September is National Organic Month!
September is a perfect time to dive into the benefits that shopping organic has to offer you, your family, and the planet. Rising Tide offers many clean options across multiple departments – (and we are particularly proud of our 100% Certified Organic produce department—the only one in the area). But let’s take a look at what ‘organic’ means and what these products have to offer.
What is Organic?
Most of us have a grasp on what organic products are made without (ie GMOs), but there really is SO much more to earning the 100 percent organic label.
According to the USDA, certified organic foods are grown and processed according to federal guidelines addressing, among many factors, soil quality, animal raising practices, pest and weed control, and use of additives. Organic producers rely on natural substances and physical, mechanical, or biologically based farming methods to the fullest extent possible. Learn more about the processes and standards here.
What the Labels Mean
Understanding what the labels mean empowers customers to make informed decisions about the food they purchase. And it might help you to know our staff is extremely knowledgeable in this area and is always available to answer any questions you might have!
- 100% Organic: All the ingredients are certified organic.
- Organic: At least 95% of the ingredients are certified organic.
- Made With Organic Ingredients: At least 70% of the ingredients are certified organic.
There are a lot of studies that show organic food may simply be better for your health. For example, Only Organic highlights a 2016 study found that organic dairy and meat contain about 50 percent more omega-3 fatty acids. AND in 2014 a comprehensive review of earlier studies found substantially higher levels of antioxidants and lower levels of pesticides in organic fruits, vegetables and grains compared with conventionally grown produce.
There are many more benefits of shopping organic that include the health of you, your family, and the planet – you can read more about these advantages here.
Prepping and cooking a turkey can be a daunting task – but with this guide, (including a cook time chart according to weight), you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Rinse the turkey (fresh or defrosted) well and pat dry before seasoning and dressing.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place turkey into a roasting pan with the breast up and tie legs together.
- Season the turkey using melted butter and your choice of herbs. Make sure to get the butter and seasoning under the skin but be careful not to tear it.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes, until light browning occurs, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F for remaining cooking time. Cooking time is weight-based: plan for approximately 12-14 minutes per pound of turkey. (see chart below)
- Baste every 15-20 minutes and rotate the pan every half hour.
- Bake until inner temperature is 165°F at the thickest point. For a true temperature, insert meat thermometer into the thigh and push into the densest part of the breast.
- Don’t forget to check the stuffing (if using). It should also be 165°F.
- Once at temperature, remove from oven. Let turkey rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Reserve the pan drippings to make your gravy…or pick some up from RT’s grab and go (we won’t tell)!
Print version available here.
With the abundance of winter squash available, you might wonder the best (or perhaps easiest) ways to prepare the many varieties. Read on for the simplest roasting and cooking methods. You can also follow our guide to learn more about the plentiful squash available now at RT. When picking your squash, they should be heavy for their size and have a dull appearance. They should also be firm to the touch with no soft spots, bruises or cuts. If squash are cut, the flesh should have a moist appearance.
How to cook squash in the oven:
- Bake a smaller squash whole by piercing the skin with a knife in several places or by cutting it in half and removing the seeds and fibers. Place it whole, or halves with cut sides up, in an ungreased baking pan or dish.
- If baking halves, add about 1/4-inch water to the pan. Dot squash halves with butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the size and variety of the squash. Cool slightly.
- If whole, cut open and remove seeds and fibers after baking. Remove skin.
How to cook squash on the stove-top:
- Peel squash, and cut into 1-inch cubes or slices.
- To boil, cover and cook in 1-inch boiling water 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- To steam, place steamer basket in ½-inch water in saucepan or skillet; add squash. Cover tightly and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Steam cubes seven to 10 minutes, for slices steam 12 to 15 minutes.
Read more about how to prepare squash
Whether you’re just starting a new path or looking for something to supplement your existing program, these products have been hand-selected by our expert staff to support weight management.
mykind Organics Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Gummies
These gummies may help make your diet and exercise program more effective with Organic Svetol® Green Coffee Bean Extract, which has been clinically shown to burn fat and help maintain healthy blood glucose levels.* Enjoy all the benefits of apple cider vinegar without the artificial ingredients or gelatin!
