While burgers get a lot of love this time of year, don’t sleep on grilled vegetables! You get all the same char-grilled goodness, and you don’t have to heat your kitchen roasting veggies. Worried about losing skinny veggies between the grates of your grill? Either roast veggies whole or use some foil to give them a solid surface. Topped with scallions and feta cheese, this orzo salad is perfect for all your summer get togethers! You can eat it right away warm or let it cool and serve it chilled. A big batch of this in the fridge is perfect to have on hand whenever hunger strikes.
Total time: 40 minutes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 broccoli crown, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large orange bell pepper, julienned
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed chilies
- Preheat grill to 375-400° F. Place broccoli, peppers, and mushrooms on a large sheet of foil and drizzle with four tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the corners of the foil together in the center and crimp any open spaces to seal packet.
- Grill for 25-30 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add orzo. Return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Drain and cool.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and toss with pasta, roasted vegetables, scallions, and feta cheese.