It’s time to boost immunity in whatever ways we can…school is back in session. Last month we recommended three supplements kids could take to boost immunity for the long year ahead. But staying healthy isn’t just for kids! Here are a few of the best ways for us to ward off contagious critters this cold and flu season and beyond. All three can be taken preventatively (silver is best taken at the first inkling of a chink in the immunity armor)…start now for protection you can count on.
- Sovereign Silver Colloidal Silver: Silver has been used for more than 2,000 years to help safeguard human health. A natural element that can be found in whole grains, edible and medicinal mushrooms, mammalian milk, spring water, sea water, and tap water, silver has been considered since ancient times to be an effective antimicrobial. The Sovereign Silver formula contains greater than 98% bio-active silver ions and silver nanoclusters, making it more powerful than other brands.Take 3 times a day for natural immunity support at the first sign of a cold or other virus or when you’re feeling particularly run down.
- Oregon’s Wild Harvest Astragalus: This mild, adaptogenic herb is perfect to take for long-term, deep immune support, and gentle enough for the elderly, kids…even your pets. In Chinese medicine, Astragalus is thought to protect against both mental and physical stresses. For best results, take regularly before cold and flu season hits. Orengon’s Wild Harvest is made right here in the U.S. from organic astragalus.
- Jarrow – Dophilus EPS Probiotics: Did you know some 80% of your immune system can be found in your gut? In the bid to stay healthy, it’s important to balance the good and bad bacteria in your body. Ongoing digestive and immune support can be found in these shelf-stable probiotics by Jarrow, featuring 8 different probiotic strains and 5 billion organisms per serving. Probiotics are safe to take every day, most effectively on an empty stomach; for an extra boost, you can also consume probiotic-rich foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kombucha.
The start of a new school year brings with it many exciting changes, Confinement indoors much of the day also brings with it the inevitable colds, flu and other viruses passed from one well meaning child to the next.
Children are exposed to millions of germs at school, resulting in 8-12 colds per year for children in day care or elementary school. It’s only a matter of time before these germs turn into a day off spent home sick in bed, and possibly spreading the illness to the rest of the family. Days off from school and work cost the US economy nearly $576 billion per year, according to Forbes.
There are ways to prepare for another school year and protect your kids from the germs they will encounter at school. Rather than reaching into the medicine cabinet to treat your child’s symptoms, here are a few ways to boost your child’s immune system and prevent illness.
1. Natural Factors Vitamin C Fruit Chews: Vitamin C is vital to the body’s maintenance of overall health. This easy-to-take chewable formula by Natural Factors—with 500mg of 100% Vitamin C in every chew, plus citrus bioflavonoids, rosehips and rutin for increased absorption—it’s one of our top-sellers. Available in 4 kid-friendly flavors: Blueberry, Raspberry and Boysenberry; Jungle Juice; Four Mixed Fruit Flavors, and Peach, Passionfruit and Mango. $13.99, 30 chewables
2. Probiotic Garden of Life: Like the rest of us, kids need probiotics to build a healthy microbiome and support digestive and immune health. We love the Dr. Formulated Chewable Probiotics from Garden of Life. Designed by David Perlmutter, M.D., an expert in the human microbiome, a board-certified neurologist, Fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and an expert in brain health, this USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified probiotic has no added sugar, contains vitamin C from the organic Amla berry (30mg), vitamin D (400IU), and prebiotic fiber to help maintain healthy immunity. Available in 3 delicious flavors including Berry Cherry, Strawberry Banana and Watermelon. Everyday low price $18.99, 90 chewables
3. Wiley’s Finest Fish Oil: Fish Oil delivers nutrients that support the development of young bodies, including healthy eyes, healthy brain function, and vital immunity. This liquid fish oil for kids is easy to mix into applesauce or mild enough to take right off the spoon. Begninner’s DHA (ages 1+) has 400 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per serving; Elementary DHA for school-age children (ages 4+) has 1000 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA per serving. Everyday low price $23.99, 4.23 fl oz
At Rising Tide, we’re ever on the lookout for the best products in every category; those that will bring joy and health to your lives, while doing no harm to the planet. This month we’re excited to introduce you to three clean, new additions to our soap lineup. Sudsy, safe and sustainable, each has it’s own unique spin.
1. Kirk’s Odor Neutralizing Hydrating Hand Wash. American-made and family owned since 1839, Kirk’s soaps are super clean, made with a coconut oil base and scented with just essential oils. The best part: if you are sensitive to scents, there is a wonderful fragrance-free option.
