plant Sterols, or as a complement to statins. Research has also credited bergamot with raising good cholesterol, removing fatty deposits in the liver, and lowering blood sugar levels.
We like Citrus Bergamot by Jarrow Formulas, on sale this month at Rising Tide.
This time of year there’s always a lot of talk about changing our diets for the better (healthier, cleaner, etc.) In particular, for both health and environmental reasons, more and more Americans are making the move toward a plant-based diet. There are some simple ways to make the change gradual: start by making one meal a day plant-based; try one new ingredient each week; or tweak one of your favorite meals to be vegan.
If you do end up eliminating animal products, remember: the more restrictive your diet is, the more challenging it can be to get all the nutrients your body needs to function optimally. Choose a nutrition-packed plant-based protein powder for your morning smoothie (one of our favorites is Sun Warrior), pad meals with lots of nuts, seeds and legumes, and consider these three supplements to ensure a smooth transition to plant-based living:
1. Algae plant-based Omega 3 by Iwi: Fish eat krill; krill eat algae. Vegans/vegetarians can skip the middleman(fish) and go straight to this source of vital omegas 3s (known to reduce risk of heart-related conditions and some cancers, to improve brain function and bone health, improve inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and much, much more). We like the Iwi product because it’s 100% vegan, non-GMO and grown sustainably on farms in the Southwestern U.S. using brackish water and solar power.
2. Iron and herb supplement Floradix: Iron is essential for hemoglobin formation and the effective circulation of oxygen throughout the body. Inadequate levels of iron in the blood can lead to exhaustion and irritability. Since your body absorbs heme iron (from meat, poultry, and fish) 2-3 three times more efficiently than non-heme iron from plants, vegetarian/vegans are at an increased risk of developing an iron deficiency. But don’t worry! Dark leafy greens, whole grains, and legumes are all rich in iron; pair them with vitamin-C-rich foods (bell peppers, berries, broccoli, etc.) to boost absorption. Or supplement with this iron and herbal supplement from Floravital. Vegetarian Floradix Herbal Iron Extracts have a rate of iron absorption at 25% (compared to the average absorption rate of iron tablets at 2-10%). It includes Vitamin C to help with absorption, and it’s not constipating, like most iron supplements.
3. Methyl B12 by Jarrow Formulas: Vitamin B12 is necessary to help red blood cells function effectively. The food sources with the highest B12 content are from animals: eggs, cheese, beef, lamb, and shellfish, to name a few. Youcanget B12 from sea vegetables like arame, kombu, nori and wakame, but these foods are not a regular part of most Western diets. Instead, vegetarians and vegans can augment their diets with a high-quality B12 supplement. Methylcobalamin (methyl b12) from Jarrow Formulas is more bioavailable than other forms of B12. One chewable lozenge a day can help maintain brain health, vitality, restful sleep, and a better mood. Available in tropical and cherry flavors.
Try as we may to exercise self-control, Thanksgiving can be a day of excess for many. It’s hard to resist when we see some of our favorite foods only once a year! Do the best you can (don’t arrive starving, focus on healthy veggie dishes, take a walk before dessert), and arm yourself with some helpful digestive supplements that will keep you from having TOO many regrets.
1. 30 minutes before the meal. Let a great probiotic be your digestive insurance policy this Thanksgiving. We like Natren’s Healthy Trinity probiotic, with a minimum of 30 billion colony forming units (cfu) of three potent, super strains of beneficial bacteria in each capsule.
2. Right before the meal. When our tastebuds detect bitter, it’s a wake-up call for the digestive process. Take Herba Pharm’s Better Bitters 10 minutes before the big meal and let the body’s natural bitter response do the rest. Available in Classic, with the clean, pure taste of gentian; and Orange, featuring orange peel and ginger extract.
2. Right before the meal. A full-spectrum digestive enzyme will help to break down each of the foods you enjoyed for your holiday meal (carbs, fat, fiber and protein). Digest Gold Digestive Enzymes is a top-selling enzyme blend that helps the body absorb nutrients and convert food into energy. It will help you avoid digestive discomforts like gas, bloating and indigestion. (It’s okay to take your enzymes at the same time as your digestive bitters.)
