Get out your best kitchen knife and start slicing onions because French Onion & Mushroom Soup is on the menu tonight! Indulge in savory, soupy flavors that will warm you from the inside out with this delicious twist on a classic recipe. Chop, chop, chop those onions and get them nice and caramelized before adding the cremini mushrooms to the pot. Simmer all the ingredients together and then add the finishing touch—you know, the crusty, cheesy bread topping broiled to bubbly perfection. Voilà! A cup of soup fit for a king!
- 60 Min
- Serves 6
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds large yellow onions, julienned
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 12 ounces Gruyere, grated
- Melt butter in a 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, and honey, and cook, stirring frequently until caramelized, approximately 40 minutes. As the onions reduce, reduce heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic, cook for 5-8 minutes. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add broth, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Portion soup into oven-safe individual soup bowls. Place filled bowls on a baking sheet. Top with baguette slices and cheese. Broil for 3 minutes on high until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.