2. Another old-timer, Grandpa Bar Soap originated in 1878 and has been family owned and operated since 1936. The Charcoal soap—made from steam-activated charcoal and organic hemp and mint oils—works to draw out the dirt and toxins that clog congested pores, and restores clarity to oily and combination skin. The Epsom Salt soap teams the detoxifying power of epsom salt with odor neutralizing baking soda to deep clean the grimiest of grimes. All Grandpa’s products are guaranteed free of phthalates, sulfates, EDTA, artificial fragrances or colorants, and animal by-products.
3. Dr. Bronner’s 4-in-1 Sugar Pump Soaps. Looking for moisture? Look no further than Dr. Bronner’s Organic pump soaps (Dr. Bronner’s has long been one of our favorite brands, due to its uber clean products and commitment to the environment). Fair trade, organic sugar gives these soaps a rich caramel color and sweet scent, and along with white grape juice, helps keep skin nourished, hydrated and smooth, Organic coconut, olive and hemp oils blend for a creamy castile lather. And since this is a 4-in-1 product, you can use the sugar pump soaps to safely clean hands, face, body and hair.
You are what you eat…even when it comes to your sunscreen. Try as you might to avoid it, it’s still possible to ingest sunscreen from your lips, or inhale toxic ingredients in sunscreen sprays. That’s why the Environmental Working Group (EWG) suggests avoiding sunscreens with ingredients that can harm our lungs or other organs. Both active and inactive ingredients in chemical sunscreens have been shown to cause myriad health issues in users, including hormone disruption and low birth weight. Broad-spectrum mineral sunscreens using either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are currently the only ones considered safe by the FDA, who declared in February that chemical sunscreens will need more testing to determine safety.
Check out three of our favorite (reef-safe) mineral sunscreens for Summer 2019:
1. All Good: With certified organic ingredients (tested in their own “herbal test garden”), the highest quality medicinal herbs, and a strong commitment to reef-friendly products, All Good is as good as it gets. In addition to the causes its uplifts through the 1% for the Planet program, All Good maintains an Activist Athlete program reserved for top athletes who excel not only in an outdoor sport, but also in fighting for environmental and social causes. Protect yourself: We carry All Good Sunscreen Butter SPF 50, Sport Spray SPF, Kids Spray SPF30, and Sunscreen SPF 30, all with 80 minutes of water resistance.
2. Think Sport: Founded by a biochemist with a passion for health and preventative medicine, Think Sport sets itself apart by working with leading scientists to create safe, clean sun care alternatives, effective enough for even the most extreme athletes. Driven by a desire to educate the public about the dangers of too much skin exposure and the harmful chemicals in many sun care products, Think Sport is a founding member of the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Sun Safety Campaign and a member of the Safe Sunscreen Council. Products apply and absorb easily, with no oily feel. Protect yourself: We carry Think Good Baby, Kids and Adult formulas, all in SPF 50, with 80 minutes of water resistance.
3. MyChelle: One of the first cosmetic manufacturers to reject ingredients that are toxic to marine life, MyChelle’s Sun Care products are clean, safe, effective, and natural. In addition to broad-spectrum protection by way of a mineral base (zinc oxide or titanium oxide), MyChelle adds antioxidants to shield from infrared radiation and slow the creation of wrinkles; perhaps this is why it is recommended by dermatologists. MyChelle is a founding member of EWG Verified, the program that lets you easily identify the products that meet EWG’s criteria for transparency and health; look for the EWG Verified mark. Protect yourself: We carry Michelle Sun Shield Spray SPF 50, Solar Defense Body Lotion SPF 50, Sun Shield Unscented SPF 28, Liquid (Non-tinted or Nude) SPF 50, and Sun Shield Clear Stick SPF 50.
Moms-to-be have choices to make when it comes to treating various conditions—major and minor—that afflict them during those precious 40 weeks. According to Aviva Romm, well-known midwife, medical doctor, and herbalist, approximately 45% of women use some type of herbal remedy during their pregnancy. But even herbal remedies aren’t without their potential drawbacks; be sure to get your herbal 411 from a trusted source with an in-depth knowledge of herbs and pregnancy.
1. Stress relief/Sleep: Boiron Sedalia temporarily relieves nervousness, hypersensitivity, irritability and fatigue due to stress. Wishgarden Herbs Stress Relief contains a gentle combo of herbs to nourish and refresh your nervous system and help you put stress in perspective.
2. Morning sickness: Calm-a-Tum by Wishgarden Herbs is a tincture containing a carefully selected blend of traditional southwestern herbs (peach leaf, peppermint leaf and wild yam root) to relieve normal nausea associated with pregnancy. If you’d rather sip some tea, try soothing Traditional Medicinals Ginger with Chamomile whenever you’re feeling queasy. And if its your prenatal vitamins that are the culprits, Garden of Life Raw Prenatal is a capsule featuring a tummy-soothing combo of organic ginger root and probiotics.