It’s that time again. October is the official onset of cold and flu season, with all the runny noses, coughs, fevers and sick days the name implies. Don’t stress (stress lowers immunity, and you know where THAT will get you!)….we’ve got 3 essential items for your natural medicine cabinet (plus a fourth, bonus item) that should keep the fall/winter bugs at bay, or at least the most virulent ones.
1. The magic of mushrooms. The combo of 17 potent mushrooms in Host Defense’s MyCommunity can give your immune system a nice, natural boost. Phytochemicals such as beta-glucan found in these fantastic fungi have been shown to enhance the activity of several different types of immune cells.
2. Vitamin C: Don’t leave home without it. Truly Natural Vitamin C from HealthForce is a 100% food-based vitamin C complex made from the acerola cherry, and contains all the bioflavonoids, vitamins and minerals that are the cofactors for optimum vitamin C activity. Plus, it comes in powder form, making it easy to mix into a smoothie or in the water bottle you take to school, work, or to work out.
3. Vitamin D: The Power of sunshine. A recent study out of London indicated that supplementing with vitamin D can reduce the risk of respiratory infections—especially cold and flu—by about 10 percent. Take in capsules, drops, gummies…whatever form you’re most comfortable with to boost the amount of vitamin D in your bloodstream this time of year. How much should you take? Steve recommends 1,000 IU’s daily for kids under 11 and 2,000 IU’s for kids over 11 and adults. Bluebonnet makes a great chewable kids product, along with the soft gels for pill-swallowing pre-teens/teens and adults.
**BONUS**: The number one tool in your winter immunity arsenal might just be found in a cute little berry with extraordinary strength. Elderberries possess natural antiviral and antimicrobial properties that have been shown to shorten duration of cold and flu; in fact, they have been compared to drugs like Tamiflu for the treatment of flu (with none of the harsh side effects). We like the Gaia brand Elderberry, available in syrup or capsules.
Maybe you overdid it a little this summer…we can relate! BBQs, ice cream, alcohol…no one can blame you (us!) for enjoying all the best things the season has to offer. Now it’s time for a fresh start. Jen, our resident Wellness guru, kickstarted a summer detox on Sept. 1, with the goal of counteracting some of the damage she did this season. We’re presenting her protocol here, with the hopes that some of you will join her! Either way, we’ll touch base with her at the end of the month to see how the cleanse worked for her, and quantify what kinds of changes she’s experienced as a result.
Note: Jen chose these products because they’re all safe, known to be effective, and appropriate for most people. However, if you’re interested in embarking on a cleanse, but have questions about the particular products we’ve included here, feel free to check in with Jen…she’ll be happy to customize a cleanse for your unique needs.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Capsules from Enzymedica: Apple Cider Vinegar has been revered for centuries (Hippocrates prescribed it to his patients) and is now widely heralded for its effects on digestion, weight loss, promoting healthy blood sugar levels, and more. These capsules are great for those who don’t like the astringent taste of liquid ACV, or worry about the impact of liquid ACV on tooth enamel. Take two with each meal; each serving is equivalent to 1 tsp of liquid ACV.
2. Bluebonnet Liver Detox:This unique combo of amino acids (NAC and L-Glutathione) and wildcrafted herbal extracts (ginger root, turmeric root, dandelion root, etc.) will give your liver the break it so badly needs. Support detoxification while getting a healthy antioxidant boost.
3. Barleans Intestinal Repair: Part anti-bacterial/anti-fungal, part prebiotic and part healer of intestinal linings, this 3-in-1 formula is gentle yet powerful, and an important tool for any detox. Comes in Berry Flavor and mixes easily into water, juices, or smoothies.
* Bonus item! Moringa Oleifera powder from Kuli Kuli: This green superfood will add a nutritious boost to everything from smoothies to soups. Jen throws it right in her morning greens “kitchen sink” smoothie, which includes spinach kale, berries and any other high-antioxidant fruits and veggies she has on hand.
In addition to the above products, Jen plans to make some important lifestyle changes in September to facilitate her cleanse.
* Start her day with a glass of lemon water and a greens drink, and drink more water overall.
* Cut out all refined sugars.
* Create a 6-hour eating window to give her digestive system time to heal.
If you’re detoxing this month…good luck! Check in with Jen and let her know how it’s going.
