You can find a crispy chicken sandwich on every corner these days, but they are not all equal. Making one yourself means you get to have it just how you like it, and you know what’s in it! With some kale slaw and thinly sliced red onion, you’re getting good vegetables and added crunch. The sweet heat of hot honey will keep you wanting more! It may be sticky, but that just makes it finger licking good.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 breaded chicken breasts
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups kale slaw
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chilies
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine hot honey ingredients and warm over low heat for a few minutes to infuse honey with spices. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Prepare chicken breast based on package instructions.*
- Spread butter on buns and toast in a large skillet on low until golden.
- Spread mayonnaise on the top bun and assemble sandwich with slaw, chicken, onions, and hot honey. Serve promptly.
*To make your own breaded chicken, combine 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon of each salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and baking soda. Beat two large eggs together. Take each piece of chicken and dredge in flour then in eggs and back into the flour mixture. Shallow fry or air fry at 350F until internal temperature reaches 165F and continue with recipe. Cooking time varies based on size of chicken breasts.
Substitute breaded chicken with a plant-based version to be meat-free.