3. Cold & Allergy: Wishgarden Herbs Kick-It Allergy is a unique combination of herbs designed to support healthy immune response, and to assist lymph, eyes, nose and throat naturally.
Bonus: Once the baby is born, many women look for ways to enhance the quality and volume of their breast milk to keep baby satiated and well-nourished. When It comes to post-partum milk production we recommend both Gaia Lactation Support and Wishgarden Herbs Milk Rich; both use age-old breastfeeding herbs including raspberry leaf, fennel seed, fenugreek seed and goat’s rue (Milk Rich only) to promote healthy and ample breast milk.
You may not have felt it yet…but it’s coming. Allergy season is nearly upon us, and according to the folks at Patch.com, it’s set to be a particularly intense one for New Yorkers. (Excess moisture has given the grass and trees lots of fuel to create the dreaded pollen…lucky us!)
Are you or someone you love a seasonal allergy sufferer? If you get hold of these natural allergy fighters now, you may be able to head the spring pollen peril off at the pass…naturally, with no groggy/foggy feeling or other side effects.
1. Oregon’s Wild Harvest’s Aller-Aid with Quercetin. For more manageable allergies in springtime, this verified non-GMO herbal formula contains freeze-dried nettle and quercetin to support the body’s normal histamine-producing response, and N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) to break down mucous and increase antioxidant activity.
2. Kick-Ass Allergy from Wishgarden. This potent blend of traditional Southwestern herbs (Yerba Santa leaf, Echinacea, Nettle, Orange Peel) supports a healthy respiratory system and helps bring allergy sufferers back into balance. We love the Wishgarden line, family-owned and women-run, making small-batch artisanal products with only the cleanest ingredients.
3. Y.S. Bee Pollen. High in protein, antioxidants and vitamins, bee pollen is one of nature’s perfect superfoods. Great for both seasonal allergies and energy, you can find the Y.S. Bee Pollen granules in our refrigerated case (with the probiotics).
BONUS: If you can do only one thing to prevent allergies, Rebekah from the RT Wellness Department recommends getting a daily dose pf nettles tea; Traditional Medicinals makes one she really likes. In addition to curtailing seasonal allergies, nettles have been used for thousands of years to support joint health and promote whole body wellness. Happy Spring!
Note: As always, we recommend consulting with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement program.
March 8th is International Women’s Day, and we’re honoring the women in our lives by introducing them to WomenSense by Natural Factors: a complete line of natural, non-GMO products carefully formulated to target the specific needs of women as they journey through life.
1. In your 20s-30s: EstroSense is our choice for promoting regular monthly cycles. It also assists with painful periods, PMS, and non-cystic acne. We love that this formula includes turmeric for inflammation and milk thistle, DIM, and Calcium D-Glucarate for detoxing harmful environmental hormones.
2. In your 40s-50s: The intensity of work and family life can lead to fatigue, trouble sleeping, and increased cortisol levels. AdrenaSense helps reenergize your body, supports healthy cortisol levels and adrenal function, and promotes uninterrupted sleep. Featuring adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha, shisandra, rhodiola and eleuthero, it’s also our pick for recovery from physical and mental stress.
3. In your 50s-60s: MenoSense supports women through menopause with the help of known herbal hormone regulators such as dong quai, chasteberry, black cohosh and more. It’s one of our top choices for reducing some of the most common symptoms of menopause: night sweats, hot flashes, irritability, and nervousness.
Additional products we recommend to help balance women’s hormones include Vitex (or Chaste Tree Berry) by Gaia, safe for teens and others with more sensitive systems. Women’s Balance, also by Gaia, is an effective all-around hormone balancing product, ideal for symptoms of both PMS and menopause, and frequently recommended for both bloating and women who are experiencing moodiness and/or sadness.
In honor of Heart Month, we’ve compiled a quick primer on some of the healthiest ways to regulate your body’s cholesterol levels.
1. Ubiquinol. If you’re on a statin (like 25% of American adults) you must take ubiquinol—the form of CoQ10 your body uses for energy production—to add back the CoQ10 the statins have depleted. If you don’ take a statin, you’re also in luck: there is evidence to show that ubiquinol can raise levels of good, HDL cholesterol and lower some of the biomarkers that are risk factors for heart disease. We like Ubiquinol by Bluebonnet. Available at Rising Tide Every Day Low Prices.
2. Wiley’s Finest Omega 3 with Plant Sterols. For those with a sensitivity to statins, or who have tried without success to use red yeast rice to control cholesterol, we’ve got the thing for you. Wiley’s Finest Omega 3 with Plant Sterols is a fantastic choice for promoting healthy cholesterol levels. Unlike other plant sterol products on the market made with corn and/or soy, Wiley’s are made from non-GMO North American pine tree sterols. All Wiley’s products are third-party tested from the boat to the shelf, and Wiley’s standards and methodology are beyond reproach. Fished in Alaska and manufactured in Ohio, Wiley’s Finest products are American through and through.