June is Men’s Health Month — time for men you know and love to assess their health routines and see where positive changes can be made. Where to start? Choose supplements specifically geared toward health issues that only men will face. Our resident Wellness Guru, Jen, offers up her top picks for all those amazing men who want to live in optimal health.
- New Chapter’s Every Man’s One Daily. It all starts with a great multi. Every Man One’s Daily is a whole food based multivitamin, featuring fermented vitamins and minerals that are easily digestible and easily assimilated by the body. Jen likes the addition of Elderberry (plus Eleuthero and Astragalus) for enhanced immune function.
- Life Extension’s Ultra Prostate Formula. Whatever the state of your prostate, this is one to add to your daily routine. This product does it all: promotes healthy prostate function, supports normal urine flow, inhibits excess estrogen, and supports a healthy inflammation response, all while helping maintain healthy PSA levels.
- Nature’s Plus Organic Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder. If your man’s boosting his smoothie with product that isn’t serving him, it might be time for a new protein powder. The Nature’s Plus Pumpkin Seed powder is packed with 15g of protein per serving and the great-tasting pumpkin seeds (and beneficial fatty acids) shown to promote prostate health.
With so much talk these days about opioid addiction and the side effects of many popular over-the-counter pain relievers, it’s more important than ever to have a safe, effective, natural pain squasher when you really need it.
Curamin Extra Strength—on sale at Rising Tide all month—combines natural pain-reliever Curcumin (the bioactive ingredient in turmeric) with anti-inflammatory Boswellia, mood lifter DLPA and the enzyme Nattokinese (helps ingredients move through the bloodstream so they get where they need to be!) for a potent nutrient combo that helps alleviate pain, with none of the negative side-effects of aspirin and other conventional pain relievers.
Highlights of Curamin Extra Strength:
* Shortens recovery time
* Helps you stay in the game, doing the things you love
* Fights inflammation throughout the body
Curamin Extra Strength is rarely on sale, so take advantage of this great June deal.
30 count, reg. $24.99: ON SALE: $19.99
60 count, reg. $59.99, ON SALE: $35.99
120 count, reg: $83.99, ON SALE: $66.99
This month and next, middle- and high-schoolers could be faced with higher-stakes exams that can lead to increased anxiety. Stress can hit while studying, or when sitting for the actual exams. Before test tension hits hair-pulling levels, try some natural de-stressors to help calm and center your student. Try them one at a time to see which one works best for your child.
- Stress Relax Pharma Gaba by Natural Factors. This natural source of the brain compound GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) can be both physically calming and help with mental focus. Teens and tweens (10 and up) can take two of these chewables as needed (up to 2x/day), either preventatively before a big test or as a grounding agent while studying.
- Rescue Remedy by Bach Flower. This famous blend of five different Bach Flower remedies is gentle and side-effect free, and can be used with kids of all ages. Take during times of acute stress as needed for balance and clarity.
- Homeopathic Stress Relief by Siddha Flower Essences. Add this liquid tension-reducer to your child’s water or juice; sipping throughout the day may help quell temporary anxiety while helping boost concentration. Stress Relief works progressively and cumulatively, so give to your children regularly for best results.
The new year is a great time to reassess different aspects of our lives, including our fitness and nutrition regimen. What’s serving us? What could be tweaked to help us meet our workout and weight-loss goals? All-important protein—a metabolism booster and muscle builder—is a great place to begin that review.
Garden of Life protein powders and bars are ON SALE for the entire month of January. Try out a few and see which best meet your needs. Garden of Life is an innovator in organic, non-GMO whole foods products, and a company we have always relied on for traceable, science-backed formulas that are as clean as anything on the market.
- Organic Fit High-Protein Weight Loss Bars (Green coffee bean extract to burn fat; Ashwagandha to fight cravings)
- SPORT Performance Protein Bars (20g of organic pea and rice protein)
Raw Organic Meal (Shake & meal replacement)
Raw Protein and Greens (Combo protein & greens)
Raw Organic Fit (Fat burning/weight loss)
Organic Whey Protein (Creamy grass-fed whey protein)
Organic Plant Protein (Grain free)
Check out what Garden of Life
is up to and decide what’s right for you. If you have questions about any of the GOL products we carry, feel free to ask Jen or any of our staff in the Rising Tide Wellness department.
