These elegant puff pastry twists are as easy as they are delicious. They’re equally at home served as a crunchy side to a comforting bowl of tomato soup as they are on the most elaborate charcuterie spread. Remembering to thaw the frozen puff pastry is the hardest thing you’ll have to handle to pull these off. Feel free to explore additional fillings like prepared pesto, Asiago or Pecorino Romano cheese, everything bagel seasoning, or even cinnamon sugar for a sweet twist.
Total time: 1 hr 30 min
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup poppyseeds
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Lightly flour a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the sheet of puff pastry to smooth out any folds. Cut the pastry in half to form two rectangles and place each piece on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm.
- Combine Parmesan and smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- Brush puff pastry with beaten egg. Sprinkle Parmesan mixture evenly onto one sheet and the poppy seeds onto the second pastry sheet. Gently press topping into pastry using the rolling pin. Chill until firm.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut into ¾-inch wide strips.
- Twist strips of pastry and place on the prepared baking sheets one inch apart, pressing ends down to keep them from unraveling during baking. Chill until firm.
- Bake puff pastry for 20-22 minutes or until golden in color. Cool and serve.