Since 1981, the Bureau has been dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming environment to allow all youth, all families, and the entire community to achieve its potential. Each year, approximately 1,800 young people in grades K-12 participate in the year-round activities and services offered by the City of Glen Cove Youth Bureau, among them: Glen Cove After 3, an after-school and summer enrichment program for grades K–8; a Drop In Center, open to grades 1–5 every day after school and on Saturdays, and to teens in the evenings; a full-day, six-week Summer Camp; a robust Youth Employment Program and more.
There is also a Family Services Program, which provides nutritional assistance and more to 4,426 Glen Cove residents. and a Youth Council, which gives voice to the middle and high school students in the area. So much amazing programming under one roof! We are so grateful to have learned of them and to be able to bring them to you through our Charity of the Month program.
Following is a recipe from the Glen Cove Youth Bureau’s Chef’s Corner cookbook, a compilation of recipes prepared in the last year by students in the Glen Cove After 3 program:
Easy Paleo Shepard’s Pie
Serves 4, www.paleogrubs.com
For the Bottom Layer
1 TBS coconut oil
½ large onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 TBS tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground clove
For the Top Layer
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 TBS ghee, melted
1 tsp spicy Paleo mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Place a couple inches of water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, place steamer insert and then cauliflower florets into the pot and cover. Steam for 12-14 minutes, until tender. Drain and return cauliflower to the pot.
- Add the ghee, mustard, salt and pepper to the cauliflower. Using an immersion blender or food processor, combine the ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chicken broth and remaining spices into the meat mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Distribute the meat mixture evenly among four ramekins and spread the pureed cauliflower on top. Use a fork to create texture in the cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes until the top turns golden. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.