As the cold weather creeps in, retreating inside is inevitable. Also inevitable: more time spent in indoor air makes us more susceptible to whatever bugs might be lurking.
This year, take proactive steps to keep all miserable critters at bay. RT’s resident wellness guru, Jen Musgrove, offers her Top 3 Picks for staying cold and flu free this winter.
Elderberry: As far back as 460 BC, Hippocrates referred to elderberry as his “medicine chest,” owing to the great many health benefits conferred by the brightly colored herb. One of the oldest medicines on the planet, this natural antiviral and antimicrobial has been shown to shorten duration of cold and flu; in fact, it’s comparable to drugs like Tamiflu for the treatment of flu (with none of the harsh side effects). TRAVEL TIP: If you’re planning to take an airplane this winter, it’s been proven that supplementation with elderberry before, during, and after air travel has beneficial effects on travelers’ health—particularly respiratory health.
Jen likes the Gaia Black Elderberry Syrup for adults and kids. Use as directed.
Andrographis: Used as a cold remedy since ancient times in both India and China, the powerful andrographis herb is a great tool for squashing colds before they get you. (Unlike elderberry, andrographis is not known to be helpful once you’re in the acute phase of a cold, but does its best work as an immunity-boosting preventative.) Get your andrograghis fix with Kold Kare by Kare N Herbs. Use as directed. (Note: Kold Kare is safe to use with kids; Jen suggests one tablet a day.)
Astragalus: A Chinese herb used medicinally for thousands of years, the Astragalus root’s main claim to fame is its ability to regulate the body’s immune response. Specifically, astragalus boosts white blood cell activity to guard against seasonal colds, viruses and respiratory infections. Classified as an adaptogen, it also protects against mental, physical and emotional stress. (Bonus!) Jen recommends taking Oregon’s Wild Harvest Biodynamic tincture, and for children, Herbs for Kids Astragalus.
With New Year’s Eve parties (and all of 2017!) behind you, it’s time to take your first healthy steps into 2018.
Spend the first day of the new year with your friends at your favorite natural food grocer. The Rising Tide New Year’s Day bash is the place to spend Jan. 1, 2018:
- SHOP for healthy, organic, GMO-free groceries, supplements and produce…20% off the entire store!*
- Enter to WIN dozens of awesome raffles from many of our best-selling vendors…a raffle is awarded every hour!
- SAMPLE our health-boosting RT Bone Broth, along with loads of other tasty items.
- CHILL to the laid-back musical stylings of our very own Josh and Steve.
- TOAST your friends and neighbors—with FREE Rising Tide greens drinks!—for a beautiful, healthy, prosperous, and peaceful year to come.
- GRAND PRIZE...everyone who shops on Jan. 1 is entered to win a brand new Apple Watch! We look forward to seeing you there!
* Customers will receive 20% off everything in the store EXCEPT Every Day Low Prices.
Plans, parties, shopping, cooking (not to mention the occasional night of overeating/drinking, later bedtimes, etc.)—this time of year everyone is go, go, go. Sometimes this perpetual activity can lead to trouble sleeping when you finally stop at the end of the day.
Our resident Wellness guru, Jen, has three great products that she consistently recommends to those who suffer from intermittent insomnia—at the holidays or anytime.
- If you like tea… try Gaia Sleep & Relax Tea. As part of a relaxing nighttime routine, sip a cup an hour before bedtime. Let the chamomile, lemon balm and passionflower do their thing, relieving tension and quieting the “Monkey Mind” that can prohibit restful sleep.
- Not a tea person… Try Sleep Better by Oregon’s Wild Harvest. A nutritional supplement featuring organic valerian root, organic ashwagandha root, organic passionflower tops, and organic hops, Sleep Better has helped many a troubled sleeper when nothing else would.
- If you had a crummy night and need a boost to make it through the day… try Four Sigmatic Stay Awake Mushroom Coffee Mix. Coffee plus Mushrooms, add it to your morning brew and it’ll feel like you’ve had a Red Eye—all energy, no jitters. You’ll also get the benefit of amazing functional mushrooms like cordyceps (for energy) and chaga (to boost immunity).
Here are some great tips for changing behaviors that can inhibit your ability to get a solid night of zzzz’s.
