We’re happy to report that, due to customer demand, in-store shopping has returned to Rising Tide. This is what it looks like:
- In-store shopping hours are 8am – 4pm (we’re closed Wednesdays)
- A maximum of 8 customers are permitted in the store at one time
- Masks are required by ALL, and we encourage every customer to put on a pair of fresh gloves that we supply at the start of every shop
- Social distancing inside the store is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED through the use of floor decals and other signage
- Transactions are credit card only, and refunds are suspended until further notice
Don’t want to shop in-store? Enjoy our Curbside Pick-up service!
Rising Tide Owes Staff and Customers a Debt of Gratitude
We can honestly say without the tiniest bit of hesitation that we would not be able to carry on serving our community in the way we are without our caring, generous, hardworking, dedicated team of employees. Each time we thought we might not be able to meet customer demand, one of our amazing staff members would step up and overdeliver with high energy, teamwork, and can-do-attitudes that more than once brought tears to our eyes. We are indebted to you— the superstar Rising Tide team—and we feel so very lucky to have you.
And then there are our loyal, inspiring customers. From Mark, who donated and erected our tent to keep your groceries out of the rain, to the schoolchildren, showering us with thank you cards, to the hundreds of texts and social media posts we’ve received from customers expressing their gratitude, our daily efforts are fueled by the compassion and generosity of spirit of those that call this amazing community home. We can’t express enough how much those little gestures mean to us, and how they’ve gotten us through tough spots and down days. We are humbled by your generosity and your gratitude.
In order to service as many customers as possible in a way everyone feels good about, we plan to maintain our convenient curbside service for the foreseeable future. Curbside orders can be texted to 516-400-4360. Once you text, we’ll let you know which day we will shop your order (average wait time is 1 day). Let us know when you want your order shopped and we will do our best to oblige. Current pick-up hours are 4pm-8pm (we’re closed on Wednesdays to allow our staff to regroup and recharge).
Need eight items or less? Just come to the RT parking lot with your list and we will shop it on the spot. If you are elderly or for some other reason cannot text in your order, please bring it to us at the store—we will find a way to make it happen! No one who needs good healthy food will be left out in the cold.
We’ve watched with pride as our customers adjusted to new circumstances, texted in their shopping lists, and never, ever gave up their desire to live their best, healthiest lives. Take your efforts one step further by supplementing with some of our top picks for immune support and virus protection.
- My Community by Host Defense: Mushrooms = immunity! We are long-time proponents of this blend of 17 potent mushroom species designed to balance the immune system.
- Zinc: An abundance of studies over the last 50 years point to the power of zinc to protect against many different viruses.
- Vitamin C: A potent antioxidant that contributes to immune defense. Don’t leave home without it.
- Vitamin D3: Decreased vitamin D has been linked with susceptibility to infection, and a recent study out of Northwestern University links Vitamin D3 levels with COVID-19 mortality.
- Monolaurin —Made from lauric acid (a component of both coconut fat and breast milk), Monolaurin is commonly used to prevent the common cold, flu, and other viral infections.
- C&F Seasonal Support by Woostock Herbal Products: Our favorite herbal immune support blend, featuring elderberry, goldenseal, licorice root, osha root, garlic bulb and more.
- Olive leaf extract: Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and a must-have for immunity support.
So many in our community are hurting at this time. Many have lost jobs; many struggle to provide for basic needs for themselves and their families. For these reasons and more, it is our honor to be working with the Glen Cove High School Food Pantry to provide a weekly delivery of fresh fruit and other essential items which are distributed to some 150 Glen Cove families. We will continue this weekly dropoff as long as there is the need.
If you’d like to donate to the food pantry, bring your groceries to the back of the high school on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Drop-off is at the garage door next to the cafeteria. The food pantry has access to refrigerators, so eggs and dairy are okay in addition to non-perishables.
RT Shelves Are Filled with All the Essentials…and Much More
Thanks to some savvy buying on our end, and amazing distributors who move mountains to ensure we receive our essential items, we’ve got everything you need to keep living the healthy lifestyle you count on Rising Tide for. That means organic fruits and vegetables (fresh and frozen), paper products, grains and beans (and yes, we have YEAST!)—we’ve got it all. Plus, as always, we’ve got the carefully vetted, high-quality supplements necessary to keep your immune system strong as we move past COVID and into the future.
And while we are so lucky that our shelves are stocked, we are not currently able to run our monthly sale. Even with a complete assortment of essential items, supplies of other items have been intermittent, which has required us to look to other opportunities for procuring them. This means discounted pricing is not always possible. We are hoping to bring our sale back in the month of June or certainly as supplies allow.
Our Our Charity of the Month Program just keeps getting better and better!
We’re excited to report that in 2019, thanks to our amazing customers, we collected close to $9,000 for some of our favorite local charities! As a result of our continued support to these and other groups, we were recognized with a Community Service Award by the Glen Cove Chamber of Commerce in November at their 16th Annual Gala—an honor we accepted with great pride.
In addition, we’re happy to report that our second annual year-end Round Up for the Holidays allowed us to contribute $2,760 ($1,380 from our customers and a $1,380 match made by Rising Tide Natural Market), split evenly between two local charities that help fight hunger in the Glen Cove area: the Finley Middle School Food Pantry, located right across the street from Rising Tide, and the North Shore Soup Kitchen (formerly the North Shore INN), housed in the First Baptist Church in Glen Cove. Both groups support a cause that’s near and dear to our hearts…we’ll always step up to help others get the food they need to thrive.
These are some of the local organizations that we’ve had the pleasure of getting to know since our Charity of the Month program launched nearly three years ago. We hope by focusing on a different charity each month that some of you will get to know these amazing groups, too. They are some of the finest examples of the wonderful spirit of this community that we’ve come across.
Volunteers for Wildlife
Living Water for Women
All Our Energy
Coalition to Save Hempstead Harbor
Cove Animal Rescue
Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club
Glen Cove Youth Bureau
Finley Food Pantry
North Shore Sheltering Program
North Shore Soup Kitchen
As we dive into a new year, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who made it possible for Rising Tide to make these donations, each of which helps a stellar organization continue to do great, compassionate work in this community.
As we prepare for one of Rising Tide’s most exciting years on record (of course we’re talking about our beautiful, new 11,000 square foot store opening across from our current location later this year!) we’re looking forward to more giving, more volunteering, and more community engagement than ever before. If you have an idea for a local nonprofit organization that you think would make a good Rising Tide Charity of the Month, please reach out to us via our website. And thank you, as always, for your support.
We’re excited to revisit the Finley Middle School Food Pantry as our Charity of the Month for September.
Located just across the street from the store, the food pantry at Finley Middle School provides fresh and shelf-stable food items to residents of Glen Cove every Friday from 3-5 p.m.
Staffed by student and teacher volunteers, the pantry goes above and beyond to serve from 10-60 families each week—taking special orders, sending food home with students, and making deliveries for families lacking transportation.
We’re proud to be donating to this amazing program (for the second year in a row!) making such a difference in the lives of our Glen Cove neighbors.
It’s time to boost immunity in whatever ways we can…school is back in session. Last month we recommended three supplements kids could take to boost immunity for the long year ahead. But staying healthy isn’t just for kids! Here are a few of the best ways for us to ward off contagious critters this cold and flu season and beyond. All three can be taken preventatively (silver is best taken at the first inkling of a chink in the immunity armor)…start now for protection you can count on.
- Sovereign Silver Colloidal Silver: Silver has been used for more than 2,000 years to help safeguard human health. A natural element that can be found in whole grains, edible and medicinal mushrooms, mammalian milk, spring water, sea water, and tap water, silver has been considered since ancient times to be an effective antimicrobial. The Sovereign Silver formula contains greater than 98% bio-active silver ions and silver nanoclusters, making it more powerful than other brands.Take 3 times a day for natural immunity support at the first sign of a cold or other virus or when you’re feeling particularly run down.
- Oregon’s Wild Harvest Astragalus: This mild, adaptogenic herb is perfect to take for long-term, deep immune support, and gentle enough for the elderly, kids…even your pets. In Chinese medicine, Astragalus is thought to protect against both mental and physical stresses. For best results, take regularly before cold and flu season hits. Orengon’s Wild Harvest is made right here in the U.S. from organic astragalus.
