- GLUTEN- FREE
- 45 MIN
- SERVES 4-6
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons, garlic minced
- 28 ounces fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds shredded cooked turkey
Corn Bread Topping
- 2 cups high-Lysine cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute then add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in turkey.
- Place mixture evenly in a 9 by 13 oven safe baking dish. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
- For the topping, whisk together cornmeal, salt, milk, and eggs until well mixed. Next fold in cheeses, and corn kernels. Pour mixture over turkey.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.
- Serve with avocado, cilantro, cotija cheese, and guajillo salsa if desired.