Rest easy this holiday season!
Breakouts are a part of life! In Jen’s Top 3 for October, the Rising Tide Wellness guru dishes on her go-to skin solutions for teens and adults.
Mother Dirt: Just brought these amazing new products in and have already had incredible feedback from staff and customers. Based on the idea of nurturing and restoring the skin biome (healthy bacteria = healthy skin), these products are perfect for anyone looking to lose the chemicals in their skincare routine while also enjoying awesome results. Try the Face & Body Cleanser, the Moisturizer and don’t miss the AO + Mist—a probiotic spray that’s magic at reducing oiliness, blotchiness, bumpiness, and dryness. Spray on in the morning and again at night.
Burdock Root: Burdock root is one of the most well-known detoxifying herbs, used in both Western and Chinese herbal medicine. Often recommended as a blood purifier, burdock eliminates the toxins that can cause chronic skin conditions (acne!). Jen recommends Burdock capsules from Oregon’s Wild Harvest. Take three at bedtime.
Evening Primrose Oil: The key ingredient in evening primrose oil is gamma-linolenic acid (GLA)—an omega-6 essential fatty acid that helps strengthen the skin barrier, reduce moisture loss, and reduce the inflammation and redness associated with acne. Our bodies can’t make GLA, but we can get it from other sources, including evening primrose oil. Jen recommends Rising Tide’s own brand of Evening Primrose. For best results, try 1,300mg daily for adults; 650mg for teens.
As always, feel free to talk with Jen about any of your concerns around acne or other skin care issues. And if you try her Top 3, let us know what works for you!
Welcome to the first edition of our new website series: Jen’s Top 3. We’ll check in once a month with Jen, Rising Tide’s resident Wellness guru, to find out what you need to be taking or doing RIGHT NOW to heal any aspect of your health.
Hard to believe it when you step outside, but cold and flu season is just about here. We asked our resident Wellness guru, Jen, about how best to protect ourselves from the most potent of the season’s bugs.
- Host Defense Comprehensive Immune: Mushrooms may look kooky, but they are actually some of the most powerful natural medicines on the planet. Host Defense’s blend of 17 potent mushroom species encourages resistance to cellular invaders (yuck!) and helps balance the immune system.
- MegaFood Vitamin D3 2,000 IU: Sufficient Vitamin D can reduce your risk of infectious disease by strengthening your innate immune system, allowing you to quickly and effectively fight off invaders before a full-blown infection develops. Jen likes Mega Food’s Vitamin D3; take one 2,000 IU capsule daily; take two or three if you’re under the weather.
- Garden of Life Once Daily Ultra Probiotic: Since 80 % of your immune system is located in your gut, it makes sense that probiotics (“good” bacteria that keep your gut healthy) would help ward off cold and flu viruses. Eat naturally fermented foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, miso, kefir) or take a high-quality probiotic supplement like this one from Garden of Life: 15 diverse strains and 90 billion CFUs of cold-and-flu-fighting probiotics are packed into a once-a-day capsule.
We’re so proud to introduce our line of Rising Tide branded supplements. Made with only clean ingredients, and meeting the highest standards in the industry, these supplements—some 120 to date—represent 41 years of Rising Tide’s commitment to providing the best possible products for our customers.
Why, you ask, did we get into the supplement business? As you may know, the supplement industry has been going through some changes. One-time innovators like Solgar, Country Life, Twin Labs and others have sold out to larger, publicly held companies, drastically diminishing their standards. Since we have reduced our stock of these products, we sought to fill the gap using a transparent company that lets us bring you third-party tested, researched and affordable supplements we can be proud to label with the Rising Tide name.
We’re offering a full line of supplements, something to meet every one of your health needs:
- Protein powders
- and More!
**ALL RISING TIDE BRANDED SUPPLEMENTS ARE 20% off ALL THE TIME for our Grateful Card members!**
Come check them out today…and please let us know what you think!
Please help us welcome Jennifer Musgrove to the Rising Tide staff! A Nutritional Consultant and Supplement Buyer for over 15 years, Jennifer is extremely knowledgeable about holistic wellness, and passionate about sharing what she knows with our customers.
Jennifer is also a certified Holistic Health Counselor, a licensed Massage Therapist for 17 years, a certified Labor Doula, and the proud mom of an awesome 12-year old girl.