- Jarrow – Dophilus EPS Probiotics: Did you know some 80% of your immune system can be found in your gut? In the bid to stay healthy, it’s important to balance the good and bad bacteria in your body. Ongoing digestive and immune support can be found in these shelf-stable probiotics by Jarrow, featuring 8 different probiotic strains and 5 billion organisms per serving. Probiotics are safe to take every day, most effectively on an empty stomach; for an extra boost, you can also consume probiotic-rich foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kombucha.
Chaga mushrooms are a fungus that grows on hardwood trees in cold, northern forests, used by Russians and Scandinavians for centuries to treat everything from digestive issues to cancer. We had the opportunity to speak with Plainview-based Chaga Island Tea, to learn more about the health benefits of this magical mushroom elixir and why we should add it to our wellness routine.
RT: What is Chaga Island’s origin story?
CIT: Chaga Island was conceived from a 30-year friendship between Debbie Falborn, R.N. and Bridget Leroy, both native Long Islanders. Many years later when Bridget’s third child was diagnosed with mononucleosis, she discovered her friend Debbie was living in the same town and reached out to her for her advice as a former pediatric nurse. By Bridget’s account, she was shocked to be handed three wood-like pieces of chaga mushroom and told to go home, brew it, and have her son drink the tea. In five days, the illness that was supposed to keep him in bed for 4-6 weeks was gone. His bloodwork was negative for mono.
Soon after that making chaga tea became their mission. Together Debbie and Bridget spent over two years learning and developing the magnificent Chaga Tea we have the good fortune to have available to us. Initially sold at Farmer’s Markets, it went to retail stores around Long Island in 2018. The feedback from consumers was amazing for this great-tasting, organic brewed medicinal tea.
RT: What sets Chaga apart from other healing teas?
CIT: What sets us apart from other chaga products is the process. There are only two ways of receiving the healthy benefits of chug mushrooms, both of which requires breaking down the chitin (the hard, shell-like component of fungi cell walls). Only alcohol extraction or long, slow brewing using water can extract the medicinal properties. Using the water method, the body can better assimilate the mushroom’s benefits.
RT: What role do chaga mushrooms play for those adhering to a holistic lifestyle?
CIT: Chaga mushrooms are considered to be The King of Medicinal Mushrooms. They are antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant . In fact, they have the highest antioxidant value of any other natural substance aside from raw cacao. Chaga tea is one of the highest immunomodulators on the planet. Some of its many nutrients include Vitamin A, Vitamin B-complex, Vitamins C, E and K, iron, calcium, zinc, and fiber.
RT: When/how often should we drink Chaga tea? What do you recommend?
CIT: We suggest to others to do as as we do and enjoy our teas every day for health maintenance. Our teas an be enjoyed both cold and hot.
RT: Anything new at Chaga Tea?
CIT: At Chaga Island Tea, we’re always looking to provide our clients with new combinations of organic flowers and herbs that contribute to well-being. Look for new flavors in the coming year!
RT: For those of us who dream of starting their own local biz, what has it been like to launch/run a successful local business?
CIT: Starting a local successful business can be daunting but a dream that can be realized. There are so many talented passionate creators of food here on Long Island. We at Health By Design, it’s our mission to join with the imaginative creators of food and drink to bring their products to market. As a team of people who care about the integrity of food, snacks, and beverages, we are excited to continue to bring forth delicious healthy gluten free, keto, organic, and kosher foods to Long Island.
Try Chaga Island Teas in Cinnamon and Hibiscus flavors. Other products in the Health By Design collection include Chocorite Keto Blast (a keto meal replacement bar), Splitz (a split pea snack), CloudWater (a CBD sparkling water) & Blossom Water, a flower and fruit beverage.
The best, most nutritious eggs come from free-range, cage-free chickens. That’s why all Organic Valley chickens have access to green, organic pastures, where they spend their days clucking, strutting and pecking at bugs and earthworms. On rainy days, the chickens stay in the coop, but keeping them happy and healthy is still Organic Valley’s highest priority. And possibly the best thing about Organic Valley is that they’re not a giant corporation, but a cooperative made up of over 2,000 family farms (some right here in NY State), all pooling their passion and resources to bring organic food to the tables of people across the country.
OV eggs are tough to crack:
- Each egg contains 6g of organic protein
- Organic Valley eggs contain NO antibiotics, synthetic hormones, toxic pesticides or GMO anything
- Organic Valley goes beyond organic standards to provide extra outdoor space for foraging and exercise, more room for perching indoors, and guaranteed shade outside for the hot summer months
**ON SALE ALL MONTH**$3.99 (Reg $5.99)
We’re almost there; we’ve already had our “false fall” where we got our first glimpse of cooler temps, and as school begins and new routines are implemented, we start to feel the warm, laid-back beauty of summer begin to fade. But it’s not over yet! Summer is officially still summer until September 22. Spend the next few weeks checking off your summer wish list items, while also preparing for a successful transition to fall.
Find a body of water. We are blessed in Long Island to be surrounded by water. Make the most of it! Whether it’s a lake, an ocean, a river, or something else, take the plunge. Go fishing, swimming, hop on a paddle board or into a kayak. Take a boat ride; one of our favorites is the ferry to Fire Island, but a short ride on a Port Washington Water Taxi can do the trick, as well.
Try something new. There’s still time to take a detour from the usual to try something you’ve always meant to. Beach yoga? Learn a second language? Take a day trip to an interesting new town? A cooking class? Whatever strikes your curiosity, lean into it this September.
Visit a farmers market. Take advantage of our proximity to local markets while they last. The produce this time of year is remarkable, and dinner made with late-summer ingredients from the local farmers market is simply unbeatable. Click here for some clean, easy to prepare recipes using some of the season’s shining stars.
Go camping. Few things lend themselves to as many late-summer activities as camping. Hiking…check. Kayaking…..check. Grilling….check. S’mores…check. Stargazing….you guessed it….check. Did you know two of the best campgrounds in NY State are located right here on LI? Or if glamping is more your scene, you can enjoy the outdoors in style, right in NYC.
Start a gratitude practice. And do it now before the days get shorter (and you lose the light earlier). You don’t have to get fancy; just jotting down a few things each day that you’re grateful for can help you have a positive outlook and guard against depression.
Do any of these suggestions resonate with you? If not, that’s ok! Just get outside and do the things you love and you’ll have no regrets once sweater season is upon us.
Kenneth Alvandi spent a quarter century building up a small distribution company into a factory that manufactured some of the feminine products in its distribution portfolio. In 2006, five years into Alvandi’s manufacturing venture, making conventional products for mass market retailers like Walmart, he realized he could be doing something that was more in line with his personal values for healthy and earth-friendly living. He sold his shares in his company and began to develop the Maxim brand: the first pure 100% organic and natural cotton-based feminine hygiene products. His daughter, Rebecca Alvandi Yadegar (Maxim’s Vice President and Chief Flow Rider), joined him in the journey, excited to be part of a change-making movement inspired by menstruation.
RT: How do you describe the Fierce Woman Philosophy the company was founded on?
MHP:The Fierce Woman philosophy was written by my sister who interned for us at the early stages of the brand. This philosophy truly captures the spirit in which my Dad raised his girls and part of the reason he created Maxim to begin with – to empower women to make better and healthier choices.
RT: Why is it important for girls and women to use natural feminine products?
MHP: Our bodies and vaginas in particular have been endowed with the greatest life force in the world – giving birth and providing the space for each human being’s first home. Vaginal tissues are some of the most absorbent tissues found in the body. For this reason, girls and women in particular need to use the cleanest and healthiest products, especially when exposing our powerful baby-making body parts to them.
RT: It seems there are more and more opportunities to purchase natural, bleach-free feminine products. What sets Maxim’s products apart from other products on the market?
MHP: Maxim products have been servicing health-conscious audiences for over 11 years—before it was a trend. Our products are backed by over 35 years of expertise in the category and a father and daughter duo that care about more than just the bottom line. As product pioneers, we’ve grown our business sustainably and privately, as if it was a part of our own family. We try to treat everyone who comes in contact with Maxim like family, as well.
RT: What’s the latest from Maxim? Anything new in the pipeline?
MHP: Yes!!!!!!!! I hope the exclamation points help illustrate how excited I am about the Organic Cotton Baby, Facial and Intimate Wipes we recently launched. I can’t even begin to tell you how long and hard my Dad worked to find and formulate a pure organic cotton towelette-based product that works! Cotton is the most basic standard ingredient we require for all our product lines. Being the first to offer a pure cotton line of Cotton Menstrual Pads, we are proud to have found a way to carry that standard over to the wipes products, too. Most other wipes, even if they contain organic extracts, are made with a synthetic or wood pulp based towelette, which isn’t as gentle on the body or safe for the environment as organic cotton.