This and all Wiley’s Finest products are available at Rising Tide Every Day Low Prices.
3. Citrus Bergamot. There are some remarkable studies confirming the efficacy of this cholesterol product. It’s all about the flavanols! Bergamot can be used in conjunction with the Wiley’s Omega 3 with Plant Sterols, or as a complement to statins. Research has also credited bergamot with raising good cholesterol, removing fatty deposits in the liver, and lowering blood sugar levels.
We like Citrus Bergamot by Jarrow Formulas, on sale this month at Rising Tide.
This time of year there’s always a lot of talk about changing our diets for the better (healthier, cleaner, etc.) In particular, for both health and environmental reasons, more and more Americans are making the move toward a plant-based diet. There are some simple ways to make the change gradual: start by making one meal a day plant-based; try one new ingredient each week; or tweak one of your favorite meals to be vegan.
If you do end up eliminating animal products, remember: the more restrictive your diet is, the more challenging it can be to get all the nutrients your body needs to function optimally. Choose a nutrition-packed plant-based protein powder for your morning smoothie (one of our favorites is Sun Warrior), pad meals with lots of nuts, seeds and legumes, and consider these three supplements to ensure a smooth transition to plant-based living:
1. Algae plant-based Omega 3 by Iwi: Fish eat krill; krill eat algae. Vegans/vegetarians can skip the middleman(fish) and go straight to this source of vital omegas 3s (known to reduce risk of heart-related conditions and some cancers, to improve brain function and bone health, improve inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and much, much more). We like the Iwi product because it’s 100% vegan, non-GMO and grown sustainably on farms in the Southwestern U.S. using brackish water and solar power.
2. Iron and herb supplement Floradix: Iron is essential for hemoglobin formation and the effective circulation of oxygen throughout the body. Inadequate levels of iron in the blood can lead to exhaustion and irritability. Since your body absorbs heme iron (from meat, poultry, and fish) 2-3 three times more efficiently than non-heme iron from plants, vegetarian/vegans are at an increased risk of developing an iron deficiency. But don’t worry! Dark leafy greens, whole grains, and legumes are all rich in iron; pair them with vitamin-C-rich foods (bell peppers, berries, broccoli, etc.) to boost absorption. Or supplement with this iron and herbal supplement from Floravital. Vegetarian Floradix Herbal Iron Extracts have a rate of iron absorption at 25% (compared to the average absorption rate of iron tablets at 2-10%). It includes Vitamin C to help with absorption, and it’s not constipating, like most iron supplements.
3. Methyl B12 by Jarrow Formulas: Vitamin B12 is necessary to help red blood cells function effectively. The food sources with the highest B12 content are from animals: eggs, cheese, beef, lamb, and shellfish, to name a few. Youcanget B12 from sea vegetables like arame, kombu, nori and wakame, but these foods are not a regular part of most Western diets. Instead, vegetarians and vegans can augment their diets with a high-quality B12 supplement. Methylcobalamin (methyl b12) from Jarrow Formulas is more bioavailable than other forms of B12. One chewable lozenge a day can help maintain brain health, vitality, restful sleep, and a better mood. Available in tropical and cherry flavors.
Stress this time of year is as ubiquitous as tinsel, cranberries and shelf elves. Whether it’s anxiety about your growing to-do list, worrying about the money you’re spending on gifts and festivities, or stress about time spent with family members that always, ALWAYS get under your skin, the reasons for experiencing extra stress in December are many. But so can be your ways of coping.
Meditate, exercise, take hot baths, and get plenty of sleep. In addition to the self-care, look to natural medicine to guide the way through the maze of holiday stressors. Here are the top 3 we recommend when you’re feeling overwrought, overburdened and overextended:
1. Adrenal Health Daily Support, by Gaia Herbs. Think of this as your “happy pill” for the holidays. Chronic stress can tax your adrenal glands, and affect your body’s ability to heal. Support in the form of a powerful combination of herbs (Holy Basil for emotional wellbeing; milky oats for relief of day-to-day tension, and adaptogenic herbs like Rhodiola and Ashwaghanda to promote optimal energy) will take you through the hectic pace of life this time of year. Take two; you should start to feel the calming effects right away.
2. L-Theanine: This amino acid—a derivative of green tea—is a natural stress reliever. Taken once or twice a day, it can have a calming, sedative effect on the body and mind without making you feel drowsy. The Natural Factors L-theanine product also contains magnesium, which enhances it’s power to invoke tranquility.