Welcome her aboard…we’re so happy to have her!
February is all about HEARTS: the ones that say “I love you,” and the ones that let us live a life we love. In honor of American Heart Month, our focus is on what we can all do to reduce our risk of developing heart disease, still the No. 1 killer of both men and women in the United States.
That’s the bad news. The good (we think GREAT) news is that research increasingly shows that with the exception of a small genetic component, heart disease can largely be prevented by changes to your LIFESTYLE…and these are changes you can easily implement. One step at a time…
Here are 5 heart-friendly lifestyle fixes to choose from in 2017, adapted from a blog post by Dr. Mark Hyman, one of our favorite functional medicine doctors. For the complete post, click here.
1. Eat a Healthy, Whole Foods Diet. Aim for 8-10 servings of colorful fruits and veggies each day.
2. Steady Your Blood Sugar. Stabilize blood sugar by eating protein, healthy fats and healthy carbohydrates at every meal. Avoid processed sugars.
3. Increase Your Fiber Intake. Work your way up to 50g of fiber (veggies, nuts, seeds, and low-sugar fruits like berries) per day.
4. Avoid processed, junk foods. That includes sodas, juices and diet drinks.
5. Get Out and Move! Research shows 30-45 minutes of cardiovascular exercise at least five times/week can benefit your heart.
To go along with these lifestyle hacks, there are also a few supplements that are naturally good for your most vital organ. One of our favorites at Rising Tide is Ubiquinol (the reduced form of CoQ10, and the form your body naturally uses). Studies show that supplementing with CoQ10/Ubiquinol plays a critical role in the creation of cellular energy needed by important organs like the heart and brain. It’s also super important if you’re taking statins, which are known to lower natural levels of ubiquinol in the body and heart. We love the ubiquinol products by Bluebonnet, now in smaller vegetarian softgels for easier swallowing.
Another great heart-healthy supplement is the mighty Pomegranate, shown to prevent—and in some cases reverse—cardiovascular disease. A growing body of evidence suggests that the compounds in pomegranate known as punicalagins are cardioprotective due to their powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. We like Pomegranate Complete by LifeExtension, which includes aspects of the whole pomegranate plant—even the seeds and the flowers! Just one softgel provides equivalent antioxidant content of approximately 24-30 pomegranates!
Make 2017 the year you get serious about your heart. We promise, any changes you make to help your heart will be beneficial for the rest of your parts, too!
Your body contains about 100 trillion bacteria – more than 10 times the number of cells in your entire body. The type and quantity of microorganisms in your gut—widely considered to be our body’s “second brain”— interact with your body in ways that can either prevent or encourage the development of all kinds of conditions (and can affect your mood, skin, immune system, digestion, etc.). Studies also show a direct correlation between probiotic intake and weight loss, possibly due to the effect probiotics have on hormones and proteins related to appetite and fat storage.
The ideal ratio between the bacteria in your gut is 85 percent “good” and 15 percent “bad.” Maintaining this optimal ratio is essential…but not always easy. Lifestyle and environmental factors like stress, pollution, processed foods and more can throw gut flora out of whack. Fermented foods (krauts, yogurt, kimchi, kefir, kombucha, etc.) can help to right some of those gut disparities.
If you find you’re not getting enough of these foods, opt for a probiotic supplement (best taken just before, during or after a meal). Make sure your supplement has a minimum of 3-50 billion CFUs (Colony Forming Units), and that it targets your specific health concerns.
Here’s some more to consider when choosing an effective probiotic supplement, according to natural health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola:
- Make sure it’s a reputable brand that you can trust
- Make sure the package is resealable. Is it being stored as directed on the product label?
- Ensure that it does not contain any bioengineered ingredients (GMOs)
- Confirm that the product is manufactured according to current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- How many different strains of bacteria does it contain? Look for a product with multiple strains to work throughout your gastrointestinal tract
- Look for valuable strains, including species of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria. Some of the more important strains include:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus plantarum that reside in the small intestine or the upper GI tract among your immune cells.
- Bifidobacterium lactis, Bifidobacterium longum, and Bifidobacterium bifidum that reside in the large intestine or the lower bowel, which are also critical areas for health.