RT: As the owner of a company that makes natural personal care products, we’re thinking you must live a healthy lifestyle. So…what are you loving to eat right now? What are your current go-to’s?
MHP: Great question! I’ve been on a really big tarragon, dill, and parsley kick. It’s my new favorite green alternative to the craze over kale. These herbs are a very big part of the Iranian culture (my father’s ethnicity) and are super healthy and tasty. I throw them in and on everything from salads, to fish, to smoothies. I’ve also really gotten in to acupuncture lately, but I think I was late on that trend!
RT: What’s one fun thing most people don’t know about Maxim?
MHP: My Dad and I constantly argue about how to pronounce the brand’s name. I say “Maxum,” he says “Maxeeem”….it definitely confuses people, but at the end of the day he named the baby so he wins.
RT: Maxim is involved in social action projects around menstruation and feminine hygiene. What are the core issues you’re fighting for?
MHP:The social action piece of what we do has been the driving force for me. Whereas my dad is driven and passionate about product development, I was inspired by what this category can and does stand for.
The core issues that drive me are focused around women’s health and empowerment, particularly in making sure women and girls have access not just to menstrual care products, but to healthier ones. A few years ago, I stood at the footsteps of NYC’s city hall, alongside Assemblymember Linda B. Rosenthal and other fierce woman leaders, to rally around the passing of a bill that was the first of its kind in the nation – providing free period products in city homeless shelters, prisons and schools. Not only did this bill pass in 2016 as mandatory for city schools, but two years later Assemblymember Rosenthal was behind another bill that made New York the first state in the country to provide free period products in public school restrooms. Maxim not only supported the passing of these bills; we also made a monumental donation of over 250,000 tampons to reinforce our values with action. The donation helped service over 33,000 women and girls in need via a nonprofit organization that helps distribute menstrual care kits to those who do not have access or can’t afford them.
RT: Can you suggest ways that we can get involved in the menstruation movement?
MHP: This year’s hottest menstrual health related topic is ingredients disclosure. Bill A.164/S.2387, the Period Disclosure Bill, will most likely once again make our home state of New York the first to pass a bill of this kind, which would mandate full ingredient disclosure on the labels of period products sold in New York. At Maxim, we’ve always been transparent about our products’ ingredients because we’ve got nothing to hide. We believe consumers have a right to know what their products are made of so they can be empowered enough to make their own choice. To help get this bill passed, we encourage New Yorker’s reach out to their local representatives with a call or email to express how important the bill is to them. If you don’t know who your representative is, here’s a link to help you find out: https://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/
RT: Rising Tide loves local! What has it been like to start and run a company in Long Island/New York State?
MHP: I’ve traveled a lot in my lifetime and I can say hands down, without any bias, that New York is the best state in the world, mostly because of NYC’s rich cultural diversity and the stunning beaches on Long Island (ok, maybe there’s a little bias in that last part ). Seriously, New York State has an edge and spirit I’ve experienced nowhere else. The history-making wins of the menstrual movement described above are just one small example of that!
RT: So many in this community dream of starting their own business. What’s your best piece of advice for launching a successful local biz?
MHP: Love what you’re dreaming of starting as much as you love yourself and hire people who are smarter than you.
The start of a new school year brings with it many exciting changes, Confinement indoors much of the day also brings with it the inevitable colds, flu and other viruses passed from one well meaning child to the next.
Children are exposed to millions of germs at school, resulting in 8-12 colds per year for children in day care or elementary school. It’s only a matter of time before these germs turn into a day off spent home sick in bed, and possibly spreading the illness to the rest of the family. Days off from school and work cost the US economy nearly $576 billion per year, according to Forbes.
There are ways to prepare for another school year and protect your kids from the germs they will encounter at school. Rather than reaching into the medicine cabinet to treat your child’s symptoms, here are a few ways to boost your child’s immune system and prevent illness.
1. Natural Factors Vitamin C Fruit Chews: Vitamin C is vital to the body’s maintenance of overall health. This easy-to-take chewable formula by Natural Factors—with 500mg of 100% Vitamin C in every chew, plus citrus bioflavonoids, rosehips and rutin for increased absorption—it’s one of our top-sellers. Available in 4 kid-friendly flavors: Blueberry, Raspberry and Boysenberry; Jungle Juice; Four Mixed Fruit Flavors, and Peach, Passionfruit and Mango. $13.99, 30 chewables
2. Probiotic Garden of Life: Like the rest of us, kids need probiotics to build a healthy microbiome and support digestive and immune health. We love the Dr. Formulated Chewable Probiotics from Garden of Life. Designed by David Perlmutter, M.D., an expert in the human microbiome, a board-certified neurologist, Fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and an expert in brain health, this USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified probiotic has no added sugar, contains vitamin C from the organic Amla berry (30mg), vitamin D (400IU), and prebiotic fiber to help maintain healthy immunity. Available in 3 delicious flavors including Berry Cherry, Strawberry Banana and Watermelon. Everyday low price $18.99, 90 chewables
3. Wiley’s Finest Fish Oil: Fish Oil delivers nutrients that support the development of young bodies, including healthy eyes, healthy brain function, and vital immunity. This liquid fish oil for kids is easy to mix into applesauce or mild enough to take right off the spoon. Begninner’s DHA (ages 1+) has 400 mg EPA and 250 mg DHA per serving; Elementary DHA for school-age children (ages 4+) has 1000 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA per serving. Everyday low price $23.99, 4.23 fl oz
You may have noticed, our health and beauty department is undergoing a renaissance. While we’re still carrying the tried and true brands that we know you love, we recently cleared some space for exciting new brands that really speak to our mission and values. Evanhealy is one such brand.
Evan Healy is a holistic aesthetician, a recognized pioneer and skin care expert who has worked in the natural personal care industry for over thirty years. With her eponymous skin care line, the focus is on three ingredients: oil, clay and water, time tested ingredients used by our ancestors to care for and beautify their skin for millennia. Oil-water-clay has always been and always will be the foundation of skin health.
A Beautiful Union
The hydrofoils that make up the backbone of the evanhealy line are gentle remedies that offer many benefits to all skin types, including toning, plumping, balancing pH, and delivering therapeutic compounds from the plant into the skin. A hydrosol is a union of oils and waters; a water-soluble compound from a plant paired with micro amounts of essential oils. Integrating a hydrosol into your daily protocol completely transforms the efficacy of your skin care, elevating it to the next level.
At Rising Tide, we carry a wide range of Evanhealy products, including two different kits that allow you to sample 14 days of their transformative skin care. The Rose Face Care Kit is for combo skin; the Blue Face Kit, for sensitive skin. Each contains five products that will allow you to see the effect they have on your skin. As Evan Healy said in Michael Pollan’s new book Farmacology, “Everyone’s taking about anti-aging. No one talks about beauty anymore.”
Evanhealy has sparked a conversation about natural beauty, and we are beyond thrilled to support that conversation and this new line.
We’re excited to introduce our August Charity of the Month: the Fill-a-Bookbag Drive sponsored by the Glen Cove Youth Bureau. This is the second time we’re supporting this bookbag and school supplies drive, a critical effort for this local nonprofit.
The Fill-a-Bookbag Drive brings individual donors and businesses together to provide needed school supplies to some 300 Glen Cove students who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford them. Making the GCYB our Charity of the Month for August allows us to do our part to make sure lack of school supplies is not a deterrent to academic success for any child in the Glen Cove School District.
***Rising Tide is a collection point for the Fill-a-Bookbag Drive. Simply leave supplies in the box outside the store. Ask cashiers for a complete list of needed items***
In addition to the Fill-a-Bookbag Drive, other GCYB programs intended to close educational and recreational gaps for Glen Cove students include Glen Cove After 3, after-school and summer enrichment opportunities for students grades K-8; and the Drop-in Center, open for homework help and after-school fun for students grades 1-5, and to teens looking to socialize in a safe, drug- and alcohol-free environment in the evenings. The Summer Youth Employment Program teaches 16-18 year olds skills for entering the workforce including how to prepare a resume and cover letter, and how to dress for success, interview for a job, and more.
Thank you for supporting this amazing local charity through our Charity of the Month program…we’re so grateful we can always count on our customers!
Summer’s not over yet! In fact, if you like the sultry heat, we still have some of the best days of the season ahead of us. That being said, if you have children, it’s probably not too soon to start thinking about back to school. The yearly preparation for a new school year can be overwhelming…and anything but good for the environment. This year, take a greener approach to back to school with these simple tips.
