Berries and cream come together in this classic dessert with a twist! Using plain yogurt in the shortcakes and whipped topping add a probiotic boost and a tangy zip. Fresh Strawberry Shortcakes with Yogurt Cream are the perfect way to end a meal with family and friends.
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Brown Cow Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- ½ cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons cream, for brushing on top
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for topping
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
Soft Whipped Yogurt Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Cow Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- To make the macerated strawberries combine the chopped strawberries, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a medium size bowl. Mix well to combine. Cover and let sit at room temperature or in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. In a large measuring cup combine the cream, yogurt, and egg, whisk well. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg and cream mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix well, until the dough just comes together, and no dry patches of flour remain – do not overmix.
- Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Lightly dust the top of the dough with flour as well as your hand, and press the dough out into a rectangle about 8 x 10″. Fold the dough in thirds like a letter, then press back out into a rectangle. fold in thirds again, the press back out into a rectangle. Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into either six large shortcakes or eight smaller shortcakes.
- Place the shortcakes on the prepared baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the shortcakes with cream, and generously sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- To make the whipped yogurt cream, add the cream and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the yogurt, and gently fold in.
- Assemble the shortcakes right before serving. Split the shortcakes in half. Spoon strawberries on the bottom half and add yogurt whipped cream. Place the other half of the shortcake on top. Enjoy!