Sautéed mushrooms pack a flavorful punch when combined with a melty plant-based cheese! The chicken flavored bouillon contains no meat, but it does add a ton of umami. The beauty of birria-style tacos is that you get a side of dipping sauce! Instead of a traditional consommé, this simplified version uses enchilada sauce, so you don’t have to wait long to enjoy! Feel free to thin the enchilada sauce with veggie broth (maybe mushroom broth!) to get a more typical birria experience. It’s messy, but it’s so good!
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 pounds king or oyster mushrooms
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons chicken flavored vegetarian bouillon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red chilies
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cup store-bought enchilada sauce, heated
- 1 ½ cup plant-based mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Shred king mushrooms by scraping the length of the mushrooms with the tines of a fork, working your way around then pull apart by hand and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Toss in shredded mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, taco seasoning, mock chicken powder, chilies, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until fragrant and mushrooms are tender.
- To assemble, layer 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons of mushrooms onto each tortilla. Fold in half and heat 2 minutes per side in a clean skillet. Once cheese has melted, brush or spoon on sauce to coat tacos.
- Place tacos on a platter and service with remaining enchilada sauce.