1. Aim for a zero waste lunch. School lunch = unnecessary waste. According to Treehugger, the average American school child wastes an estimated 67 pounds in discarded school lunch packaging every school year (that’s 18,760 pounds of waste per elementary school). Start your quest for a more eco-friendly lunch by skipping plastic sandwich and snack bags, and opt instead for reusable or recyclable containers. We love Stashers, reusable silicon storage bags that come in a variety of sizes perfect for your child’s lunchbox (or yours). Next, if your kids like what they’re eating they’ll be less likely to toss it! Give them some buy in; take them shopping and let them pick one or two items each week.
2. Get your kids a reusable water bottle. Stainless steel or glass are the most eco-friendly options (and you won’t have to worry about toxins from a plastic bottle seeping into their water). Some schools have water filling stations where kids can refill their bottle throughout the day; encourage them to “refuel” and stay hydrated. Our stainless steel HydroFlasks and glass Life Factory bottles both work well for this purpose.
3. Inventory your supplies before you shop. This will help you avoid repurchasing items you already have. Make a list of what you really need and stick to it. If you find you have too much of something, donate it! In fact, you can bring your extras right to Rising Tide; we are currently a drop-off point for the Glen Cove Youth Bureau’s Fill-a-Bookbag drive, and they are our Charity of the Month for August.
4. Purchase consciously. When you do buy school supplies, look for those with minimal packaging and/or made from recycled or sustainable materials. Your child will still have everything they need to succeed, but in a planet-friendly way. For example, some Post-its are made with 67% recycled materials, Tree Smart makes recycled pencils and pens, and Oxford Earthwise makes pocket folders from 100% recycled paper.
5. Keep germs at bay with a nontoxic hand sanitizer. To avoid spreading the common cold and other viruses, regular hand cleaning is a must in schools; however, it doesn’t always happen as often as it should. Sending your child with a green hand sanitizer such as the sprays and gels from EO and Dr. Bronner, and the hand sanitizing wipes from CleanWell can make it a healthier year for all. In fact, send in a few: one to keep in the desk, one in the backpack, and one in the lunchbox.
One last tip: schedule some time outdoors even after school starts. We know there will be homework and other activities, but time in the fresh air is good for a child’s focus, mood, and overall health. Plus, studies show that a child who learns to love nature as a child is more likely to become a steward of the Earth as an adult. SO…go outside!
It’s July, and Rising Tide is Celebrating Shopping Local!
It’s Independent Retailer Month, the perfect time for us to say what it means to us to be an independent business, planting roots in this community for 43 years. We love being your independent health food store! When Jerry first opened our current location, it was only made possible by small but vital investments from some of his then customers (many of whom are still customers today!). Now, more than four decades later, Rising Tide is still guided by the evolving needs of the health conscious in this community in an invaluable give-and-take of wellness and product knowledge. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.
One of the best parts of being an independent retailer like Rising Tide is our ability to feature and promote other local businesses that share our values. We’ve been doing this for years in our monthly newsletters under the heading “Local Flavor”. Sometimes we shine a spotlight on a hyper-local business, like Moxie Cream or Steiner’s Coffee Cake, both out of Sea Cliff. Sometimes we cast the net a bit wider to feature truly special businesses elsewhere on Long island (this month’s feature on the triple fermented sourdough bread from Montauk’s Night Owl Baker is one such biz), or further afield in the Tri-state area or Upstate New York (Gilbertie’s Herbs out of Westport, Connecticut comes to mind, as does the Piggery Farm & Butcher in Ithaca, New York). It gives us great pleasure to introduce our customers to the local companies we love the most, with the hopes of helping those businesses to thrive in a world of Big Food and big box stores. As a small business ourselves, this is a role we are more than happy to play.
Our Co-Op Helps Us Help You
Being small doesn’t mean being alone…in 2009 we joined the Independent Natural Food Retailers Association (INFRA), a cooperative comprised of 240 likeminded members in 380 locations around the country. This relationship has literally transformed our business, allowing us to provide independent service and values with big store pricing. We are thrilled to be able to pass on all the benefits of being an INFRA member to our customers, who make everything possible.
Lastly, being a local business in this community allows us to be part of a growing number of small businesses like us, servicing the one-of-a-kind residents of Long Island’s North Shore. We are beyond happy to support (and be supported by) wonderful small businesses like Heritage Bakers, ClayNation, Gritty Buddha, Royal Native, and Strong Island Styles Barber Shop (to name just a few!), all located within minutes of Rising Tide.
Our communities—and our lives—are made richer by value-driven small businesses. Support them by thinking, acting, and shopping locally this July!
At Rising Tide, we’re ever on the lookout for the best products in every category; those that will bring joy and health to your lives, while doing no harm to the planet. This month we’re excited to introduce you to three clean, new additions to our soap lineup. Sudsy, safe and sustainable, each has it’s own unique spin.
1. Kirk’s Odor Neutralizing Hydrating Hand Wash. American-made and family owned since 1839, Kirk’s soaps are super clean, made with a coconut oil base and scented with just essential oils. The best part: if you are sensitive to scents, there is a wonderful fragrance-free option.
2. Another old-timer, Grandpa Bar Soap originated in 1878 and has been family owned and operated since 1936. The Charcoal soap—made from steam-activated charcoal and organic hemp and mint oils—works to draw out the dirt and toxins that clog congested pores, and restores clarity to oily and combination skin. The Epsom Salt soap teams the detoxifying power of epsom salt with odor neutralizing baking soda to deep clean the grimiest of grimes. All Grandpa’s products are guaranteed free of phthalates, sulfates, EDTA, artificial fragrances or colorants, and animal by-products.
3. Dr. Bronner’s 4-in-1 Sugar Pump Soaps. Looking for moisture? Look no further than Dr. Bronner’s Organic pump soaps (Dr. Bronner’s has long been one of our favorite brands, due to its uber clean products and commitment to the environment). Fair trade, organic sugar gives these soaps a rich caramel color and sweet scent, and along with white grape juice, helps keep skin nourished, hydrated and smooth, Organic coconut, olive and hemp oils blend for a creamy castile lather. And since this is a 4-in-1 product, you can use the sugar pump soaps to safely clean hands, face, body and hair.
At the farmers markets in Santa Monica, CA and Union Square, NY, SoCal native Tracy Stoloff discovered a healthier, more nutritious and creative approach to nourishing and feeding her family. It was here that she discovered naturally fermented, wild yeasted bread. Not only did she love the flavor and texture, this fermented sourdough became the vehicle for improving her gut health.
After re-locating to Montauk, she began her journey as a baker, committed to making bread the way it was made centuries ago, with three pure ingredients and lots of time and love. With plenty of trial and error, she created a bread that met her standards for taste and optimum health. Her bread had become a staple of her family’s diet, and she wanted to share it. Today she offers Night Owl True Sourdough throughout the Hamptons and Long Island, in Manhattan, and available to ship nationwide.
RT: What’s the origin of your name?
NOB: The process of feeding my leavens and fermenting the dough takes days, literally, so I decided to call it Night Owl and see how it would do at the local farmer’s markets. The response has been amazing, especially among professionals in the wellness community who appreciate the health benefits, and of course the wildly delicious taste.
RT: What is Night Owl’s mission/philosophy?
NOB: I am dedicated to offering a truly triple fermented true sourdough product. I am committed to the 86-hr fermentation in an effort to obtain a natural wheat bread with the most degraded, hydrolyzed gluten content. This means that the human gut can easily digest the trace gluten that remains. I am committed to this slow ferment, slow-rise bake that never relies on instant baker’s yeast.
RT: Who are the people behind Night Owl?
NOB: It’s a family affair. Mainly me , support from my partner in Night Owl and life, commercial Fisherman Chris Winkler, and my daughter Ella Stoloff. I am at the point where I need a full-time employee.
RT: What sets Night Owl products apart from other breads on the market?
NOB: All the flours used are triple fermented. We never use raw flour for anti-stick, kneading etc. There are no traces of “green”, “fresh” flour, ever.
RT: What’s the latest from Night Owl Baker? Anything new and exciting in the pipeline?
NOB: We are currently test-baking a line of fermented sourdough super thin crackers, and charcoal crackers made from the same dough—triple fermented, no raw flour.
RT: How would you describe the role sourdough plays for those pursuing a clean, healthy lifestyle?
NOB: True sourdough bread provides optimum, natural gut health via the naturally produced lactobacillus.