GABA: This neurotransmitter plays a role in mitigating stress by reducing the activity of nerve cells in the nervous system. Often prescribed for ADHD, as well, it can help you focus and takes the edge off your holiday anxiety. Try Pharma GABA chewable tablets, by Natural Factors. **On sale this month!**
3. Rescue Remedy by Bach: Whether in drop or spray form, Reduce Remedy—made from five different flower remedies, each playing a different role—is a tried-and-true path to immediate relief from stressful occasions. Take 4 drops directly on the tongue, or apply two sprays onto the tongue.
Try as we may to exercise self-control, Thanksgiving can be a day of excess for many. It’s hard to resist when we see some of our favorite foods only once a year! Do the best you can (don’t arrive starving, focus on healthy veggie dishes, take a walk before dessert), and arm yourself with some helpful digestive supplements that will keep you from having TOO many regrets.
1. 30 minutes before the meal. Let a great probiotic be your digestive insurance policy this Thanksgiving. We like Natren’s Healthy Trinity probiotic, with a minimum of 30 billion colony forming units (cfu) of three potent, super strains of beneficial bacteria in each capsule.
2. Right before the meal. When our tastebuds detect bitter, it’s a wake-up call for the digestive process. Take Herba Pharm’s Better Bitters 10 minutes before the big meal and let the body’s natural bitter response do the rest. Available in Classic, with the clean, pure taste of gentian; and Orange, featuring orange peel and ginger extract.
2. Right before the meal. A full-spectrum digestive enzyme will help to break down each of the foods you enjoyed for your holiday meal (carbs, fat, fiber and protein). Digest Gold Digestive Enzymes is a top-selling enzyme blend that helps the body absorb nutrients and convert food into energy. It will help you avoid digestive discomforts like gas, bloating and indigestion. (It’s okay to take your enzymes at the same time as your digestive bitters.)
It’s that time again. October is the official onset of cold and flu season, with all the runny noses, coughs, fevers and sick days the name implies. Don’t stress (stress lowers immunity, and you know where THAT will get you!)….we’ve got 3 essential items for your natural medicine cabinet (plus a fourth, bonus item) that should keep the fall/winter bugs at bay, or at least the most virulent ones.
1. The magic of mushrooms. The combo of 17 potent mushrooms in Host Defense’s MyCommunity can give your immune system a nice, natural boost. Phytochemicals such as beta-glucan found in these fantastic fungi have been shown to enhance the activity of several different types of immune cells.
2. Vitamin C: Don’t leave home without it. Truly Natural Vitamin C from HealthForce is a 100% food-based vitamin C complex made from the acerola cherry, and contains all the bioflavonoids, vitamins and minerals that are the cofactors for optimum vitamin C activity. Plus, it comes in powder form, making it easy to mix into a smoothie or in the water bottle you take to school, work, or to work out.
3. Vitamin D: The Power of sunshine. A recent study out of London indicated that supplementing with vitamin D can reduce the risk of respiratory infections—especially cold and flu—by about 10 percent. Take in capsules, drops, gummies…whatever form you’re most comfortable with to boost the amount of vitamin D in your bloodstream this time of year. How much should you take? Steve recommends 1,000 IU’s daily for kids under 11 and 2,000 IU’s for kids over 11 and adults. Bluebonnet makes a great chewable kids product, along with the soft gels for pill-swallowing pre-teens/teens and adults.
**BONUS**: The number one tool in your winter immunity arsenal might just be found in a cute little berry with extraordinary strength. Elderberries possess natural antiviral and antimicrobial properties that have been shown to shorten duration of cold and flu; in fact, they have been compared to drugs like Tamiflu for the treatment of flu (with none of the harsh side effects). We like the Gaia brand Elderberry, available in syrup or capsules.
Maybe you overdid it a little this summer…we can relate! BBQs, ice cream, alcohol…no one can blame you (us!) for enjoying all the best things the season has to offer. Now it’s time for a fresh start. Jen, our resident Wellness guru, kickstarted a summer detox on Sept. 1, with the goal of counteracting some of the damage she did this season. We’re presenting her protocol here, with the hopes that some of you will join her! Either way, we’ll touch base with her at the end of the month to see how the cleanse worked for her, and quantify what kinds of changes she’s experienced as a result.
Note: Jen chose these products because they’re all safe, known to be effective, and appropriate for most people. However, if you’re interested in embarking on a cleanse, but have questions about the particular products we’ve included here, feel free to check in with Jen…she’ll be happy to customize a cleanse for your unique needs.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Capsules from Enzymedica: Apple Cider Vinegar has been revered for centuries (Hippocrates prescribed it to his patients) and is now widely heralded for its effects on digestion, weight loss, promoting healthy blood sugar levels, and more. These capsules are great for those who don’t like the astringent taste of liquid ACV, or worry about the impact of liquid ACV on tooth enamel. Take two with each meal; each serving is equivalent to 1 tsp of liquid ACV.