One brand we love here at Rising Tide is Garden of Life; all of our Garden of Life Probiotics –including the Dr. Formulated products, customized by brain health expert and best-selling author of Grain Brain, Dr. David Perlmutter–will be on sale for 20% off the original price during the entire month of January.
Make 2017 The Year of the Gut!
Prepping, cooking, cleaning…stressing! It’s easy to get We can’t do much about the bugs we’re exposed to—but we can strengthen our immune systems to protect us against annoying offenders. When it comes to blasting bugs, naturally, we defer to our resident supplement guru, Steve Josepher. These are Steve’s immune-boosting Go-To’s for the winter months:
- Oscillococcinum (“Oscillo” for short) by Boiron is the best choice flu symptoms like body aches, headache, fever and chills. This homeopathic flu fighter has none of the side effects of Tamiflu (nausea, vomiting) and REALLY works. Steve recommends 6 full vials in a 2-day period, as soon as your symptoms start. Good for ages 2 and up.
- When it comes to the flu or any other nagging illness, Elderberry Syrup works like a charm. Elderberry is the queen of berries, shown to boost immunity, decrease mucous production during colds, and fight the flu. We like Black Elderberry Syrup by Gaia—gentle enough for kids but potent enough for adults. Or try Elderberry Force by New Chapter. These capsules sourced from an Austrian elderberry are made into a simple, pure, highly concentrated product.
- We get Vitamin C year round from fruits and veggies, but this time of year, you’ll want an extra slug of the stuff. Do you bring a water bottle to work? Do your kids bring one to school or after-school sports? Steve swears by Truly Natural Vitamin C Powder by Healthforce. Each 1.5 tsp dose added to water imparts just a hint of flavor, but packs a full 302 mg of food source, naturally occurring, absorbable, vitamin C complex made from acerola berries.
- You can’t underestimate the role Vitamin D plays in maintaining our immune system. Since we absorb our Vitamin D from the sun, our levels are dramatically lower in the cooler months, when most colds and flus hit. We’ve got all kinds of D products, for kids and adults. One of our favorites is from Bluebonnet Nutrition, and is available in drops, chewables and softgels. Click here for more on Vitamin D and how much we need for optimum health.
- Mushrooms are awesome! Of the 140,000 species of mushroom-forming fungi, about 100 are being studied for their health-promoting benefits. This is mainly due to their high concentration of beta-glucan, a powerful antiviral agent and immune system modulator. A mushroom devotee, Steve chooses Host Defense by MyCommunity, a 17-species formula that features some of the Top 10 health-stimulating mushrooms out there (maitake, reishi, cordyceps and more). Take two a day for killer immune support.
As always…if you have any questions about how to stay healthy this winter (or anytime!), just ask Steve or any of our other Supplement experts. There is always someone here to help!
Prepping, cooking, cleaning…stressing! It’s easy to get caught up in a Thanksgiving whirlwind that can leave you overwhelmed and run down. Add a huge meal into the mix and you can find yourself with digestive distress and reduced immunity that can really lay you out.
We get it (we’ve been there!), and we’ve got a plan to help you cope better over this Thanksgiving holiday.
Tackle Immune Support
Along with the magic of the holidays comes a healthy dose of added stress. Adequate sleep, a daily meditation or yoga practice, a healthy diet, and a little bit of “me” time can all go a long way toward helping you keep it together this time of year.
A daily probiotic can also mitigate the effects that holiday stress can have on your health, giving you the extra oomph to fight off seasonal colds and flus. We can’t say enough about Healthy Trinity Probiotics by Natren (and are offering them for 20% off—we’re looking for converts!). Take one or more daily, and eat probiotic rich foods (experts recommend 1-2 tablespoons of raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut with every meal. We love the Hawthorne Valley kraut, available in Original and Turmeric flavors).
Digestion: Before, During and After a Big Meal
Let’s be honest, eating delicious home-cooked foods is a huge part of the Thanksgiving holiday. Just take it easy. Keeping your eating in check on Thanksgiving is the only foolproof way to feel great at the meal’s end.