RT: When you’re not noshing on delicious sourdough bread… what are you loving to eat right now? What are your go-to’s?
NOB: We live off fresh bread, fresh fish, good cheese, whatever is in season at the East End farms. We’re eating radishes with everything right now. Fresh pesto is the highlight of summer treats.
RT: What’s your favorite recipe to make using your bread?
NOB: I really enjoy some Night Owl toasted thin, a little olive oil, hummus, thin slice of tomato. Avocado toast happens at least once a day. I love the bread with meat and cheese. Many of my customers enjoy sharing with me how they like the bread and I get a lot of great ideas from them.
RT: Rising Tide loves local! What has it been like to start and run a company in Long Island?
NOB: Pretty challenging. Space is at an absolute premium in the Hamptons. I was lucky enough to team up with Holly Gosman of Gosman’s Retail Gourmet market a few years ago. We cooked and prepared the foods for the market together and she has allowed me to use her ovens year around.
RT: What is something FUN most people don’t know about Night Owl Baker?
NOB: Prior to my bread obsession, I worked as an interior decorator. I had a vintage, homewares boutique back home in Topanga, CA.
RT: So many in this community dream of starting their own business. What’s your best piece of advice for launching a successful local biz?
NOB: Slow and steady, and have a back-up plan and a deep affection and belief in your product. Passion is a requisite.
Find Night Owl True Sourdough bread in the freezer section at Rising Tide.
Alden’s Organic Ice Cream is sensational, standing head and shoulders above other ice creams. And more importantly…it is so very clean, made at their own facility in Orgeon with only ingredients your grandmother would recognize. Plus it’s organic, so there are no GMOs, and no antibiotics or growth hormones (rBST).
Alden’s Round Ice Cream Sammies virtually scream SUMMER. Rich and creamy with a soft but firm cookie and a full inch of organic ice cream, this ice cream sandwich simply outdoes itself.
Try all three flavors:
- Vanilla (made with real organic vanilla)
- Chocolate Chip (made with real organic cocoa)
- Strawberry (made with real organic strawberries)
****ON SALE all month at Rising Tide!****
We are excited to announce our July Charity of the Month: Girls Rising.
This nonprofit organization was created by the Sea Cliff-based all-female rock band, Antigone Rising, to empower and inspire girls and LGBTQ kids to pursue careers in STEAM fields.
Girls Rising uplifts kids and build self-esteem by sharing personal stories at outreach workshops and live performances. Included at their workshops are inspirational special guests from other STEAM fields to create a panel of diversity. Girls Rising awards grants and scholarships to students in underserved school districts, and provides kids with opportunities through their Girls Rising Music Festival (the 2019 festival took place just two weeks ago in Glen Cove’s own Morgan Park).
We agree with Girls Rising: girls and LGBTQ youth need to see strong role models they can emulate and identify with in positions of leadership. Girls Rising’s outreach workshops aim to do just that by bringing successful women and queer people of all ethnic backgrounds to their attention.
Thank you for supporting Girls Rising!
We are so excited to announce our June Charity of the Month: The Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club. We’ve chosen to support this organization multiple times because we have so much respect for their commitment to the children in this community.
The Club serves nearly 600 youth (ages 6 -18) annually in the Glen Cove community with after-school programs in education, sports, recreation, dance, technology and art—all designed to enrich and enhance learning and build self-esteem. And in a few weeks when school’s out, the Club will be providing a fun, affordable summer program with creative and imaginative activities designed to keep kids interested in learning while having fun with their friends.
Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club’s mission: To provide a safe and caring environment that will inspire and enable all young people to realize their full potential as productive and responsible citizens.
Rising Tide is proud to support this mission and this wonderful local organization.
Hemp History Week is June 3-9! Join us in the 10th celebration of hemp (this year’s theme: The Return of the Plant!) and celebrate its many uses. Did you know…hemp is more than just a healthy whole food source of plant-based protein? It’s also a growing U.S. industry with more than 78,00 acres farmed in 2018. Were you aware that hemp is an environmentally sustainable solution for thousands of non-toxic products ranging from car parts and building materials to paper products, textiles, plastics and even ethanol? Hemp also sequesters carbon from the atmosphere and puts it right back into the soil, healing distressed farmlands when other regenerative agricultural practices are used.
Hemp and Your Health
The more you learn about hemp, the more you’ll want it in your life. Boost nutrition with hemp, which contains all 9 essential fatty acids, Omega-3 and 6, plus a host of vitamins and minerals. Hemp adds a rich and slightly nutty flavor to any dish; enjoy sprinkled on avocado toast, add hemp seed oil to your favorite salad dressing, blend hemp hearts in a smoothie, yogurt or cereal, or mix into cookie dough or granola. You can also pamper yourself with moisturizing hemp body care, or relax with CBD products derived from hemp. (Click here for a rundown of our carefully vetted CBD offerings here in the store.)
As lawmakers, farmers, and families embrace how hemp can support a healthy future for people, planet and our economy, the laws surrounding U.S. cultivation are currently being rewritten. The recent passage of the 2018 Farm Bill with the Hemp Farming Amendment has removed hemp from the Controlled Substances Act, legalizing hemp farming in the U.S. During Hemp Week, we join together in victory across the country as we celebrate the Return of the Plant! and embark on a new era of hemp cultivation in American soil.
Learn more about hemp at HempHistoryWeek.com.
Mateen Pouyafar and his mother, Bita, launched Superseed Snacks to offer a healthy alternative to existing snacks and bring attention back to seeds, the root of all food. By focusing on seeds, they want us to remember where our food comes from, and that so much of it starts with the humble seed! We are so happy to have these uber-healthy snack bars at Rising Tide, and to learn from Mateen how they came to be.
RT: What is the Superseed Snacks mission?
SS: We make seed-based foods with raw ingredients. We believe the less processed our food is, the healthier it is for us. We also believe in transparency. What you see written on the front wrapper is backed up by basic ingredients and nothing more. In addition to providing health-conscious consumers with a nutritious, delicious snack bar, we want to bring back the tradition of seed saving and encourage people to grow anything!
RT: What sets Superseed Snacks products apart from other bars on the market?
SS: Oh, so much! We insist on a process that only includes raw and organic ingredients. Also, I’m really proud of the fact that we mostly use hemp seeds in our products and are allergen friendly. Our maple syrup comes from a family farm in Upstate NY. And most importantly, Superseed Snacks taste really good!
RT: What’s the latest from Superseed Snacks? Anything new and exciting in the pipeline?
SS: Yes, so much. We are in the process of rebranding and changing our name to ‘Seedly’. Also, look out for seed butter, seed yogurt, and seed milk coming soon.
RT: How would you describe the role hemp plays for those pursuing a clean, healthy lifestyle?
SS: I think hemp embodies clean and healthy in every way. Hemp seeds are a nutritional powerhouse. It’s the most complete source of plant protein available and is filled with essential amino acids like omega 3 and 6. It’s also important to understand where our food comes from when we talk about clean and healthy. Hemp is a plant that can be grown and harvested locally almost anywhere in the world and helps regenerate the soil. Hemp as a whole plant has many other uses, too, including textiles, building materials, and medicine.
RT: How has the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill affected your ability to do business?
SS: It’s definitely opened up many opportunities which most businesses take for granted…things like opening bank accounts and contracting local farmers. It’s also helping change the stigma around hemp.
RT: When you’re not noshing on organic hemp seed bars… what are you loving to eat right now?
SS: This might sound basic, but fruits and vegetables are my go-to. I love waking up in the morning and having fruit for breakfast. Rice bowls are fun, too. You can use any grains and top with cooked or raw veggies and seeds with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon. I love making homemade bread/pizza too. Back to the basics!
RT: What’s your favorite recipe using the Superseed Crumble?
SS: Classic go-to would be on top of yogurt or ice cream. It’s like having dessert as a meal and not feeling guilty about it! One morning recently I was making oatmeal and thought I’d see what would happen if I added some [Superseed] crumble. I threw in like half a bag of ginger chai and it was so amazing. I was very happy.
RT: What is one FUN thing most people don’t know about Superseed Snacks?
SS: All our products are made by hand with love in our dedicated seed kitchen. And we’re always blasting music while we work. Everyone touching our bars is basking in high vibrations of Love & Joy. It’s our company policy.
RT: Rising Tide loves local. What has it been like to start and run a company in New York State?
SS: It’s a great place to start a business because the community is so large. There are so many food startups right now and everyone has been friendly. Also, having Manhattan in your backyard is great. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.