2. Bluebonnet Liver Detox:This unique combo of amino acids (NAC and L-Glutathione) and wildcrafted herbal extracts (ginger root, turmeric root, dandelion root, etc.) will give your liver the break it so badly needs. Support detoxification while getting a healthy antioxidant boost.
3. Barleans Intestinal Repair: Part anti-bacterial/anti-fungal, part prebiotic and part healer of intestinal linings, this 3-in-1 formula is gentle yet powerful, and an important tool for any detox. Comes in Berry Flavor and mixes easily into water, juices, or smoothies.
* Bonus item! Moringa Oleifera powder from Kuli Kuli: This green superfood will add a nutritious boost to everything from smoothies to soups. Jen throws it right in her morning greens “kitchen sink” smoothie, which includes spinach kale, berries and any other high-antioxidant fruits and veggies she has on hand.
In addition to the above products, Jen plans to make some important lifestyle changes in September to facilitate her cleanse.
* Start her day with a glass of lemon water and a greens drink, and drink more water overall.
* Cut out all refined sugars.
* Create a 6-hour eating window to give her digestive system time to heal.
If you’re detoxing this month…good luck! Check in with Jen and let her know how it’s going.
Whatever you’re out there doing, we hope you’re doing a lot of it and having a ball! Our Wellness guru, Jen, has some super skincare tips to help protect your outer layer all summer long.
- Choose your sunscreen wisely. Jen loves the super clean MyChelle Sun Shield broad spectrum SPF30 that comes on clear, is never sticky and is safe for ocean reefs. Plus, it’s 100% vegan and contains none of the bad stuff (parabens, petroleum, phthalates, silicones, sulfates, ureas, or artificial fragrances or colors). Think of it as your summer skin-surance policy.
- A lovely shade of tan. In the quest for that perfect summer skin tone, the antioxidant power of BioAstin Hawaiian Astaxanthin may help lengthen time to sunburn, leaving you instead with that coveted tan. There’s also evidence that astaxanthin can act as an internal sunscreen, protecting the body from damage caused by UV rays.
- Banish that burn. If you forget to reapply your sunscreen (it happens to all of us!), Jen recommends this dynamic duo to soothe and heal burned skin. Blend together Aura Cacia Lavender Essential oil (reduces that burnt feeling and prevents blisters…keep in the kitchen for stovetop burns, too) and Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly (cools, soothes and hydrates tender skin…keep in fridge).
June is Men’s Health Month — time for men you know and love to assess their health routines and see where positive changes can be made. Where to start? Choose supplements specifically geared toward health issues that only men will face. Our resident Wellness Guru, Jen, offers up her top picks for all those amazing men who want to live in optimal health.
- New Chapter’s Every Man’s One Daily. It all starts with a great multi. Every Man One’s Daily is a whole food based multivitamin, featuring fermented vitamins and minerals that are easily digestible and easily assimilated by the body. Jen likes the addition of Elderberry (plus Eleuthero and Astragalus) for enhanced immune function.
- Life Extension’s Ultra Prostate Formula. Whatever the state of your prostate, this is one to add to your daily routine. This product does it all: promotes healthy prostate function, supports normal urine flow, inhibits excess estrogen, and supports a healthy inflammation response, all while helping maintain healthy PSA levels.
- Nature’s Plus Organic Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder. If your man’s boosting his smoothie with product that isn’t serving him, it might be time for a new protein powder. The Nature’s Plus Pumpkin Seed powder is packed with 15g of protein per serving and the great-tasting pumpkin seeds (and beneficial fatty acids) shown to promote prostate health.
This month and next, middle- and high-schoolers could be faced with higher-stakes exams that can lead to increased anxiety. Stress can hit while studying, or when sitting for the actual exams. Before test tension hits hair-pulling levels, try some natural de-stressors to help calm and center your student. Try them one at a time to see which one works best for your child.
- Stress Relax Pharma Gaba by Natural Factors. This natural source of the brain compound GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) can be both physically calming and help with mental focus. Teens and tweens (10 and up) can take two of these chewables as needed (up to 2x/day), either preventatively before a big test or as a grounding agent while studying.
- Rescue Remedy by Bach Flower. This famous blend of five different Bach Flower remedies is gentle and side-effect free, and can be used with kids of all ages. Take during times of acute stress as needed for balance and clarity.
- Homeopathic Stress Relief by Siddha Flower Essences. Add this liquid tension-reducer to your child’s water or juice; sipping throughout the day may help quell temporary anxiety while helping boost concentration. Stress Relief works progressively and cumulatively, so give to your children regularly for best results.
As we write this, we’re in the midst of our fourth nor’easter in so many weeks. It certainly doesn’t FEEL like spring, does it? But cold as it is, this is the BEST time to begin an anti-allergy protocol that should allow you to skate through allergy season unscathed (or at least in better form than in years past). Here Jen offers her springtime allergy prevention protocol. All three are safe for children, except where indicated. What are you waiting for? Start now!
