Who doesn’t love an opportunity for a themed dinner?! These Zesty Chicken Tostadas make a mean main course for your Cinco de Mayo celebration or just a plain ol’ weeknight meal. Crisp-ify your tortillas in the oven and add a mountain of toppings! This recipe utilizes ground chicken and black beans as the protein, and red cabbage, cilantro, radishes and more to add crunchy freshness to your plate. Modify it to suit your dietary needs using meat alternatives or dairy-free substitutions.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 12-6” corn tortillas
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ bunch cilantro
- ½ small red onion, julienned
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chilis and sauté until translucent. Add chicken, breaking up pieces to form a crumbly texture. Cook mixture until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Turn off heat and add lime juice and tamari.
- Meanwhile, place corn tortillas on a baking sheet and baking in oven for 5 minutes or until desired crispness. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare toppings as described above.
- Assemble tostadas by evenly dividing chicken mixture between tortillas. Repeat with black beans, cabbage, radishes, and red onion. Drizzle with sour cream and garnish with cilantro.