RT: So many in this community dream of starting their own business. What’s your best piece of advice for launching a successful local biz?
SS: I’ll refer back to what my grandfather told me. Start slow and steady. Invest as little money as possible and as much time as possible. Let the people you serve dictate your growth.
If you’re like most of us, you’ve been hearing a great deal lately from friends, family and the news about Cannabidiol, or CBD. Might CBD be for you? If you’re a science person, you may have noticed that much of the research being done on the benefits of CBD has been done overseas. Until now, that is. The passage of the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp farming here in the U.S., and ushered in a new era for CBD. Today, the sky’s the limit for research and potential uses for CBD, and we are beyond excited to see what this next stage will mean for natural health advocates and consumers alike.
Click here and here for additional background information on CBD and its potential uses.
One point that cannot be disputed…CBD is HOT! Products claiming to contain CBD oil are everywhere you look, even your local gas station. How can you know if you’re actually getting what they are purporting to sell? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved CBD products–leaving them largely unregulated–and companies that manufacture and sell CBD products have a great deal of liberty as to what they can put on (and leave off) their labels. As a result, many products either contain far less CBD than the label states, can contain myriad fillers, or aren’t CBD-infused at all.
Put Your Trust in Us
As a community leader in health and wellness, Rising Tide is committed to offering only agricultural hemp-derived CBD items from highly reputable companies, carefully vetted by our wellness and grocery experts with input from other independent natural food retailers in our INFRA co-op.
Here, you can experience CBD in various ways. First, we have CBD supplements, including those from CV Sciences, a nationally recognized pioneer in CBD supplements. Other CBD brands we carry include Green Gorilla, made from certified organic hemp; Medterra, and Upstate Elevator. (Check out these sites for dozens upon dozens of consumer reviews praising the positive effects of CBD.) Unlike products you’d find in a vape shop, all our CBD is 100% transparent, traceable from seed to shelf. In addition, every product you’ll find here makes available to consumers COAs (Certificates of Analysis) that indicate precisely what’s in their products.
In addition to the supplements, we carry CBD beverages, organic CBD kombucha, and organic chocolates made with CBD. Lastly, in our Health & Beauty department, we have soothing bath bombs and lotions made with CBD and essential oils.
Speak with our knowledgeable Wellness staff; they will share what they know about CBD, and how it’s helped so many of our customers. This is a great time to see what CBD can do for you. **Our entire line of CV Sciences products is ON SALE throughout June.**
Note: As with any other holistic approach, it can take time to see results with CBD preparations. While some will have instant results, for others it will take time to establish a baseline and see significant changes.
You are what you eat…even when it comes to your sunscreen. Try as you might to avoid it, it’s still possible to ingest sunscreen from your lips, or inhale toxic ingredients in sunscreen sprays. That’s why the Environmental Working Group (EWG) suggests avoiding sunscreens with ingredients that can harm our lungs or other organs. Both active and inactive ingredients in chemical sunscreens have been shown to cause myriad health issues in users, including hormone disruption and low birth weight. Broad-spectrum mineral sunscreens using either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide are currently the only ones considered safe by the FDA, who declared in February that chemical sunscreens will need more testing to determine safety.
Check out three of our favorite (reef-safe) mineral sunscreens for Summer 2019:
1. All Good: With certified organic ingredients (tested in their own “herbal test garden”), the highest quality medicinal herbs, and a strong commitment to reef-friendly products, All Good is as good as it gets. In addition to the causes its uplifts through the 1% for the Planet program, All Good maintains an Activist Athlete program reserved for top athletes who excel not only in an outdoor sport, but also in fighting for environmental and social causes. Protect yourself: We carry All Good Sunscreen Butter SPF 50, Sport Spray SPF, Kids Spray SPF30, and Sunscreen SPF 30, all with 80 minutes of water resistance.
2. Think Sport: Founded by a biochemist with a passion for health and preventative medicine, Think Sport sets itself apart by working with leading scientists to create safe, clean sun care alternatives, effective enough for even the most extreme athletes. Driven by a desire to educate the public about the dangers of too much skin exposure and the harmful chemicals in many sun care products, Think Sport is a founding member of the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Sun Safety Campaign and a member of the Safe Sunscreen Council. Products apply and absorb easily, with no oily feel. Protect yourself: We carry Think Good Baby, Kids and Adult formulas, all in SPF 50, with 80 minutes of water resistance.
3. MyChelle: One of the first cosmetic manufacturers to reject ingredients that are toxic to marine life, MyChelle’s Sun Care products are clean, safe, effective, and natural. In addition to broad-spectrum protection by way of a mineral base (zinc oxide or titanium oxide), MyChelle adds antioxidants to shield from infrared radiation and slow the creation of wrinkles; perhaps this is why it is recommended by dermatologists. MyChelle is a founding member of EWG Verified, the program that lets you easily identify the products that meet EWG’s criteria for transparency and health; look for the EWG Verified mark. Protect yourself: We carry Michelle Sun Shield Spray SPF 50, Solar Defense Body Lotion SPF 50, Sun Shield Unscented SPF 28, Liquid (Non-tinted or Nude) SPF 50, and Sun Shield Clear Stick SPF 50.
Moms-to-be have choices to make when it comes to treating various conditions—major and minor—that afflict them during those precious 40 weeks. According to Aviva Romm, well-known midwife, medical doctor, and herbalist, approximately 45% of women use some type of herbal remedy during their pregnancy. But even herbal remedies aren’t without their potential drawbacks; be sure to get your herbal 411 from a trusted source with an in-depth knowledge of herbs and pregnancy.
1. Stress relief/Sleep: Boiron Sedalia temporarily relieves nervousness, hypersensitivity, irritability and fatigue due to stress. Wishgarden Herbs Stress Relief contains a gentle combo of herbs to nourish and refresh your nervous system and help you put stress in perspective.
2. Morning sickness: Calm-a-Tum by Wishgarden Herbs is a tincture containing a carefully selected blend of traditional southwestern herbs (peach leaf, peppermint leaf and wild yam root) to relieve normal nausea associated with pregnancy. If you’d rather sip some tea, try soothing Traditional Medicinals Ginger with Chamomile whenever you’re feeling queasy. And if its your prenatal vitamins that are the culprits, Garden of Life Raw Prenatal is a capsule featuring a tummy-soothing combo of organic ginger root and probiotics.
3. Cold & Allergy: Wishgarden Herbs Kick-It Allergy is a unique combination of herbs designed to support healthy immune response, and to assist lymph, eyes, nose and throat naturally.
Bonus: Once the baby is born, many women look for ways to enhance the quality and volume of their breast milk to keep baby satiated and well-nourished. When It comes to post-partum milk production we recommend both Gaia Lactation Support and Wishgarden Herbs Milk Rich; both use age-old breastfeeding herbs including raspberry leaf, fennel seed, fenugreek seed and goat’s rue (Milk Rich only) to promote healthy and ample breast milk.
As more and more consumers explore natural ways to thrive, one ingredient has separated from the pack as a true “it” supplement: collagen. According to recent data, sales of collagen exploded in 2018, with more than $94 million in the U.S. supplements market and almost $7 million in the food and beverage market.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, our digestive system, and our tendons. As we age, collagen production in our body declines (think: wrinkles, joint pains and other pesky byproducts of getting older). Taking a collagen supplement has been shown to strengthen nails, hair and teeth, improve the health and appearance of skin, reduce joint pain, help heal leaky gut, boost metabolism, and more.
Ready to boost your body’s available supply of collagen? Incorporate gut-friendly Vital Proteins Collagen products into your daily routine.
*Vital Proteins Collagen products ON SALE thru May, $22.99-$34.99**
- Collagen Peptides: Toss into hot or cold liquids (coffee, or a smoothie) or use in baked goods.
- Collagen Creamer: Rich in energy-boosting MCTs, a type of healthy fat found in organic coconut milk. Whole 30-approved, these versatile creamers contain no artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, dairy, or gluten, and are great in teas, baked goods, and desserts.
- Beauty Collagen: Hyaluronic acid plus the essence of organic fruits helps bring the glow back to your skin while strengthening brittle hair and nails.
The Coalition to Save Hempstead Harbor (CSHH) is a volunteer, nonprofit organization, founded in 1986. CSHH is dedicated to identifying and eliminating environmental threats to Hempstead Harbor and surrounding communities. Our objective is to advance the public interest in protecting and restoring our local environment to its full ecological and economic potential. Currently, CSHH has been involved in a year-long Habitat Restoration project in Glenwood Landing and also organizes several “cleanups” throughout the year. Most recently, CSHH sponsored an Earth Day press conference and rally to oppose offshore seismic blasting and oil and gas drilling.
