February is Heart Month! Maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle is paramount when it comes to preventing heart disease. There is also a handful of well-studied supplements that may decrease your risk even further. We probed the natural medicine-loving mind of our Wellness guru, Jen, for her very top picks when it comes to preventing cardiovascular disease and maintaining healthy heart function.
- Fish oil: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil is one of the only natural remedies proven to bring down triglycerides. Get it from fish (especially fatty fish like wild salmon, sardines, lake trout or mackerel); the American Heart Association recommends adults eat at least two 3.5-ounce servings of fish each week. Not much of a fish eater? Supplement with 3,000 mg daily; 1,000mg with each meal. Jen recommends Wiley’s Finest Alaskan Fish Oil, on sale for Heart Month: 30 softgels $13.59; 60 softgels $31.99
- Hawthorn: Health-promoting flavonoids are the reason Hawthorn has been used for centuries as a heart remedy. The whole herb form (flower, leaf and berry) has been shown to improve blood flow, guard against blood vessel damage, and otherwise regulate and strengthen heart function. Jen likes organic Hawthorn by Oregon’s Wild Harvest, on sale for Heart Month: 60ct/ $13.59
- CoQ10: Not only does CoQ10 destroy free radicals that cause cardiovascular problems and heart disease, it also sparks energy production in every cell of your body—including the heart. Aging, intense athletic activity, and cholesterol-lowering agents such as red yeast rice and statins can compromise the levels and/or natural production of CoQ10 in the body. Supplement with Blue Bonnet Ubiquinol, the “active” antioxidant form of CoQ10, on sale for Heart Month: 30 softgels $13.19/60 softgels $22.79
In celebration of Heart Month, we’re also discounting the following heart-related supplements:
- Jarrow L Carnitine 500mg, ON SALE: 50ct $18.39/ 100ct $33.59
- Rising Tide Red Yeast Rice 600mg, ON SALE: 60ct $12.37
- MegaFood MegaFlora Probiotic, ON SALE: 30ct/$23.19, 60ct/$36.79, 90ct/$50.39