Prepping and cooking a turkey can be a daunting task – but with this guide, (including a cook time chart according to weight), you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Rinse the turkey (fresh or defrosted) well and pat dry before seasoning and dressing.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place turkey into a roasting pan with the breast up and tie legs together.
- Season the turkey using melted butter and your choice of herbs. Make sure to get the butter and seasoning under the skin but be careful not to tear it.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes, until light browning occurs, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F for remaining cooking time. Cooking time is weight-based: plan for approximately 12-14 minutes per pound of turkey. (see chart below)
- Baste every 15-20 minutes and rotate the pan every half hour.
- Bake until inner temperature is 165°F at the thickest point. For a true temperature, insert meat thermometer into the thigh and push into the densest part of the breast.
- Don’t forget to check the stuffing (if using). It should also be 165°F.
- Once at temperature, remove from oven. Let turkey rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Reserve the pan drippings to make your gravy…or pick some up from RT’s grab and go (we won’t tell)!