The fundamental force behind CSHH’s efforts is the belief that concerned and informed citizens can make a difference in events that shape the future. They seek to increase awareness of environmental issues and promote greater appreciation of the local environment. Most importantly, the public is encouraged to participate in local conservation issues.
As with most holidays in the U.S., the original meaning tends to fade, replaced by a more modern interpretation. Mother’s Day is no different. In the years before the Civil War, Ann Reeves Jarvis started “Mother’s Day Work Clubs” to teach women how to care for their children. Following Ann’s death in 1905, her daughter, Anna Jarvis, conceived of “Mother’s Day” to honor the myriad sacrifices mothers made for their children. She wanted it to be an intimate day of celebration between mothers and families; she envisioned children wearing white carnations and visiting their mothers or going to church with them in honor of the special day.
Anna successfully campaigned to make Mother’s Day a national holiday but once she saw the commercialization of the holiday, she grew to regret it. She later spent much of her time and resources actively lobbying the government to get it removed from the U.S. calendar.
Quite a sordid past for what should be a lovely holiday! Let’s take Mother’s Day back, making it a day to share with the moms in your life in the way that will mean the most to them. Check out these options, something for every kind of mom:
1. Be of service. What can you do to help? Clean for mom, or help her with some techy project she can’t get a handle on—or hire a professional to do either one. Fix something that needs mending, or bring along a handyman to do the job. Wash and fold her laundry. Cook her a meal, or better yet, come stocked with multiple meals that she can freeze and parse out over time.
2. Quality time with mom. Schedule brunch or High Tea with mom. Take a walk in a beautiful place, or enjoy a little pampering together at a local spa. Visit the Nassau County Museum of Art, home to indoor art exhibits and interesting outdoor installations.
3. Alone time. Maybe Mom would love a little time to herself to do whatever it is she likes to do best. Let her off the hook for the traditional Mother’s Day meal, and let her do her thing. Spend the time without her to tackle a project she doesn’t have time to get to, shop for a little something you know she’ll love, create a piece of art in her honor, or make a simple but thoughtful dinner for her return.
4. Plant a garden. Due to the good weather and generally warm temps, Mother’s Day is the unofficial start of planting season. Take mom to pick out some veggie, fruit or flower seeds, then break ground on her 2019 garden. In addition to the beautiful organic plants from Long Island’s own Marion Gardens, Rising Tide also carries dozens of organic seeds from High Mowing Seeds, including handy collections of seeds like “Summer of Sunflowers”, a “Bee’s Garden”, “Three Sisters”, “Easy Salad Greens”, and “Kid’s Garden” (a fun collection of “easy to succeed” seeds!). If a full-scale garden is too ambitious, purchase a beautiful pot and help her plant some lavender, rosemary, mint or other herbs she can use all summer long.
5. Eat (or drink) outdoors. Nothing cues the shift in seasons like a picnic. Head to the beach, or the park, or lay out a blanket in your backyard. Source some healthy, delicious salads and sandwiches from Rising Tide or another favorite spot. Or how about a sunset cocktail on the water? This area offers many opportunities for sipping something tasty alfresco. Take it one step further and take a bottle of rosé in a water taxi for a cruise around Hempstead Harbor.
6. Buy a green gift. You want Mom to be healthy and to make choices that lead to a long, happy life; this year, choose a gift that reflects that desire. We’ve got something for every kind of mama.
- HydroFlasks: Hydration is so important, especially as we head into summer. We’ve got stainless steel HydroFlask water/coffee bottles in all shapes and sizes, and in beautiful spring colors.
- Women’s Supplements: No matter what Mom’s age, there are hormones to contend with; Womensense supplements are there for every stage of a woman’s life, and can help her through things like adrenal fatigue, menopause, thyroid issues, and balancing estrogen.
- Organic & Fair Trade Sweets: If she’s going to indulge on Mother’s Day, it might has well be with the good stuff! (Plus…so many studies lately point to the merits of having dark chocolate in your life. If chocolate equals health, we are ON BOARD.) Choose from an array of healthier alternatives, including Chocolove Chocolate Bars, Bark Thins snacking chocolate, Skinny Dipped Almonds, Alter Eco Chocolates and Dark-Chocolate Covered nuts & fruits from Tierra Farm.
- Mama Care: We’ve got all kinds of clean, toxin- and cruelty-free goodies to make Mama feel good and look her best. (Check out the Mother’s Day display at the front of the store..there is something for every mom!) Among our favorites are the CBD Bath Bombs by CBD Living. Aromatic and healing and made with 60mg of nano-CBD, these make bath time oh so special. Available in Lavender, Eucalyptus, and Coconut Lime. And for clean facial care for mom, there’s the Sweet Treats git set from one of our favorite natural skin care co.’s, MyChelle Dermaceuticals. This lovely little gift set contains the Refining Sugar Cleanser and the Lip Hints™ Conditioning Lip Balm.
7. Give the Gift of Charity. You and Mom will both feel good when you donate to a great cause in her name. The International Rescue Committee offers many ways to do this, including helping to pay for health pregnancies for woman in Kenya ($52); funding emergency food for malnourished children in places like Nigeria and Yemen ($68 gives three meals each to 50 children), and providing a year of school for children in crisis in war-torn countries like Syria ($58). If there is a local nonprofit that means a great deal to your mom, make your donation there instead.
Of course this is just a quick guide; only you know your favorite moms and what would mean the most to them on Mother’s Day. Reflect on this, and it will be a holiday to remember for all!
If you’re into natural deodorant (no aluminum, please!), you need to check out Moxie Cream. Started right in Sea Cliff, Francesca and Ned work hard to make sure you have a pure, clean deodorant cream that keeps you smelling fresh throughout your busy day.
RT: What was the impetus for creating Moxie Cream?
MC: I’m a professional dancer and live a very active lifestyle. For years I couldn’t find a natural deodorant that worked for me. I was concerned about the consequences of chemicals on breast and overall health and was frustrated that I was resorting to using a traditional men’s deodorant to accomplish what I needed. After a long and unsuccessful search for something clean but strong, I decided to make my own.
RT: What is the company’s philosophy?
MC: We believe that people shouldn’t be afraid to sweat and that sweaty doesn’t mean smelly. We believe in being active and trying to use the most natural options with the fewest ingredients whenever possible. But most of all, we believe that choosing a natural option shouldn’t mean settling for a less effective product.
RT: Who are the people behind Moxie Cream?
MC: The original formula for Moxie Cream was created by me, Francesca Carillo-Vaccino, a professional dancer, choreographer, and teaching artist. After a couple of years of giving it to family and friends and selling it to other dancers, my now fiancé Ned Brennan encouraged me to form my own company. Together in 2016 we started Moxie Cream.
RT: Why should we be using a natural deodorant?
MC: Traditional deodorants and antiperspirants are loaded with potentially harmful chemicals, one of the most concerning being aluminum. This area of our body is particularly sensitive and is close to many of our lymph nodes. If there is a way to reduce the amount of chemicals that we expose ourselves to and not have to sacrifice effectiveness, it seems like an easy product to switch when trying to live a cleaner lifestyle.
RT: What sets your products apart from other natural deodorants on the market?
MC: Moxie was created with people who move for a living in mind, which means it’s strong enough to last when really put to the test. We’ve worked hard to make a cream that feels good on the skin, not rough to the touch. We want to make sure every aspect of the experience around Moxie is a good one. Again, no sacrifices for natural products!
RT: What’s the latest from Moxie Cream? Anything new in the pipeline?
MC: We’re currently working on two new formulas, a baking soda-free version and an unscented version. There has been a ton of demand centered around these two options and we’re getting close to being able to offer them. We’re also working on a body cream and a dry shampoo, both of which will hopefully be launched by this fall.
RT: As the owner of a company that makes natural personal care products, we assume you practice a healthy lifestyle. Along those lines…What are you loving to eat right now? What are your go-to’s?
MC: Right now I’ve been really into amping up my smoothies, which I make every morning, by incorporating a Ph green powder mix and chaga mushrooms. I’m also loving the infrared sauna which I try to do 2-3 times per week. And for something sweet, I’m into oat milk cappuccinos and the little treats made by Pleasant Petites.
RT: What’s one fun thing most people don’t know about Moxie Cream?