Want a little insurance? Take some digestive bitters before your meal. We like Chamomile Digestive Bitters by Urban Moonshine. Available both in travel-friendly spray and tinctures, Chamomile Digestive Bitters are crafted from exceptional blends of certified organic herbs and roots, and have a nice soothing taste. Take before your meal to optimize digestion, or afterwards to relieve heartburn, or soothe gas and bloating.
Another way to optimize digestion of a big meal is to take digestive enzymes with the meal itself. Enzyme deficiencies can result from factors including age, diet and lifestyle, and can lead to a bunch of uncomfortable symptoms including gas, bloating, indigestion and irregularity. Take 1 or 2 digestive enzymes with your meal for assistance in breaking down proteins, carbohydrates and fats. We love (love, LOVE!) DigestGold Enzymes, and we’re offering 20% off in anticipation of our Thanksgiving feasts.
While probiotics can boost immunity anytime, they also make great post-meal curatives. Each Healthy Trinity probiotic capsule contains a minimum of 30 billion colony forming units (cfu) of three super strains of bacteria known to target the gastrointestinal tract. Pop a few of these babies after the big meal and you’ll be yourself again in no time!
When it comes to promoting a sweet night’s sleep, we sip Yogi Kava Stress Relief tea before bed—the Kava calms the body and mind, and we’re hooked on the combo of cinnamon, sarsaparilla and carob flavors. Mmmmmm.
Try not to overeat this thanksgiving. And drink lots of water, especially if you’re having alcohol. (If you drink a little TOO much alcohol, pick up some PartyTime, an herbal hangover treatment that supports the liver and makes for a better morning after).
Here’s to eating AND being merry this holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving!
Ask Steve, one of Rising Tide’s Supplement Buyers, how to minimize stress over the holidays and he’ll tell you to take two minutes to stop and BREATHE. Excellent advice, for sure, and we should all be doing a whole lot more of it. This is especially true when the pace of life picks up around the holiday season. Shopping, cleaning, cooking, parties, visiting with family–these can all amp up our stress quotient to the point where we’re fatigued, irritable and even physically ill with colds and other bugs.
In addition to remembering to breathe, there are a whole bunch of other tools to help you mitigate stress levels when things get loopy. Adaptogenic herbs should be way at the top of any stress-busting list. These botanicals (Rhodiola, Holy Basil and Ashwaganda, to name a few) improve the health of your adrenal system, the system that’s in charge of managing your body’s hormonal response to stress. They’re called adaptogens because of their unique ability to “adapt” their function according to your body’s specific needs, strengthening the body’s response to stress and enhance its ability to cope with anxiety and fight fatigue – slowly and gently. We’ve got adaptogens both in single herb varieties or as more broad-based adaptogenic formulas (our favorites are Gaia’s Adrenal Health and Stress Care by Himalaya).
Another great stress reducer is the amino acid L-theanine, a derivative of green tea (minus the caffeine). Known to increase the levels of dopamine and GABA in the brain (without any of the agitation caused by caffeine), l-theanine is safe to use for both kids and adults, and the feedback we get from customers is remarkable. Stuck on line at the mall? Pop an L-theanine with lemon balm by Life Extension and feel a wave of calm wash over you. Really!
L-theanine can also get your mind in the right place for sleep–something we can all use a bit more of if we want to keep stress at bay. One of our top-selling sleep formulas is Tranquil Sleep by Natural Factors. A combo of L-theanine and melatonin (the hormone that controls your sleep cycles), Tranquil Sleep will help you fall asleep quickly, sleep soundly through the night, and wake up feeling refreshed, without any of the potentially harmful side effects caused by pharmaceutical sleep aids.
Whenever you need a hit of peace, you can also look to Bach Flower Remedies. A safe and natural method of healing discovered by Dr. Bach in 1920s England, the flower remedies gently restore the balance between mind and body. Rescue Remedy, the most popular of the Flower Remedies, is actually a combo of five remedies, uniquely designed to help us get through stressful situations by helping us to relax, get focused and CALM DOWN!
As you can see, we are full of ideas to help you de-stress naturally this holiday season. A couple of other tips you can tackle on your own: spend some time outdoors (the sunlight is a mood elevator), say no to too many obligations (that cookie swap can happen without you this year) and don’t squeeze in more holiday than you can handle (less is more!). When you need a little crutch, your natural medicine chest will have everything you need to make this holiday season the most chill one ever.