Raw Organic Fit Vanilla Powder
Raw Organic Protein is a Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified Raw Vegan Protein powder made with 13 Raw sprouted proteins delivering 22 grams of protein that is dairy free with a complete profile of all the essential amino acids along with added whole food fat-soluble vitamins, probiotics and enzymes. This protein powder is said to burn fat, satisfy hunger, and build muscle.*
AMPK Metabolic Activator
Studies show that increasing AMPK activity can encourage cells to stop storing fat and start burning it for energy. That’s how we formulated our AMPK Metabolic Activator to help fight unwanted belly fat.*
- Encourages the body to burn stored abdominal fat
- Revitalizes youthful AMPK levels
- Two potent botanical extracts trigger AMPK activity
- Promotes healthy cellular metabolism
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
As the seasons change, you may be able to manage your allergies naturally. These supplements have been hand-picked by our expert supplement staff.
Boiron RhinAllergy tablets target specific symptoms of hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies. These non-drowsy, quick-dissolving tablets are easy to take at the first sign to relieve itchy, watery, burning and irritated eyes; sneezing; runny nose; and itchy throat and nose.*
- Homeopathic multi-symptom allergy medicine.
- Non-drowsy, non-habit forming.
- Won’t mask symptoms of a more serious condition.
- Dissolve quickly under the tongue without water, chewing, or swallowing pills.
- Recommended for everyone ages 2 and up.
* Claims based on traditional homeopathic practice, not accepted medical evidence. Not FDA evaluated.
Your body’s normal immune response to spring, summer, fall and even winter can often feel like a full frontal challenge. The beauty of Quercetin and Nettle (Freeze-dried) is their ability to support your body’s normal histamine-producing response.*
- 60 Non-GMO bovine gelatin capsules
- Contains Certified Organic Nettle (Freeze-dried) tops processed in small batches for optimum potency
- FREE from dairy, wheat, gluten, peanuts, soy or corn allergens
- Product verified Non-GMO by SGS, an independent, third-party lab
*Statements herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to treat or diagnose any disease or health condition.
Information has been taken from product websites. To read more please visit Boiron and Oregon’s Wild Harvest.
Getting the Plant Sterols You Need with Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart
Did you know that over 100 million Americans have high cholesterol and many don’t know it?
Cholesterol problems can affect anyone, regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, and family history, but because high cholesterol typically can’t be felt, many people don’t even realize their levels are high. Fortunately, there is now an effective tool to help you get even better results on top of choosing healthier foods and exercise.
Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart is a unique and natural solution for cholesterol management unlike anything else on the market. A simple combination of North American pine tree sterols and water, Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart delivers 2000 mg of plant sterols per serving in a vegan solution for heart health.
*Plant sterols are compounds that exist naturally in plants like nuts and seeds, and they promote healthy cholesterol levels and heart health. By replacing the cholesterol from food in our intestines, plant sterols help to effectively lower cholesterol by making sure we absorb less of it. The National Institutes of Health recommend a daily intake of 2000 mg of plant sterols per day for natural cholesterol management. The problem is most people are only getting 200-400 mg of plant sterols per day in their regular diet because keeping a diet with enough plant sterols per day is hard.
Now you can help fill the gap in your daily plant sterol needs with Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart. Delivering a highly concentrated 2000 mg of plant sterols in a convenient, single-serving stick pack, Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart ensures you’re getting the beneficial amount of plant sterols you need every day for natural, effective cholesterol management.
Clinically proven to lower LDL cholesterol in as little as four weeks, Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart can be easily mixed with food and liquids, both hot and cold. The formula is made with NSF certified Non-GMO North American pine tree plant sterols and validated as Vegan by the Vegetarian Society.
Already taking medication to manage your cholesterol? Plant sterols can still help. Studies have shown adding 2000 mg of plant sterols to a healthy diet, exercise, and cholesterol-lowering medication has additional benefits for your cholesterol and heart health.
Wiley’s Finest® Bold Heart is available in an unflavored, one-month supply of 30 stick packs.
Disclaimer: This information is provided for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Always consult your healthcare provider for medical advice.
Note: If you take Zetia®, also known as Ezetimibe, taking plant sterols are not recommended.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Now is the perfect time to explore potential benefits of the various supplements available. Our expert staff put together the top eight immune boosting essentials to take the guesswork out of choosing the right ones. If you have any questions just ask the supplement staff in the store!
Many of us already know that most citrus fruits contain a ton of Vitamin C, which is necessary for the growth, development and repair of body tissues. And though Grapefruit is packed with this immune-boosting vitamin, it also has a multitude of other health benefits. Rich in nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, Grapefruit is one of the healthiest (and lowest calorie) citrus fruits available.