- Nettles Quercetin by Oregon’s Wild Harvest. Stinging nettles are itchy when they touch your skin, but when ingested have been shown to promote a healthy immune response to seasonal allergies. Quercetin is among the important flavonoids that fight inflammation in the body, including inflammation related to allergies and asthma. Together they’re allergy prevention gold. Take one on an empty stomach once/day.
- Nenningers Naturals Triple Allergy Defense. These homeopathic remedies provide symptom relief of pollen, mold and dust allergies all in one bottle. And they do it all quickly, with no drowsiness and no harmful side effects. Take once daily.
- Neti pot. When used properly morning and night, the warm water and salt solution in this little vessel will loosen mucus to relieve congestion and clear out pollen and other allergens. We carry the Nasopure Nasal Wash System, as well as the more traditional net pot, from Ancient Secrets. For basic instructions on using a net pot, click here.
For children (who may be uncomfortable with the neti pot), use Xlear saline spray twice daily, morning and night. The spray not only moisturizes and soothes irritated sinuses and nasal cavities, but its secret ingredient—xylitol—prevents bacteria and allergens from sticking to nasal tissue.
Bonus tip for allergy sufferers: Put a little Un-Petroleum Jelly on a Q-tip and gently line the nostrils before you go outside—especially if you’ll be out in the woods or if it’s a windy day. The sticky jelly will catch the pollen before it has a chance to wreak havoc on your system.
February is Heart Month! Maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle is paramount when it comes to preventing heart disease. There is also a handful of well-studied supplements that may decrease your risk even further. We probed the natural medicine-loving mind of our Wellness guru, Jen, for her very top picks when it comes to preventing cardiovascular disease and maintaining healthy heart function.
- Fish oil: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil is one of the only natural remedies proven to bring down triglycerides. Get it from fish (especially fatty fish like wild salmon, sardines, lake trout or mackerel); the American Heart Association recommends adults eat at least two 3.5-ounce servings of fish each week. Not much of a fish eater? Supplement with 3,000 mg daily; 1,000mg with each meal. Jen recommends Wiley’s Finest Alaskan Fish Oil, on sale for Heart Month: 30 softgels $13.59; 60 softgels $31.99
- Hawthorn: Health-promoting flavonoids are the reason Hawthorn has been used for centuries as a heart remedy. The whole herb form (flower, leaf and berry) has been shown to improve blood flow, guard against blood vessel damage, and otherwise regulate and strengthen heart function. Jen likes organic Hawthorn by Oregon’s Wild Harvest, on sale for Heart Month: 60ct/ $13.59
- CoQ10: Not only does CoQ10 destroy free radicals that cause cardiovascular problems and heart disease, it also sparks energy production in every cell of your body—including the heart. Aging, intense athletic activity, and cholesterol-lowering agents such as red yeast rice and statins can compromise the levels and/or natural production of CoQ10 in the body. Supplement with Blue Bonnet Ubiquinol, the “active” antioxidant form of CoQ10, on sale for Heart Month: 30 softgels $13.19/60 softgels $22.79
In celebration of Heart Month, we’re also discounting the following heart-related supplements:
As the cold weather creeps in, retreating inside is inevitable. Also inevitable: more time spent in indoor air makes us more susceptible to whatever bugs might be lurking.
This year, take proactive steps to keep all miserable critters at bay. RT’s resident wellness guru, Jen Musgrove, offers her Top 3 Picks for staying cold and flu free this winter.
Elderberry: As far back as 460 BC, Hippocrates referred to elderberry as his “medicine chest,” owing to the great many health benefits conferred by the brightly colored herb. One of the oldest medicines on the planet, this natural antiviral and antimicrobial has been shown to shorten duration of cold and flu; in fact, it’s comparable to drugs like Tamiflu for the treatment of flu (with none of the harsh side effects). TRAVEL TIP: If you’re planning to take an airplane this winter, it’s been proven that supplementation with elderberry before, during, and after air travel has beneficial effects on travelers’ health—particularly respiratory health.
Jen likes the Gaia Black Elderberry Syrup for adults and kids. Use as directed.
Andrographis: Used as a cold remedy since ancient times in both India and China, the powerful andrographis herb is a great tool for squashing colds before they get you. (Unlike elderberry, andrographis is not known to be helpful once you’re in the acute phase of a cold, but does its best work as an immunity-boosting preventative.) Get your andrograghis fix with Kold Kare by Kare N Herbs. Use as directed. (Note: Kold Kare is safe to use with kids; Jen suggests one tablet a day.)