MC: Early on when we were first trying to build up some momentum around the business, we came out with a special scent for the holiday season. It was called Mint Everest; the label had a candy cane swirl and it smelled like a peppermint patty. The only problem was that the peppermint oil was so strong that it tingled when you put it on your pits. Some people loved it and others…not so much. We decided to discontinue it after the first season. But we might bring it back, because we both love it and we still get requests from customers who used it.
Also, if your shoes ever get too smelly you can use Moxie to defunkify them.
RT: Rising Tide loves local! What has it been like to start and run a company in Long Island/New York State?
MC: It has been really great. We are so fortunate to have such a large community of health- focused people who live in the area. Not to mention the support of businesses like Rising Tide that help us reach all those people. I should also mention that Rising Tide was the first market to buy from us, and we couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity and trust!
RT: So many in this community dream of starting their own business. What’s your best piece of advice for launching a successful local biz?
MC: Do it. You can always come up with excuses not to try something, especially something as hard as starting a small business. But once you take that first step, everything becomes more clear. There will be problems that pop up that you don’t now how to fix, but you’ll figure them out and come out the other side proud of yourself and happy that you chose to make the leap!
Color your Easter the natural way with Easter egg dyes made from herbs and plant colors. This fun kit from ColorKitchen comes with three colors (yellow/orange, purple, and blue) made from cabbage, radish and annatto extract; use to make an endless rainbow of color combos. BONUS: the box makes an egg drying tray. Kit includes a mixing brush and enough dye to make 1-2 dozen Easter eggs.
This kit is Earth-friendly in every way:
* Naturally sourced
* Artificial dye free
* Plant colors
Stumped for creative egg designs? Click here for inspiration.
You may not have felt it yet…but it’s coming. Allergy season is nearly upon us, and according to the folks at Patch.com, it’s set to be a particularly intense one for New Yorkers. (Excess moisture has given the grass and trees lots of fuel to create the dreaded pollen…lucky us!)
Are you or someone you love a seasonal allergy sufferer? If you get hold of these natural allergy fighters now, you may be able to head the spring pollen peril off at the pass…naturally, with no groggy/foggy feeling or other side effects.
1. Oregon’s Wild Harvest’s Aller-Aid with Quercetin. For more manageable allergies in springtime, this verified non-GMO herbal formula contains freeze-dried nettle and quercetin to support the body’s normal histamine-producing response, and N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) to break down mucous and increase antioxidant activity.
2. Kick-Ass Allergy from Wishgarden. This potent blend of traditional Southwestern herbs (Yerba Santa leaf, Echinacea, Nettle, Orange Peel) supports a healthy respiratory system and helps bring allergy sufferers back into balance. We love the Wishgarden line, family-owned and women-run, making small-batch artisanal products with only the cleanest ingredients.
3. Y.S. Bee Pollen. High in protein, antioxidants and vitamins, bee pollen is one of nature’s perfect superfoods. Great for both seasonal allergies and energy, you can find the Y.S. Bee Pollen granules in our refrigerated case (with the probiotics).
BONUS: If you can do only one thing to prevent allergies, Rebekah from the RT Wellness Department recommends getting a daily dose pf nettles tea; Traditional Medicinals makes one she really likes. In addition to curtailing seasonal allergies, nettles have been used for thousands of years to support joint health and promote whole body wellness. Happy Spring!
Note: As always, we recommend consulting with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement program.
To know steel cut oats is to love them. Such is the philosophy behind Cold Spring Harbor-based Ally’s Oats, the company offering the newest, healthiest, grab-and-go snack at Rising Tide. Available in five yummy flavors (the most popular? Peanut Butter Honey, of course!), Ally’s Oats are perfect for pre- or post-workout, school snack or lunch, a quick on-the-go meal—virtually any time you need a convenient, wholesome bite with zero guilt attached. We spoke with Alison McShea, Ally’s founder, about her family legacy of steel cut oats, and why she’s so excited to share them with everyone at Rising Tide.
RT: What is the origin of Ally’s Oats?
AO: I grew up in Rockville Center in a family of 9. Back then, steel cut oats was a way for my mother to make sure we all had a hearty, healthy meal to sustain us throughout our school day. My grandmother was from Galway, Ireland and fed her family the same oats.
Now I am a single mom raising four children of my own. When I went back to work full-time, my daughter disliked the school lunch choices, so I put a pot of steel cut oats in the fridge and told her they would make a great, healthy lunch. Fast forward…she loved the oats and shared them with friends and staff. Pretty soon I was selling steel cut oats in the high school to all the students and teachers! As our followers grew, I began to research the many health benefits of Ally’s Oats. I had inherited my mother’s love of steel cut oats.
RT: What is the company’s mission?
AO: To share our love of organic steel cut oats and offer a healthy, ready-to-eat snack or meal. Ally’s Oats are full of vitamins and beta glucan, and are a source of iron, protein, and many other healthy ingredients.
RT: Who are the people behind Ally’s Oats?
AO: I am Alison McShea, the founder, and my partner is Bruce Pomper. Ally’s Organic Oats has also put together a family of enthusiastic Oat helpers. Patricia, my identical twin sister, is a great help with graphic design and business planning. Gabby is our main kitchen staff member and helps manage the kitchen.
RT: What sets Ally’s Oats products apart from other ready-to-eat products on the market?
AO: Ally’s Oats is the only organic steel cut oats, cooked and ready to eat as a meal or snack or dessert throughout the day. Most oats on the market are rolled or steamed, thus have been through a “process”. Ally’s steel cut oats have the husk still on them…this is the gold standard of oats.
RT: Who is your ideal customer?
AO: Anyone looking to eat healthy and feel good! Our steel cut oats are particularly good for anyone who is pre-diabetic or diabetic, due to its low glycemic level.
RT: What’s the latest from Ally’s Oats? Anything new and exciting in the pipeline?
AO: Ally’s Oats has just pushed into Manhattan and has signed on with several new corporations’ Health and Wellness Programs. Ally’s Oats provides employees with a healthy, balanced meal or snack that can help workers be more productive. Our company is expanding and we are looking for larger kitchen space to keep up with growing demand.
RT: How would you describe the role steel cut oats can play for those pursuing a clean, healthy lifestyle?
AO: First, steel cut oats are very low on the glycemic index, which keeps your sugar levels from spiking. Secondly, oats are a complex carb full of vitamins and protein, making them a great snack or meal before or after the gym. Steel cut oats are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber which promotes good colon health and helps you feel fuller, longer. Oats have also been reported to lower bad cholesterol.
RT: At Rising Tide, we love local! What has it meant for you to be a local, Long Island company? How do you focus on local in your business?
AO: Ally’s Oats loves being a Long Island company. We celebrate our North Shore roots by hiring local workers and working in our neighborhood church kitchen. Through our kitchen—based in Huntington N.Y.—Ally’s Oats provides a healthy snack to the homeless men who are given a warm bed, a meal and a packed lunch the next day. We are constantly exploring sourcing local vendors for honey and other ingredients.
RT: What are your healthy, go-to-snacks when not munching on Ally’s Oats?
AO: I make a large pot of chicken chili and veggies every Sunday. It’s full of fresh organic veggies, chicken, and beans. I start my day with an egg over avocado on flax bread. My treat is a piece of Hu Kitchen Dark Chocolate…yummy!
RT: What’s your favorite recipe to make using Ally’s Oats products?
AO: I love my oats on plain greek yogurt with ¼ cup of hot blueberries poured over it and walnuts to top it off. I also love my oats in a morning protein shake. It makes the shake thick and keeps me satiated.
RT: What is one fun thing about Ally’s Oats that no one would know?
AO: I cook the oats in a kitchen that is connected to an “open” room, and there’s a senior yoga class going on as I cook in the early mornings. They are all huge supporters of Ally’s Oats and are cheering us on! Ally’s Oats are cooked in an “ohm” environment. Namaste.
Just in time for Earth Day, we’re excited to announce that our April Charity of the Month—All Our Energy—is all about protecting our local environment.
With its focus on advocacy, education, and empowering people to support renewable energy development and act on environmental protection, All Our Energy is near and dear to our hearts. They educate the public and empower local volunteers to raise awareness, advocate for change, and take action in local beach, waterway, and open space clean-ups.
Some of All Our Energy’s recent successes include the Long Beach and Sea Cliff reusable bag initiatives, which keep millions of needless bags—most of which are made of fossil fuels—from becoming pollution every year.
By contributing to All Our Energy through our Charity of the Month program, we’re all taking a step toward a brighter future for the planet. Thank you, as always, for your support!