Studies have shown that consuming Grapefruit has a multitude of potential benefits, including:
- Controlling appetite and aiding in weight loss
- Protecting against inflammation and several infectious diseases, due to the abundance of Vitamin A
- Providing small amounts of B vitamins, zinc, copper and iron, which all work together to promote immune system function, and maintain healthy skin
Grapefruit is in season in the winter, peaking between November and May. The average lifespan of a grapefruit tree is approximately 50 years.
Grapefruit may interact with certain medications, so it’s important to talk to your health care provider before consuming any grapefruit products.
We’ve watched with pride as our customers adjusted to new circumstances, texted in their shopping lists, and never, ever gave up their desire to live their best, healthiest lives. Take your efforts one step further by supplementing with some of our top picks for immune support and virus protection.
- My Community by Host Defense: Mushrooms = immunity! We are long-time proponents of this blend of 17 potent mushroom species designed to balance the immune system.
- Zinc: An abundance of studies over the last 50 years point to the power of zinc to protect against many different viruses.
- Vitamin C: A potent antioxidant that contributes to immune defense. Don’t leave home without it.
- Vitamin D3: Decreased vitamin D has been linked with susceptibility to infection, and a recent study out of Northwestern University links Vitamin D3 levels with COVID-19 mortality.
- Monolaurin —Made from lauric acid (a component of both coconut fat and breast milk), Monolaurin is commonly used to prevent the common cold, flu, and other viral infections.
- C&F Seasonal Support by Woostock Herbal Products: Our favorite herbal immune support blend, featuring elderberry, goldenseal, licorice root, osha root, garlic bulb and more.
- Olive leaf extract: Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and a must-have for immunity support.
Summer’s not over yet! In fact, if you like the sultry heat, we still have some of the best days of the season ahead of us. That being said, if you have children, it’s probably not too soon to start thinking about back to school. The yearly preparation for a new school year can be overwhelming…and anything but good for the environment. This year, take a greener approach to back to school with these simple tips.
1. Aim for a zero waste lunch. School lunch = unnecessary waste. According to Treehugger, the average American school child wastes an estimated 67 pounds in discarded school lunch packaging every school year (that’s 18,760 pounds of waste per elementary school). Start your quest for a more eco-friendly lunch by skipping plastic sandwich and snack bags, and opt instead for reusable or recyclable containers. We love Stashers, reusable silicon storage bags that come in a variety of sizes perfect for your child’s lunchbox (or yours). Next, if your kids like what they’re eating they’ll be less likely to toss it! Give them some buy in; take them shopping and let them pick one or two items each week.
2. Get your kids a reusable water bottle. Stainless steel or glass are the most eco-friendly options (and you won’t have to worry about toxins from a plastic bottle seeping into their water). Some schools have water filling stations where kids can refill their bottle throughout the day; encourage them to “refuel” and stay hydrated. Our stainless steel HydroFlasks and glass Life Factory bottles both work well for this purpose.
3. Inventory your supplies before you shop. This will help you avoid repurchasing items you already have. Make a list of what you really need and stick to it. If you find you have too much of something, donate it! In fact, you can bring your extras right to Rising Tide; we are currently a drop-off point for the Glen Cove Youth Bureau’s Fill-a-Bookbag drive, and they are our Charity of the Month for August.
4. Purchase consciously. When you do buy school supplies, look for those with minimal packaging and/or made from recycled or sustainable materials. Your child will still have everything they need to succeed, but in a planet-friendly way. For example, some Post-its are made with 67% recycled materials, Tree Smart makes recycled pencils and pens, and Oxford Earthwise makes pocket folders from 100% recycled paper.
5. Keep germs at bay with a nontoxic hand sanitizer. To avoid spreading the common cold and other viruses, regular hand cleaning is a must in schools; however, it doesn’t always happen as often as it should. Sending your child with a green hand sanitizer such as the sprays and gels from EO and Dr. Bronner, and the hand sanitizing wipes from CleanWell can make it a healthier year for all. In fact, send in a few: one to keep in the desk, one in the backpack, and one in the lunchbox.
One last tip: schedule some time outdoors even after school starts. We know there will be homework and other activities, but time in the fresh air is good for a child’s focus, mood, and overall health. Plus, studies show that a child who learns to love nature as a child is more likely to become a steward of the Earth as an adult. SO…go outside!