Astragalus: A Chinese herb used medicinally for thousands of years, the Astragalus root’s main claim to fame is its ability to regulate the body’s immune response. Specifically, astragalus boosts white blood cell activity to guard against seasonal colds, viruses and respiratory infections. Classified as an adaptogen, it also protects against mental, physical and emotional stress. (Bonus!) Jen recommends taking Oregon’s Wild Harvest Biodynamic tincture, and for children, Herbs for Kids Astragalus.
Plans, parties, shopping, cooking (not to mention the occasional night of overeating/drinking, later bedtimes, etc.)—this time of year everyone is go, go, go. Sometimes this perpetual activity can lead to trouble sleeping when you finally stop at the end of the day.
Our resident Wellness guru, Jen, has three great products that she consistently recommends to those who suffer from intermittent insomnia—at the holidays or anytime.
- If you like tea… try Gaia Sleep & Relax Tea. As part of a relaxing nighttime routine, sip a cup an hour before bedtime. Let the chamomile, lemon balm and passionflower do their thing, relieving tension and quieting the “Monkey Mind” that can prohibit restful sleep.
- Not a tea person… Try Sleep Better by Oregon’s Wild Harvest. A nutritional supplement featuring organic valerian root, organic ashwagandha root, organic passionflower tops, and organic hops, Sleep Better has helped many a troubled sleeper when nothing else would.
- If you had a crummy night and need a boost to make it through the day… try Four Sigmatic Stay Awake Mushroom Coffee Mix. Coffee plus Mushrooms, add it to your morning brew and it’ll feel like you’ve had a Red Eye—all energy, no jitters. You’ll also get the benefit of amazing functional mushrooms like cordyceps (for energy) and chaga (to boost immunity).
Here are some great tips for changing behaviors that can inhibit your ability to get a solid night of zzzz’s.
Rest easy this holiday season!
Breakouts are a part of life! In Jen’s Top 3 for October, the Rising Tide Wellness guru dishes on her go-to skin solutions for teens and adults.
Mother Dirt: Just brought these amazing new products in and have already had incredible feedback from staff and customers. Based on the idea of nurturing and restoring the skin biome (healthy bacteria = healthy skin), these products are perfect for anyone looking to lose the chemicals in their skincare routine while also enjoying awesome results. Try the Face & Body Cleanser, the Moisturizer and don’t miss the AO + Mist—a probiotic spray that’s magic at reducing oiliness, blotchiness, bumpiness, and dryness. Spray on in the morning and again at night.
Burdock Root: Burdock root is one of the most well-known detoxifying herbs, used in both Western and Chinese herbal medicine. Often recommended as a blood purifier, burdock eliminates the toxins that can cause chronic skin conditions (acne!). Jen recommends Burdock capsules from Oregon’s Wild Harvest. Take three at bedtime.
Evening Primrose Oil: The key ingredient in evening primrose oil is gamma-linolenic acid (GLA)—an omega-6 essential fatty acid that helps strengthen the skin barrier, reduce moisture loss, and reduce the inflammation and redness associated with acne. Our bodies can’t make GLA, but we can get it from other sources, including evening primrose oil. Jen recommends Rising Tide’s own brand of Evening Primrose. For best results, try 1,300mg daily for adults; 650mg for teens.
As always, feel free to talk with Jen about any of your concerns around acne or other skin care issues. And if you try her Top 3, let us know what works for you!
Welcome to the first edition of our new website series: Jen’s Top 3. We’ll check in once a month with Jen, Rising Tide’s resident Wellness guru, to find out what you need to be taking or doing RIGHT NOW to heal any aspect of your health.
Hard to believe it when you step outside, but cold and flu season is just about here. We asked our resident Wellness guru, Jen, about how best to protect ourselves from the most potent of the season’s bugs.
- Host Defense Comprehensive Immune: Mushrooms may look kooky, but they are actually some of the most powerful natural medicines on the planet. Host Defense’s blend of 17 potent mushroom species encourages resistance to cellular invaders (yuck!) and helps balance the immune system.
- MegaFood Vitamin D3 2,000 IU: Sufficient Vitamin D can reduce your risk of infectious disease by strengthening your innate immune system, allowing you to quickly and effectively fight off invaders before a full-blown infection develops. Jen likes Mega Food’s Vitamin D3; take one 2,000 IU capsule daily; take two or three if you’re under the weather.
- Garden of Life Once Daily Ultra Probiotic: Since 80 % of your immune system is located in your gut, it makes sense that probiotics (“good” bacteria that keep your gut healthy) would help ward off cold and flu viruses. Eat naturally fermented foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, miso, kefir) or take a high-quality probiotic supplement like this one from Garden of Life: 15 diverse strains and 90 billion CFUs of cold-and-flu-fighting probiotics are packed into a once-a-day capsule.