This quick bread is perfect for breakfast in bed or to go with an afternoon coffee. It would also make a fine dessert if it lasts that long! Lemon and blueberry are such a perfect combination. If you don’t see nice fresh blueberries quite yet, you can substitute wild frozen berries. Thawed works best, but if you don’t have time, baking with frozen blueberries works here too! It just may need a few extra minutes in the oven.
Total time: 40 minutes
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In another whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine dry mixture into wet mixture until smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and smooth out top. Bake for 28 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Stir together confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, zest. Drizzle over cake and serve.
Substitutions: replace buttermilk with plant-based milk to make recipe dairy-free.