Ooh, we love a good, hearty meal this time of year! Your kitchen will smell amazing as you simmer chicken thighs until they’re falling off the bone. Utilizing Berbere, a spice often used in Ethiopia and Eritrea, this recipe boasts a lovely deep red color and bold flavor to wow the whole family. To make this recipe vegan, replace the chicken with extra firm tofu, and reduce the simmering time to 20 minutes. Serve with rice or your favorite grain to complete this delicious, aromatic meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Berbere spice mix
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-6 chicken thighs
Substitutions: Jamaican spice mix can be used for Berbere spice mix.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add Berbere spice and garlic, cook for a minute. Stir in tomatoes, chickpeas, water, salt and black pepper. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer, on medium low to low heat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Arrange chicken evenly in pan, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, turning occasionally until chicken is falling off the bone.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice.