What better way to usher in berry season than with an Angel Food Cake? Light and fluffy, this lovely cake punctuates any meal perfectly. Enjoy this delicate dessert as a vehicle to serve homemade whipped cream, fresh berries, and more! It’s still cool enough to utilize your oven and bake in celebration of spring. It’s amazing how such simple ingredients come together to create this tasty classic.
Total time: 2 hours
- 10 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla, whisking until thick and glossy, approximately 10 minutes.
- Sift flour over the egg white mixture. Gently fold to combine. Spoon into an ungreased angel food cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake comes away from the sides of the tin. Invert the tin and allow to cool for 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.