There are few things more comforting than a hot bowl of soup on a cold night. Think of this as a no-recipe recipe. Got leftover rice from takeout? Need to clean out the crisper drawer before heading to the store for a restock? Mix and match the vegetables in this warming vegetable soup to your preferences, but make sure to include the ginger!
Total Time: 35 minutes
Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 quarts chicken stock (boxed or homemade)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 ½ cups cooked wild rice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Add ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add stock and carrots. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and kale and return to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender then stir in rice. Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, and sriracha.